Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 08:10 AM   #16
jcjen519
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by viccarol View Post
Hi I'm going on my first cruise this aug - been to DLP so many times that my DD thinks that's where all holidays are - anyhow we had a private meet with mickey and Donald last year at the SL - it was a bit of pixie dust from Disney after a disappointing trip we had experienced the year before - it was lovely and the half hour flew by - by the time they had chased the kids round, had photos and autographs - if you think your little ones will enjoy it go for it - I was a bit apprehensive before the meet but it was done really well :-)
thanks! good to know about the time. thinking about it, I can see how this would be true. I'll bet you have some great memories and photos

2015June6 days akv- club levelMarch- 9 days Boardwalk villas spring break 2014: December: YC CL, 12/12 dream concierge, 10 days AKV-CL July: 4 days boardwalk villas/Boardwalk Inn club level June -1 day OKW, 8 days GF RPC May - 4 days GF RPC march-April - 10 days Poly cl/ 2013: Bay Lake Tower TPV, fantasy concierge, bc cl, poly cl (2x), gf sl, vero beach resort 2012 - Vero beach resort, OKW, Poly cl (too many to count before that)
Husband, myself and 4 year old son
jcjen519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:15 AM   #17
bats
Enjoying Bahama Mama's

I would say that if you had a child/adult with something like autism, it could actually be very beneficial.

No crowds, time to relax, no shouting ... a lovely experience if the normal way of meeting a character doesn't suit.

Never mind the money ... if you've got it, spend it .. you're a long time dead!
Enjoy every minute if you go for it

We had a private meeting with Pluto last year, it wasn't 30 mins though, more like 30 seconds. We were in the elevator though!!!
Quality Inn International Apr 2003 - Magic Mouse Villa on Windsor Palms Apr 2006 - Hong Kong Disney Jan 2007 - Dibb villa & Disney Wonder Sept 2008 - Dibb villa for DBF's 40th Feb 2009 - Dibb villa Sept 2009 - Disneyland Paris Nov 2009 - Disneyland California Apr 2010 - Disney Magic 8 night Western Europe Jul 2010 - SSR Sept 2010 - Maiden Voyage on The Dream Jan 26th 2011 - Disney Magic Med cruise Aug 2011 - OKW Sept 2011 - AKV & Disney Dream Feb 2012 - SSR & Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean Oct 2012 - Disney Magic B2B Med Aug 2013 - Disney Magic Med May 2014 - Disney Magic WBTA & our wedding Sept 2014 Disney Magic 11 night Fjords/Iceland/Orkney Isles Jun 2015
bats is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-30-2013, 08:16 AM   #18
Trish.Glenn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcjen519

thanks guys! Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion, but I really just wanted to talk about the experience. Leave the cost/value analysis up to me
We as a family had this 1/2 hour experience on our cruise. We had 7 kids with us and 1/2 hour was not long enough....lol! It was wonderful and have wonderful photos!!!
2001 - Disney Cruise (Eastern)
2003 - Disney Cruise (Western)
2006 - Off property
2008 - Off property
2009 - Off property
2011 - Coronado
2012 - Pop
Trish.Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:22 AM   #19
viccarol
Earning My Ears

The photos and memories are brill - it was nice not to be hurried and we managed to get some pictures of all of us together - my nephew (3.5 at the time) was really scared of the characters before the meet but because of the time frame he came round and was looking out for characters for the rest of the trip
viccarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:22 AM   #20
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club ~ My driveway to WDW = 1 hour!

Location: Tampa, FL resident since 2007 (formally from Lorain & Columbus O-H-I-O)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcjen519

thanks guys! Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion, but I really just wanted to talk about the experience. Leave the cost/value analysis up to me
Yup. Had the same issue on a thread I posted yesterday - wanted people to reply if they actually did what I was inquiring about, not give their opinion on how they thought what I was proposing was crazy......

Sorry - I went off topic......

Good luck with your research & decision!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2015 - Wonder Mar 4n; Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic - Oct SOUTHERN/B2B repo ~ 2013 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 - June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 - Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:28 AM   #21
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox97

Yup. Had the same issue on a thread I posted yesterday - wanted people to reply if they actually did what I was inquiring about, not give their opinion on how they thought what I was proposing was crazy......

Sorry - I went off topic......

Good luck with your research & decision!

Lol, so you are reaming people for going off topic, going ot yourself.

Sorry, op if I offended. I caught your thread in the current list on my phone. It was interesting so I wondered out loud. Didn't think that you were wasting your money just no clue what could fill the time.

I appreciate the answers that addressed this.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:46 AM   #22
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club ~ My driveway to WDW = 1 hour!

Location: Tampa, FL resident since 2007 (formally from Lorain & Columbus O-H-I-O)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny square

Reaming people? Really???? WOW!!! I didn't even mention people going off topic. And i certainly didn't 'ream' anyone. What I did mention was people making comments with regards to things they know nothing about but decide they want to be judgmental instead. That does not ADD to the discussion AT ALL.

These boards have become awful lately!!!!

2015 - Wonder Mar 4n; Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic - Oct SOUTHERN/B2B repo ~ 2013 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 - June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 - Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:53 AM   #23
jelliott04
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny square View Post
I don't think anyone reamed anyone for going off topic. I had the same initial reaction as you did...what the heck would we do with a character for 30 minutes...but then I started thinking about it and came up with the birthday party, wedding, reunion etc. Didn't even think about a face character until someone said that.

Let's recap:

The OP was asked how much a private interaction cost, and the OP responded with the price but also asked everyone not to pipe in with their opinions on whether or not it was a justifiable purchase.

No one reamed anyone. Let's all settle down.

J
Old 01-30-2013, 09:15 AM   #24
sambycat
DIS Veteran

What a bargain! if you get married at wdw @inviting" a character to your wedding is about $850/30", 2 for ~$1200 and always increasing. It was awesome at our reception. Wouldn't bother with it on the cruise personally...

sambycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:20 AM   #25
kcashner
DIS Veteran

A above, I've heard of it being done for an "occasion" like a wedding reception, vow renewal, proposal, etc. but never heard of it being done as 30 minutes of "alone time" with a character. A birthday party makes sense.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:38 AM   #26
jcjen519
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny square View Post

Sorry, op if I offended. I caught your thread in the current list on my phone. It was interesting so I wondered out loud. Didn't think that you were wasting your money just no clue what could fill the time.

I appreciate the answers that addressed this.

I wasn't offended by anything anyone said. I also didn't mind sharing the cost, but just wanted to express my desire not to be attacked for spending so much. I was afraid it would turn into something like that. thats all. not a response to anything you or anyone else said.

2015June6 days akv- club levelMarch- 9 days Boardwalk villas spring break 2014: December: YC CL, 12/12 dream concierge, 10 days AKV-CL July: 4 days boardwalk villas/Boardwalk Inn club level June -1 day OKW, 8 days GF RPC May - 4 days GF RPC march-April - 10 days Poly cl/ 2013: Bay Lake Tower TPV, fantasy concierge, bc cl, poly cl (2x), gf sl, vero beach resort 2012 - Vero beach resort, OKW, Poly cl (too many to count before that)
Husband, myself and 4 year old son
jcjen519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:32 AM   #27
Eeyore'sthebest
DIS Veteran
Not So Tagless in NJ
They don't call them crackberries for nothing!
talk about chafing!

I think it's great for a larger family or a birthday party! That sounds absolutely fabulous if it's in your budget! We have one DD and it would seem odd for 1 DD (she's already 13). At her age she would look at me like I was crazy!

I do really like the idea for special events. And thank you OP. I never knew this existed. If I had I would have done it for my parent's 50th anniversary when we had all my sister's and their families on the boat. It would have been awesome. Okay, now I'm bummed.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:41 AM   #28
bats
Enjoying Bahama Mama's

If you have them for your wedding/vow renewal onboard, they don't go to the actually ceremony, rather the cake cutting and champgane afterwards ... this is around 1 hour but obviously the character would only be there for 1/2 hour.

We thought about having a character to our wedding onboard, but dismissed it as not everyone are Disney fans, so we didn't want to 'force' it on them at the cake cutting.

If I had young children and I had enough money though .. I would so go for it!!
The characters I've seen at the weddings dance to music with everyone, have photos, sign autographs and generally look like they're having fun. I guess it's exactly the same at a private gathering!
Quality Inn International Apr 2003 - Magic Mouse Villa on Windsor Palms Apr 2006 - Hong Kong Disney Jan 2007 - Dibb villa & Disney Wonder Sept 2008 - Dibb villa for DBF's 40th Feb 2009 - Dibb villa Sept 2009 - Disneyland Paris Nov 2009 - Disneyland California Apr 2010 - Disney Magic 8 night Western Europe Jul 2010 - SSR Sept 2010 - Maiden Voyage on The Dream Jan 26th 2011 - Disney Magic Med cruise Aug 2011 - OKW Sept 2011 - AKV & Disney Dream Feb 2012 - SSR & Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean Oct 2012 - Disney Magic B2B Med Aug 2013 - Disney Magic Med May 2014 - Disney Magic WBTA & our wedding Sept 2014 Disney Magic 11 night Fjords/Iceland/Orkney Isles Jun 2015
bats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:58 AM   #29
calker
Mouseketeer

I have no experience with the character private meet, but I did want to mention:

If you are staying concierge, there is a "Concierge Guests Only" event where your entire cabin is invited to a reception and a "special guest" will appear to interact and have your picture taken.

You might want to check with the concierge staff and find out who will be at that event before booking your character - you don't want to duplicate.

We had Mickey Mouse as our special guest - he spent a great deal of time at the event and had pictures taken with each individual and several different family group shots.

calker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:33 AM   #30
scrapbookmomma74
We love DCL!!!

If you are traveling concierge (sounds like you are), there will probably be a private character meet & greet in the lounge for about 30 minutes one of the days. We didn't know ahead of time, but it was my favorite character, Goofy!
Other than that, we've met many of the princesses onboard, just wandering about...my 9 year old had about a 10 minute conversation with Ariel down a stateroom hallway one time...it was priceless!
I have found that the characters onboard will take a little time with each guest at the photo opps as well. So unlike the parks where it is all "take the picture and move along". We witnessed Pluto being VERY doglike with some guests on our recent Dream cruise, and it was fabulous.

If you decide to do this, I would LOVE to hear how it worked out. What you spend your $$ on is your decision.

Regardless, have a fabulous cruise!
A lifetime of memories at the "World"! 1974, 1975, 1983, 1993, 1995, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, DCL Magic 2010, DCL Magic 2011, DCL Dream 2011, DCL Magic 2012, DCL Fantasy 2012, DCL Dream 2012, DVC Member Cruise Dream 2013, DL Resort Summer 2013, DCL Fantasy 2013, DCL Magic 2014
[/url][url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
scrapbookmomma74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: