Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 08:37 AM   #1
mama2mickeyfans
Mouseketeer

Suggestions in transfers/ transportation please

Hi there
We are disney bound for our first cruise on the Fantasy in November. Yay! We are staying at Shades of Green Wednesday thru Fri then off to the terminal! We originally planned to drive but instead just booked flights, so I'm just starting to look into transportation options.
What method would you reccommend from mco to sog and then sog to pc? I know dcl does transportation to the port, my concerns are cost, waiting time, and later/more crowded arrival at pc. I had been hoping to hit the 'sweet spot' around 1230 ish at pc. Maybe not possible without our own car.
Ideas?
In our party me, dh, dm, ds4 and dd1. My inlaws also with us will have their own car and will either need to park at terminal or...? we will be bringing car seats along and onboard. Thanks!
mama2mickeyfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:10 AM   #2
mama2mickeyfans
Mouseketeer

Follow up question, any experience with Ace transportation?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-30-2013, 11:22 AM   #3
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Disney transfers are $35 pp or $70 roundtrip. They leave from all the resorts at WDW (but I do not know if they leave from SOG).

DCL transfers do not leave from WDW until 11:30-12:30 depending on the resort so if you do take transfers you won't get to the port until 12:30-1:30 ish.

You could take the ME back to the airport and grab the DCL bus from there (same cost but leaves at 9:30 am). But, this option is a bit of hassle.

Why not just rent a car. Pick it up at the airport when you land and then drive to PC and return it to one of the car rental places in Cape Canaveral. This will probably be your least expensive option. Then you can take the DCL bus one way $35 pp back to the airport to fly home.

The car rental places near the port are: Avis, Budget, Hertz, Thrifty/Dollar and Enterprise. All have shuttles to and from the ship. you can find discount codes at www.mousesavers.com.

Also, please use the full URL of the website or company you are referring to so the board filter can do its job. Example below. Thanks.

http://www.aceluxurytransportation.com/

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:45 PM   #4
mama2mickeyfans
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the info I will compare rental prices. Helps to know which can drop off directly at port! Sorry about the url, I had only heard of the company by searching the forums so didn't have the website. Should have googled it I guess.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:09 PM   #5
mama2mickeyfans
Mouseketeer

Hm. Right now at budget dot com (sorry I cannot post links yet) I see $175 for the rental. Plus 175 (5x$35) for xfer to mco and I'm at the same price as the private car. Thats with mousesavers code (sorry should link that too). So many people recommend the rental but I am not seeing a price advantage currently... thanks for the help.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:24 PM   #6
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Many variables determine what the rental car price will be...size, date, length of stay, type of car, times you pick up and drop off, etc.

It is very possible that the limo service could be the same price as the car. I always check rental codes and companies all the time, even after I book a car. Just last week I rechecked and through a different company for the same time period I saved $100 on a special so cancelled the original (Budget and booked with Thrifty). I personally like having a car at WDW. Also figure into the equation that children under 3 do not pay for DCL tranfers. Also, the car rental places are not at the port but about 2-4 miles away from the port.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

Last edited by mmouse37; 01-30-2013 at 02:36 PM.
mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:52 PM   #7
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Another option would be to rent the car for a single day only--you can pick up a Budget rental at the Doubletree hotel by downtown Disney. It's a bit over a 5 minute walk from the Marketplace bus stop and they offer a shuttle with limited hours that will pick you up a your hotel. We usually get the car on the afternoon before the cruise (one less thing to do in the morning)..never had to wait to pick up. Discount codes at rentalcodes.com and mousesavers.com.

Does Magical Express run to SOG? Or do you need the car for the whole time you are at WDW? And, (hopefully this doesn't stir up too much)...my sis is married to an Air Force officer. They don't choose to stay at SOG based on prices and the fact that they can usually get WDW deals like free dining that make staying at a regular WDW resort to be better for them. If you are going in November, you're likely to see a free dining promotion other than over Thanksgiving week.

For in laws parking--parking at terminal $15 per day. Parking at off site places like Park and Cruise is $6 per day. Check on line for senior discount, advance booking discount, periodic sales, etc. Shuttle to terminal complimentary. It really depends on whether they want the convenience of parking at the terminal or the cost savings of off site.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:09 PM   #8
mama2mickeyfans
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the heads up on the dining promo! ME does not run to SOG unfortunately. Also did not realize dcl would not charge for dd1... that keeps it interesting. We are leaning toward private car 3 leg service for simplicity and to control arrival time... but hmm. Lots to consider. Dh gets travel anxiety so there is something to be said for minimizing ins and outs with luggage and carseats etc. The less yelling we can do while on vacation the better ;-)
Old 01-30-2013, 04:02 PM   #9
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2mickeyfans View Post
Thanks for the heads up on the dining promo! ME does not run to SOG unfortunately. Also did not realize dcl would not charge for dd1... that keeps it interesting. We are leaning toward private car 3 leg service for simplicity and to control arrival time... but hmm. Lots to consider. Dh gets travel anxiety so there is something to be said for minimizing ins and outs with luggage and carseats etc. The less yelling we can do while on vacation the better ;-)
I think I'd start running a price comparison--
SOG + limo service at least 1 way + food. You will be quickly using up some of your savings!
Stay at ? resort, free ME to resort, free dining plan.

The good thing is that you don't have to make all the decisions now for a November trip. Happy planning.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: