Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 06:04 AM   #1
jcjen519
DIS Veteran

Private Character Interaction

Anyone done this? What was the experience like. For those who don't know....you can set up an interaction with your child and a character in a private place on the ship (not your stateroom). You give them your list of top three characters and they do their best to get no. 1 and if it is not possible move down the list from there.

I've discussed it with the shoreside concierge but wondered if anyone had any first hand experience. who was the character? what did they do during the 30 minute time frame? was the character your first choice?

thanks for any input

2015 June 6 days akv- club level March- 9 days Boardwalk villas spring break January GF RPC and disney dream 2014: December: YC CL, 12/12 dream concierge, 10 days AKV-CL October 3 days Grand Floridian Halloween Party TripJuly: 4 days boardwalk villas/Boardwalk Inn club level June -1 day OKW, 8 days GF RPC May - 4 days GF RPC march-April - 10 days Poly cl/ 2013: Bay Lake Tower TPV, fantasy concierge, bc cl, poly cl (2x), gf sl, vero beach resort 2012 - Vero beach resort, OKW, Poly cl 2011 - Disney Dream and AKV- Kidani (our son's first disney trip) 2010 Disney's Vero Beach Resort 2009 Disney's Vero Beach Resort (our son's first vacation)
Husband, myself and 5 year old son
jcjen519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:06 AM   #2
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcjen519
Anyone done this? What was the experience like. For those who don't know....you can set up an interaction with your child and a character in a private place on the ship (not your stateroom). You give them your list of top three characters and they do their best to get no. 1 and if it is not possible move down the list from there.

I've discussed it with the shoreside concierge but wondered if anyone had any first hand experience. who was the character? what did they do during the 30 minute time frame? was the character your first choice?

thanks for any input
Never done it but am at a loss as to what anyone could do with a character for 1/2 an hour!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-30-2013, 06:19 AM   #3
jcjen519
DIS Veteran

me too. I think my son would love it but feel like it would get awkward after the first 10 minutes (haha) I'm hoping someone who has experienced this can tell me a little more about it. Maybe we could arrange to have some kind of silly, easy games for them to play?

2015 June 6 days akv- club level March- 9 days Boardwalk villas spring break January GF RPC and disney dream 2014: December: YC CL, 12/12 dream concierge, 10 days AKV-CL October 3 days Grand Floridian Halloween Party TripJuly: 4 days boardwalk villas/Boardwalk Inn club level June -1 day OKW, 8 days GF RPC May - 4 days GF RPC march-April - 10 days Poly cl/ 2013: Bay Lake Tower TPV, fantasy concierge, bc cl, poly cl (2x), gf sl, vero beach resort 2012 - Vero beach resort, OKW, Poly cl 2011 - Disney Dream and AKV- Kidani (our son's first disney trip) 2010 Disney's Vero Beach Resort 2009 Disney's Vero Beach Resort (our son's first vacation)
Old 01-30-2013, 06:23 AM   #4
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

I assume these are "face" characters who can talk instead of the furry creatures?
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:31 AM   #5
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

That would make more sense. Didn't think of face characters!
Old 01-30-2013, 06:34 AM   #6
jcjen519
DIS Veteran

no, not just face characters. It is usually mickey, minnie, pluto or goofy.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:40 AM   #7
iamadisneynut
Mouseketeer

What is the cost associated with this? And what have people done with the character for a half hour??

iamadisneynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:43 AM   #8
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

On a Disney cruise my adult DD complimented one of the princesses how pretty she was and the princess gushed, "I know!"

I do hope the one-on-one interraction with one of the fab 4 has more to offer than that.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:46 AM   #9
jcjen519
DIS Veteran

I"d like to hear about experiences too. The cost is high and I'll share it because anyone could easily figure it out by calling disney, its $550. Can we please not turn this into a discussion about cost and worth it or not worth it? It is certainly an indulgence and not necessary to enjoy the trip.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:11 AM   #10
MagicMe
DIS Veteran

I love to go on the cruise as I feel you have more interaction with the characters than at the parks and even at the character meals. Regardless of the money, this is a personal expense that could reap priceless memories for you and your family. People spend as much on spa appointments (over in 1-2 hours), Remy dinner (close if you add the wine package and tips), cabanas at CC, etc. It's all personal taste and determines the experience you want for your cruise.

I do think you are smart in researching the experience as much as possible to hopefully ensure a return for your investment.

Good luck with whatever you decide and I hope your entire cruise is a Magical, Wonderful, Dreamy, Fantastic time!!!
Disney Dream/AKL - JUL14; Disney Fantasy - SEP12; Disney Dream/OKW - OCT11; Disney Wonder - Alaska AUG11; Disney Magic WBTA - Sep10; Disney Magic - Sep08; WL - Dec07-MVMCP; OKW - Oct/Nov06-MNSSHP; Disney Wonder - Aug06; OKW - Sept05; Disneyland - Jun04; Offsite - Dec03-MVMCP; Poly - Aug02; POR/Wonder - Aug00; POR - Jul99; And many more...

MagicMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:14 AM   #11
jelliott04
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcjen519 View Post
I"d like to hear about experiences too. The cost is high and I'll share it because anyone could easily figure it out by calling disney, its $550. Can we please not turn this into a discussion about cost and worth it or not worth it? It is certainly an indulgence and not necessary to enjoy the trip.
It is sad that you have to put that caveat in the thread. I have read the Disboards off and on for many many years and I've noticed lately that it seems people are getting more and more cranky with each other. So many threads turn into rants about other guests. Do some guests suck? Yes they do but don't let it ruin your vacation. Between what people choose to pay for, laundry room procedures and tipping...well let's just say it doesn't seem very magical to me.

If you want to pay $550 for a particular experience then go for it and don't feel you have to explain yourself to any of the negative nelly's who frequent this forum!

Just to bring it back on topic, for 30 minutes you could almost have a private birthday party or similar with the character there. That would be fun! Or a wedding or reunion get together.

J
Old 01-30-2013, 07:19 AM   #12
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelliott04

It is sad that you have to put that caveat in the thread. I have read the Disboards off and on for many many years and I've noticed lately that it seems people are getting more and more cranky with each other. So many threads turn into rants about other guests. Do some guests suck? Yes they do but don't let it ruin your vacation. Between what people choose to pay for, laundry room procedures and tipping...well let's just say it doesn't seem very magical to me.

If you want to pay $550 for a particular experience then go for it and don't feel you have to explain yourself to any of the negative nelly's who frequent this forum!

Just to bring it back on topic, for 30 minutes you could almost have a private birthday party or similar with the character there. That would be fun! Or a wedding or reunion get together.

J
WELL SAID!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2015 - Wonder Mar 4n; Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic - Oct SOUTHERN/B2B repo ~ 2013 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 - June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 - Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:35 AM   #13
viccarol
Earning My Ears

Hi I'm going on my first cruise this aug - been to DLP so many times that my DD thinks that's where all holidays are - anyhow we had a private meet with mickey and Donald last year at the SL - it was a bit of pixie dust from Disney after a disappointing trip we had experienced the year before - it was lovely and the half hour flew by - by the time they had chased the kids round, had photos and autographs - if you think your little ones will enjoy it go for it - I was a bit apprehensive before the meet but it was done really well :-)
viccarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:59 AM   #14
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

I have only seen posts of this being done for wedding photos or proposals on the ship. I've never read of anyone doing this for a child. I agree that it would make a birthday party special.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:08 AM   #15
jcjen519
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox97 View Post
WELL SAID!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

thanks guys! Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion, but I really just wanted to talk about the experience. Leave the cost/value analysis up to me

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: