Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 12:55 PM   #1
mom2mikel
Mouseketeer

Holy high rental car rates for LGA 5/23-5/27 -- any suggestions?

Is LaGuardia *always* so expensive? We can get great airfare into LGA, but the rental cars are really expensive OR higher airfare into Newark (EWR) but rental cars are more reasonable.

Alamo doesn't operate at LGA (I think) so that limits our options. I've tried Costco rates, hotwire, various codes found on FatWallet and the best I've found is $284 for a compact or economy car.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

TIA!

Oh - the details: pick up 5/23 3pm, return 5/27 6pm
mom2mikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:59 PM   #2
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

As a person who is dealing with high rental car prices because of a holiday (president's day) that happens to fall at the end of our trip (the holiday was not taken into consideration while booking), all I can say is...reschedule the trip away from Memorial Day weekend.

I know, helpful, right?

But also know that rental car prices tend to come down. I started looking at cars when the prices were *several* hundred dollars for our time period, and I've since gotten a lower rate. I'd still like it to be lower, and at 12 days from rental I'm still checking, since in the past things have come down mere days before my rental starts. Hope hope hope! (in my case, it's not the pickup that's over the weekend, but the dropoff, which makes it even more annoying for me)

Best of luck!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-30-2013, 06:41 PM   #3
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Um... You can't compare pricing in Orlando to NYC. Yes, it is generally going to cost a lot more. It is a high cost area.
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:01 PM   #4
Paging Tom Morrow
DIS Veteran

Where are you staying? There are a ton of rental sites throughout the NYC area. You may be better off taking a cab to your hotel and finding a rental elsewhere or just using mass transit if you are staying in Manhattan.
Boardwalk Villas - 2006, 2012
Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa - 2009, 2013
Contemporary Resort - 2002
Yacht Club - 2004
Walt Disney Swan - 2005
Old Key West - 2012, 2014, 2015
Grand Floridian Resort and Spa - 2014
Paging Tom Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:28 PM   #5
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paging Tom Morrow
Where are you staying? There are a ton of rental sites throughout the NYC area. You may be better off taking a cab to your hotel and finding a rental elsewhere or just using mass transit if you are staying in Manhattan.
Good suggestions. Neighborhood locations might be closed on Memorial Day. Orlando rental rates dont relate to rates in places like NYC
WAIT and there might not be cars available
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:57 PM   #6
bru_ellman
Having a Disney Day!

I live here in NY and rent a car when we need one. That's a pretty good rate for Memorial Day weekend and like another poster suggested, if you wait too long you might not get anything. Though you still have plenty of time right now.

BTW, in NY the airport usually has better prices and availability than the local rental locations.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:47 PM   #7
dsneprincess
DIS Veteran

I also think that is a pretty good rate for a holiday weekend in a major high rent district! I would snap it up. You can always rebook and cancel if you find for less.......
dsneprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:57 AM   #8
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

The OP is renting a car for 4 days + 3 hours. You're being charged for 5 days. Some agencies charge you a weekly rate. Others charge the daily rate. 5 Days at the daily rate will generally cost more then the weekly rate.

Giving the matter some more thought, I think the rates you got were pretty good.

There are people in NYC who don't own a car. They rent a car for vacation. Memorial Day is the start of the summer. Book something now. Keep checking. If I'm wrong you can rebook and save a few dollars. If I'm right the rate will keep going up until there aren't any cars available.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:33 PM   #9
mom2mikel
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone I was more frustrated with the difference between LaGuardia ($400) vs Newark ($200). We decided for several reasons to fly into Newark so I was able to get the lower rate there.

Oh, and that $284 for compact was not correct -- my friend sent me bad info. The best I found was $384 out of LaGuardia.

I do love MCO rates though

Thanks again!!!
mom2mikel is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: