Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 08:54 AM   #31
vettegirl
Proud USAF Wife!

Enjoying reading about your adventures!

vettegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:36 PM   #32
nutz2notz
Mouseketeer

Yes, you guys are cute and I'm really enjoying your reviews.

Looking forward to more.
March 2011: OKW First Solo
Janaury 2011: SSR then AKV Kidani
January 2010: Grand Californian
December 2007: SSR
January 2007: SSR
January 1996: Offsite
nutz2notz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-08-2013, 06:07 PM   #33
SimplyGoofy
"You are not Mickey Mouse... you are a rat!" "Rat, shmat. Besides, they're tourists. What do they know?"

Joining in!

I have also found the service at Brown Derby to be sub-par. It was certainly the worst service we had at a signature restaurant (and quite a few non-signature restaurants!). We were on the dining plan, too, so perhaps that was the difference? (I know it's not supposed to make a difference, but our server certainly gave us the impression we were a waste of her time. I thought it was rather rude.)

That plate of crab and lobster looks amazing! You will have to try the Rose & Crown sometime... we thought it was great!

Feb 2012 - A Savanna, A Wizard, and Oodles of Food - AKL/DxDP/WWoHP
SimplyGoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:31 AM   #34
lobsterkmd
Mouseketeer

Loving your reviews!! The service at Brown Derby is up and down. I have had the best WDW service thus far there and I have also had the worst. Luckily the best was the last time I dined there- I almost didn't go.

I am looking forward to reading more!!
Old 03-09-2013, 07:10 AM   #35
princess aleya
DIS Veteran

Enjoying your review, can't wait see more. Everything looks amazing
Old 03-16-2013, 01:10 PM   #36
DisDreamsAshley
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyGoofy View Post
Joining in!

I have also found the service at Brown Derby to be sub-par. It was certainly the worst service we had at a signature restaurant (and quite a few non-signature restaurants!). We were on the dining plan, too, so perhaps that was the difference? (I know it's not supposed to make a difference, but our server certainly gave us the impression we were a waste of her time. I thought it was rather rude.)

That plate of crab and lobster looks amazing! You will have to try the Rose & Crown sometime... we thought it was great!

We are getting ready to go back to WDW in about a month. We are definitly trying Rose & Crown this time. DH finally decided that too many people like it for us not to try it!

11/13 Pop *4/13 CSR * 12/12 POR * 4/12 CBR * 2011 POR * 2010 CSR * 2004 AKL * 1999 off site * 1996 WL * 1994 FW
DisDreamsAshley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:25 PM   #37
DisDreamsAshley
Mouseketeer

Le Cellier

So up next is Le Celliers! I've been trying for about three trips to Disney to get ADRs here, but since we always plan our trips fairly last minute, they are usually booked up. This time, I got lucky! DH also ended up enjoying it so much, he spammed our mobile magic app for another reservation to open up. He actually found several, but I told him twice in one trip is plenty!

Bread

I really loved the pretzel sticks. But neither of us cared for the one with the sunflower seeds. It was very dry.

Whiskey Flight

Chuck loves whiskey so he decided to get the flight. He enjoyed it so much, he got two on our second trip here!.

Margarita Flight

I decided to try this. It was pretty good. I picked up the glowing ice cube at one point to turn it off from flashing, and I dropped it on the corner of the glass. It totally broke the glass. Our waitress was really cool about it though, and said that the glasses are tiny and delicate. She even brought me a new drink even though I had drank that one.

Margarita

I had this our second dinner there. It was pretty tasty.

"Cedar Creek" Clams Provençal Oven-roasted Tomato, Fennel, and Garlic-Basil Pistou 15.00

Chuck had this the first dinner. He proclaimed them to be amazing, especially the broth.

Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup made with Moosehead Beer and "Neuske's" Smoked Bacon 9.00

I had the soup, I don't usually order soups at restaurants. But I was so glad I did! This was super yummy and cheesy.

Assortment of Artisanal Cheese with Chef's Selection of Dried Fruits and Preserves 14.00

I also don't usualy get cheese plates, but I did quite a bit on this trip. This was probably my favorite. I loved the honeycomb and Brie combination.

"Chef's Garden" Caesar Salad Baby Romaine, Brioche Croutons, Parmesan, and Boquerones 10.00

Chuck said that as salads go this was pretty good, but he would have rather had clams again.

“Le Cellier” Mushroom Filet Mignon AAA Canadian Beef Tenderloin with Wild Mushroom Risotto, White Turffle-Butter Sauce, and Micro Chervil 43.00

So as I said we had the same entrees on both nights since we loved them so much. I'm usually not a steak person, but this was the best steak I've ever had, and the risotto was so delicious!

Canadian “AAA” New York Strip Steak with Potato Pavé, Wilted Spinach, and Vin Rouge Reduction 44.00

DH is a steak person however. He loved his. He said it was the best steak of the trip.

Maple Crème Brûlée 6.99

I enjoyed the ceme brulee. It probably wasn't the best I've ever had, but it was still super yummy.

White Chocolate Cheesecake Citrus Shortbread Cookie, Seasonal Berries, and Raspberry Air 10.00

The while chocolate cheesecake was delicious! I did think that the outter layer has a weird texture

Chocolate Trio

I can't find this on their current menu. But it was a chocolate trio. Chuck loves the molten cake, which is his favorite dessert. He got it both times!

So the food was super good, and our service was amazing. We really enjoyed it here. Even waiting for out table was kinda fun. The first night we were there, the staff asked us Disney trivia questions. So that was fun.

11/13 Pop *4/13 CSR * 12/12 POR * 4/12 CBR * 2011 POR * 2010 CSR * 2004 AKL * 1999 off site * 1996 WL * 1994 FW
Old 03-17-2013, 12:54 PM   #38
DisDreamsAshley
Mouseketeer

Nine Dragons

The next day we headed back to Epcot. We were meeting some friends there that would hang out with us for the rest of our trip. You'll probably see them later in the report, because we did eat some meals together. But not this one. So we were feeling a bit adventurous and decided to try Nine Dragons. We discussed it for quite a bit before going in as I had read lots of mixed reviews on it, and most were not good.

I found the restaurant very pretty, and the staff to be very polite and nice. Our CM was super sweet and nice, but also very quiet and timid. We were seated at a small 2 seater table, and had the room basically to ourselves.

Shrimp and Chicken Egg Rolls
Tender Shrimp, Roast Chicken and fresh Bell Peppers, served with Plum-Chili and Ginger-Soy Sauces

Chuck got the egg rolls. He said they were really flavorful and he was glad that he got them.

Shrimp and Taro Lollipops
Playful take on a traditional Dim Sum favorite, served with special Wu Xiang Dipping Sauce

I was still feeling adventurous and these sounded yummy. I really enjoyed them and Chuck liked them too. They were crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.

Now, when our sweet waitress brought them out, as you can see the sauce sites on the wood plate thing. Well, I stupidly had my camera sitting on the edge of the table near the wall. When she places the plate down, the sauce slide right off because she tipped it. It spilled all over my new camera, the table, and me! She kept saying "are you all right" over and over. Everything cleaned up fine and I spent some time scrubbing the stickiness out of the crevices of my camera, but we didn't see much of her the rest of the meal. I think she was embarrassed the poor thing.

Nine Dragons Fried Rice
Stir-Fried with Chicken, Ham, Eggs, and Vegetables, topped with Grilled Shrimp

So this was Chucks dish. He was disappointed with it. He said it was luke warm and didn't have much flavoring. He didn't think it had been fried together, but rather just mixed up together. (the veggies and meat seperate from the rice).
Honey-Sesame Chicken

This was delicious. I'm glad that I got something simple, that I would get at home even. The honey sauce was super tasty on the chicken, and I thought it made a very pretty plate. I was please with this.

Coconut Rice Pudding
Nutty and Creamy - Sticky Red Rice Pudding infused with Coconut Milk and touch of Cinnamon served with Wonton Crisps

DH found this pretty flavorless as well. He was really excited about it, but just thought it tasted bland. He didn't eat much and instead sat and watched me eat my dessert.

Ice Cream
Strawberry-Red Bean or Caramel-Ginger

I had the Strawberry-red bean ice cream. A-MAZING. Seriously. So yummy. I sat and ait a good bit until I didn't think Chuck could handle it anymore. He personally didn't care for the ice cream, but he doesn't really like strawberries.

Afterwards the food didn't sit very well on our tummies as Chinese food sometimes does. So we headed back to the POR for a nap. Obviously this wasn't the worst meal we've had but I don't think we'd go back. While my food was pretty good, Chuck didn't like his at all. I'm glad we tried it for our own, but I felt like we should have listened to some reviews.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:34 PM   #39
DisDreamsAshley
Mouseketeer

The California Grill

For dinner we were meeting our friends at the California Grill before MVMCP! We're big fans of the CG and have eaten there before, and we are big fans of the party! So it was going to be a super night!

Our friends were a bit late to our ADR's, but we were able to get seated almost right away once they arrived. We sat in a section that was a round room with what would be an awesome view of Bay Lake I assume. But it was dark, and we couldn't see anything.

We did have rather slow service this time, which was slightly annoying since we were trying to make it to the party. Again, I debate weather being on the dinning plan effects your service. Our waiter was around and present in the room a lot...just not at our table. We had to get his attention a lot.

On to the food!!!I realize this is all changing, but it's still fun to share!

Spicy Kazan Roll . . . Crab, Shrimp, Scallops, Tuna, Fireball Sauce

So three of us got this for our appetizer. I love this dish. I get it every time I come here. The spicy sauce is in the middle loaded with scallops. It is rather spicy so I like that, because if your a baby like me, you can only handle a little bit of spice. The scallops just sort of melt in your mouth and feel so delicate. DELICIOUS!

“Dragon Roll” . . . Spicy and Tataki Tuna, Shrimp Tempura, Bell Pepper, Avocado, Chili-Soy Glaze

We all had a taste of this as it was HUGE. My piece had avocado on top instead of the tune. It was pretty tasty. I enjoyed it a lot.

Oak-fired Filet of Beef . . . Buttered Purple Stokes Mash, Citrus-glazed Baby Carrots, Teriyaki Barbecue
I forgot to get a picture of this. Chuck and one of our friends got this. Chuck said it was ok, nothing special, nothing too bad. I think it was over cooked though. Ingrid, our friend, didn't care for it I believe.

Seared Diver Scallops. . . Chestnut Risotto, Maple-Squash Broth, Honey-Chestnuts

I got these. They were ok. They weren't very warm, and I understand it's hard to keep seafood hot, I like my food hot. It felt like they were sitting under a warming station for awhile. The scallops were not melt in your mouth good like the ones with the sushi, so I was a little disappointed. I also found the risotto a bit chewy.

Bacon Cheeseburger . . . Wagyu Beef, Tillamook Cheddar, House-made Dill Pickles, Florida Tomato Ketchup

Elmer, the other friend, got a flatbread pizza for his entree. It was really neat. We all tasted it. I thought it tasted pretty good. Not really my cup of tea, but it was yummy. He hate all of it besides the bites we had. He liked it a lot.

I'm not sure what this dessert was called. i think it was some sort of holiday special. I think the peppermint bark candy was pretty yummy. Chuck didn't care for the chocolate cake, but liked the ice cream.

Fall Apple Cobbler
-Walnut-Oatmeal Streusel, Calvados Ice Cream and Apple Caramel Drizzle

On recommendation of our waiter I got this dessert. I think it had great potential. But as I said earlier, when things are meant to be hot, I like the hot! This was sat down in front of me and I was told to be careful, the container is super hot. Well, it wasn't. The cobbler was cold in the center. Like ice cold. i didn't eat it. However, I was full, and we were late for the party, so I didn't complain.

We want out to the view point since this was Ingrid and Elmer's first time at the CG. We had been hopping to be able to get ADR's to see the fireworks from here, but it wasn't in the cards.

I'm excited to see how the CG turns out when we go in December. I am disappointed that the awesome sushi chef is retiring. That was my favorite part about the CG!

Old 03-31-2013, 05:57 PM   #40
DisDreamsAshley
Mouseketeer

Yak & Yeti again

Next up is Yak & Yeti again. This was one of our friends favorite places to eat, so we had to have lunch there again, plus, there's not a whole lot of choices in AK for TS meals.

Lettuce Cups for Two Minced chicken breast, chopped vegetables, Saigon Haison sauce, crisp lettuce cups 13.99

Chuck and I had the lettuce cups. They were delicious, and lettuce cups are always a favorite of mine. The lettuce was nice and crisp and the chicken was tender, and the sauce had a little zing.

Pork Egg Rolls 5.99

Pork Pot Stickers Pan seared or steamed, soy lime dipping sauce 8.99

Our friends got the pot stickers and egg rolls. They said they were both pretty yummy. I had a bite of the egg roll and agreed.

I have no idea what drink I got, but it was amazingly refreshing.

Baby Back Ribs Slow-cooked pork ribs, hoisin BBQ sauce, chicken fried rice, sweet chili slaw 25.99

DH got the ribs. He said they were really good! They were also pretty messy!

Shaoxing Steak and Shrimp Skirt steak, tempura-battered shrimp, jasmine rice, stir-fried vegetables, chili plum dipping sauce 25.99

Our friends both got this as it is their favorite. They both enjoyed it as always.

Malaysian Seafood Curry Mahi Mahi, scallops, lttle neck clams, mussels, shrimp, zucchini, roma tomatoes, red curry coconut broth, jasmine rice 22.99

I got the curry. Can I just say this was one of my most amazing finds on this trip. I was worried it would be really spicy, and I don't handle heat super well. The waitress assured me it wasn't too hot, so I gave it a try. The broth was so flavorful, and while it had a little zing, it wasn't spicy at all. I enjoyed every bit of this, even the rice was amazing. Everything was cooked perfectly too. YUM!

New York Cheesecake New York style cheesecake, mango and strawberry coulis, fresh whipped cream 6.99

While Chuck got the chocolate cake again, I tried the cheesecake. It tasted just like a cheesecake should and was pretty good. I was pretty stuffed by this time though, and didn't eat a lot of it.

To summarize, it was a good trip to Yak & Yeti as always. I found a favorite dish there, and we will definitely be back!

Old 03-31-2013, 06:01 PM   #41
DisDreamsAshley
Mouseketeer

'Ohana

That night we had 'Ohana for dinner. This is DH's absolute favorite place to eat. Sometimes we even eat here twice a trip! We had several pineapples full of booze, and enjoyed the food before heading to the MK. I didn't take pictures of all of the meats for some reason, but just of the sides and the shrimp. Probably because I only really eat the shrimp here.

The bread pudding is absolutely my favorite thing here. Luckily, since DH doesn't care for sweets, I always get a little more than my share....if I remember to save room!

Old 03-31-2013, 09:00 PM   #42
MrsB1228
DIS Veteran

Great updates! That seafood curry dish at Yak and Yeti really looks delicious, I may just have to try that next time.

Thanks so much for sharing, looking forward to more!

Sept/Oct 2013 Dining Report: The Incredible Expanding Women - 14 Days On The DxDP - In Progress
Sept/Oct 2012 Dining Report: 14 Days of Gluttony AKA Doing Free Dining Again! COMPLETE!
My first Dining Report: It's Time To Eat Again?!? 10 days of free dining with pics! COMPLETE!

1985-2004-Many, many offsite visits; March '05-POP; Dec '06-POFQ; Aug/Sept '07-POFQ; Sept '10-POFQ; Sept/Oct '11-POFQ; Sept/Oct '12-POFQ, Sept/Oct '13-POFQ; Sept/Oct '14-POFQ
MrsB1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:31 PM   #43
starousse
DIS Veteran

Great updates. The Dragon Roll from Cali Grill looks amazing. So disappointed that they will be closed when we go in May.
starousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:33 PM   #44
DisDreamsAshley
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by starousse View Post
Great updates. The Dragon Roll from Cali Grill looks amazing. So disappointed that they will be closed when we go in May.
We are headed back to the World in just a couple of weeks, and I was really disappointed the Cali Grill would be closed. It's one of my favorites. I was even MORE disappointed, because DH read something about the main sushi chef retiring. I don't know if that's true or not, but I hope it doesn't affect their sushi menu too much!

Old 04-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #45
DisDreamsAshley
Mouseketeer

Narcoossee's

Next up, is our new favorite place to eat in the World. I'd been asking Chuck to try Narcoossee's for awhile now, and since we were on the deluxe plan, he finally agreed! Yay!

They had super awesome service. We ended up running late. Chuck and I split up at the MK so he could go grab our daily dose of cards before dinner. He was able to hope a boat to the GF, while I was on the monorail, which ended up getting stopped at the CR for a bit. They were really nice about it. We also told out service right at the beginning that they didn't need to pace things for us. We were trying to make the MVMCP that night, and in our experience the 2 credit table service places took a long time. She made sure our meal was at a fairly good speed without rushing us. She was awesome!\

North Carolina Buttermilk-fried Oysters
Buttery Brioche, Southern Apple Slaw, and "Red Rooster" Rémoulade

I was surprised when DH ordered this, it's not his usual thing. But it was devine. The Oysters were almost buttery, and so soft. It was delicious.

Artisanal Cheeses
Five tasting portions from around the world with accompaniments

I was still a little full from lunch, so I got something smaller for an appetizer. I enjoyed this very much.

Butter-poached Maine Lobster Tail with Grilled Black Angus New York Strip

In DH's steak theme....he got a steak! He said it was well cooked and very yummy.

Two-Pound Steamed Maine Lobster
Yukon Gold Potato and Applewood-smoked Bacon Gratin, Baby Brussels Sprouts, Turnips, Carrots, and Caramelized Red Pearl Onions

This was very tasty. I love lobster. The veggies were good, and the potato gratin was very yummy. I'd most certainly get this again.

Baked Chocolate Mousse
served Warm and Chocolaty with Bourbon-Caramel Sauce and Whipped Cream

Chuck was in heaven with this dessert. He proclaimed it the best dessert in Disney. He loves chocoloate mousse, or chocolate lava cakes, so this was right up his alley. It was rich, and very creamy and delicious.

Coconut and Chocolate Crème Brûlée
Layered Coconut and Chocolate with Whipped Chantilly Cream and Toasted Coconut

I however disagreed with Chuck. CLEARLY, this was the best dessert in Disney! I love my creme brulees and this was the best I've had. It was so yummy! My only regret was that I was too stuffed to eat it all!

Like I said, this is our new favorite. We've already gotten reservations to eat here again on our upcoming trip and I am looking oh so forward to it. One thing I was nervous about, was the dress code. I dislike dressing up at Disney for meals. We are normally in the parks right before or after, so dress clothes aren't the most practical for that. I wore khakis this night, and Chuck wore jeans. We both had on nice shirts since we were going to the party...and we were over dressed here. People were there in shorts and tanks. I felt comfortable with what we were wearing, but now I know there's no need to fancy it up!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: