Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 03:59 PM   #16
wdwpirates
Don't lose ya soul cuz it's all ya got. - DH

Great start!!! I loved those root veggies when we were there in December. I think the greens are broccoli rabe...very bitter! They taste great on a pork sandwich with some garlic, though!!

Anyhow, I digress, can't wait to read more! Your list of dining spots is awesome!!

wdwpirates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:01 PM   #17
DLFan123
living the dream-literally!

Enjoying this so far. Can't wait to read more!
DLFan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-01-2013, 06:57 AM   #18
Phelpsie70
Mouseketeer

Great start, more Please!!
Phelpsie70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:20 PM   #19
KristinAnne
DIS Veteran

I'm in! LTT always looks so yummy.

KristinAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:33 PM   #20
Ro Z
DIS Veteran

Looking forward to more! Great start. Luv LTT turkey dinner at lunch. So I guess I would like dinner too!
Ro Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:41 AM   #21
klacey1
DIS Veteran

Subscribing-- looking forward to the rest!!
klacey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:33 PM   #22
DisDreamsAshley
Mouseketeer

OK. So I fibbed a little. I completely forgot that we did Yak & Yeti the next day for lunch. So that will be next! But I'll do a double update and do my Brown Derby review as well.

So we actually originally had lunch reservations at Sanaa. But as I mentioned DH likes to change things up. He decided he didn't want to bus to the lodge, and then bus back to the park to go back to our resort, POR. So since we were already in Animal Kingdom, we decided to try Yak & Yeti. We already had plans to eat here later in the trip, as it's a favorite of some friends that we were meeting up with. We always meet up with our friends every time we go, and we always hit up Yak & Yeti with them. This was my favorite time there.

We got there right when they were opening, so it took a few minutes to get seated. We were seated up stairs, which was a new thing for us.
Chuck had not realized with the Deluxe Dining Plan we each got our own appetizer and dessert. He was in heaven, and I think finally realizing just how much food we would be eating. So here's what we got!

Dim Sum Basket for Two Pork pot stickers, shrimp siu mai, cha su boo and pork siu mai steamed on a banana leaf, soy lime dipping sauce 13.99

We decided to be risky here and get something completely different. We were not disappointed. Everything was super yummy. The big fluffy ones were the cha su boo I believe. They were my favorite. They had some sort of pork in the middle and a sauce, it tasted a bit like a sweet barbeque sauce. Like I said, super yummy.

Seared Miso Salmon Miso glazed Atlantic salmon, coconut-ginger rice, baby bok choy and shiitake mushroom stir-fry 24.99

The salmon was AMAZING!!! I enjoyed mixing in the rice some with each bit of salmon. It was super flavorful! The veggies ended up being over seasoned however. I love mushrooms, but I found these very slimy as well.

Shaoxing Steak and Shrimp Skirt steak, tempura-battered shrimp, jasmine rice, stir-fried vegetables, chili plum dipping sauce 25.99

Chuck got what our friends normally get every time. He said it was pretty good, but nothing special.

Fried Wontons Skewers of fresh pineapple and cream cheese wontons, vanilla ice cream, honey-vanilla drizzle 7.99

I really love the wontons. They are so yummy! But I did find them super sweet.

Chocolate Cake Chocolate pudding cake, raspberry sauce 6.99

If it has the word pudding in it, Chuck's going to try it. He let me take a taste, as he's not much into sweets. It was really good but oh so rich! There's no way I could eat a whole piece of this cake! Mixed with the raspberry sauce the flavor reminded me of a raspberry hot chocolate my mother used to drink when I was little.

We left feeling super stuffed and wondered if we would even be hungry for our dinner reservations.

8/14 AS Sports * 5/14 Pop * 11/13 Pop * 4/13 CSR * 12/12 POR * 4/12 CBR * 2011 POR * 2010 CSR * 2004 AKL * 1999 off site * 1996 WL * 1994 FW
DisDreamsAshley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:02 PM   #23
DisDreamsAshley
Mouseketeer

We had dinner reservations at the Brown Derby at Hollywood Studios. This was what we considered our first real meal on the dinning plan. We were attempting to try several 2TS credit restaurants this trip. We have eaten here one other time and it wasn't a very pleasant experience, but we decided to try again. I have some fond memories of coming here as a child with my family.

we were seated very quickly at a nice table in the back. Beside and kind of below us, was a couple who kept fighting. It was commercial more than anything, because the lady was hammered. She drank way too many martinis and when she got the bill, she cried! But she was in good spirits again when they left.

The first thing we noticed was that Donna, our server, cared more about all the other tables around us then us. This started our Dinning Plan conspiracy theory. While this is our first time on the deluxe plan, we've done the regular plan before. Sometimes we feel as if we are neglected because we are on the plan. Service is slow, or bad...and we can't help but wonder if there this is a coincidence or not. HOWEVER, I learned from Leroy Jethro Gibbs that there is no such thing as a coincidence! (That's an NCIS reference for all you out there that didn't catch that. )

Anyways, once we finally got to order our drinks, we were completely ready to order everything.

Andouille-crusted Prawn over Black Diamond Cheddar Grits, Wilded Greens, and Ancho Oil 11.00

This was so good. I'd never had a prawn or grits before, and I could eat this all day long.

“Our Famous Cobb Salad” with Finely Chopped Greens, Turkey Breast, Bacon, Egg, Tomatoes, Crumbled Blue Cheese, Avocado, Chives, and Cobb Dressing 8.00
[IMG]
http://i.imgur.com/5PagEOXl.jpg[/IMG]
Chuck loves there Cobb Salad...only time he'll ever even think of eating Blue Cheese.

Charred Filet of Beef over a Zellwood Corn and Pancetta Risotto, Arugula Pesto, and Pickled Rainbow Carrots 41.00

I'm pretty sure what I got was a little different than what's listed. It came with mashed potatoes can other veggies. But now that I remember back I think that it was supposed to come with risotto and rainbow carrots.

Spit-roasted American Bison with Sautéed Beets with Sautéed Beets tossed in an Herb-Shallot Vinaigrette, Forest Mushroom, White Truffle Croquette, and a Cocoa Espresso Barbecue Sauce 38.00

Chuck said this was pretty good. I had almost gotten this instead of my filet, so he let me try it. I thought it was super yummy! It was cold however.

We almost didn't order dessert. We waited. And waited. And waited. Finally Chuck got up and asked someone upfront to find Donna for us. She finally came back and we ordered the desserts and asked for our check, so we wouldn't have to wait forever.

Grapefruit Cake Brown Derby Original! Light Layers of Yellow Cake with fresh Grapefruit-Cream Cheese Icing 7.00

I had been dying to try this after stalking pictures here on the Dis. I like grapefruit. I like cake. I figured this was a sure thing. Oh my, totally not for me. I found it was great, until I swallowed. Then was left with an odd aftertaste I didn't care for.

Double Vanilla Bean Crème Brûlée with Dark Chocolate-dipped Biscotti 8.00

Chuck, knowing that I live for creme brulee but that I had to try the grapefruit cake, ordered this. He didn't want dessert, but he figured, it came with the plan so why not get it anyways! I found this really good. Even Chuck took a bite!

Even though we asked for our check earlier, we ended up waiting forever while she chatted up the table next to us. This really set a bad tone for us. Our first "fancy" restaurant of the trip, and just awful service. We finally managed to get her attention and pay so we could leave.

With our bellies full, and mean slow Donna out of our mind, we headed over to look at the Osborne Family Lights. I cried. I'm not afraid to admit it. Christmas at Disney gets me every time!

Up next: Breakfast at Kona!

8/14 AS Sports * 5/14 Pop * 11/13 Pop * 4/13 CSR * 12/12 POR * 4/12 CBR * 2011 POR * 2010 CSR * 2004 AKL * 1999 off site * 1996 WL * 1994 FW
Old 02-23-2013, 08:07 PM   #24
DisDreamsAshley
Mouseketeer

Kono Cafe

The next morning we decided to go to Kona Cafe before heading over to the MK early. We had a little bit of issues getting there because the monorail system was acting up this morning.

I'd been excited when Chuck agreed to eat breakfast here. He's not a huge fan of 1.) breakfast in general, and 2.) eating at resort restaurants because of the extra travel it takes to get there. But I'd been dying to try the Tonga Toast here.

First things first. I'd really wanted to try the press pot here. But there were out! Out of coffee? Hardly seems right? So I had to settle for a regular cup. It was decent, but I was still disappointed.

Big Kahuna
French Toast, Pancakes topped with Pineapple Sauce and Macadamia Nut Butter, Eggs, Home-fried Potatoes, Ham, Bacon, and Sausage.

Chuck got the Big Kahuna. He ate almost everything if I remember right. He particularly enjoyed the french toast and sausage.

Tonga Toast
Banana-stuffed Sourdough French Toast rolled in Cinnamon Sugar and served with a Strawberry Compote and your choice of Ham, Bacon, or Sausage.

I of course had to try the Tonga Toast. I thought it was really delicious. Chuck did particularly care for it since it was covered in sugar, and he doesn't care for sweets. Crazy I know! I loved the strawberry compote that came with it too!

I would definitely eat here again. In fact, we have ADRs for our next trip coming up in April.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:54 PM   #25
johnsonginad
Mouseketeer

Out of pressed pots? I would be devastated. Those things are to. Die. For. But, on the other hand, I think that Tonga Toast would make me happy again! I've not gotten to try it yet, but all of these pictures of it I keep seeing make me drool! Lol!!

Great reviews! Keep em comin'!
johnsonginad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:22 AM   #26
JessicaKnits
DIS Veteran

I'm in! I'm really excited to read your reviews as you are eating at a lot of places that we are planning to try on our September trip.
JessicaKnits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #27
2xcited2sleep
DIS Veteran

Signing on and looking forward to more.

You guys are most definitely adorable! But off to a bit of bad luck start with the bad/slow service at Brown Derby and lack of press pots at Kona! Am sure it gets better from here!

2xcited2sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:30 PM   #28
jacksmom
DIS Veteran

Great reviews!
Old 03-05-2013, 10:12 PM   #29
DisDreamsAshley
Mouseketeer

Fulton's Crab House

We origionally had ADRs at Rose and Crown. But true to form, DH decided to change it up. He didn't think Rose and Crown was his thing, and he knew I'd been dying to eat at Fulton's, and we love our seafood. It took us forever to get to DTD, because we were already at the MK. We tried to take a monorail to the TC, and the monorails were down for the day. Then we forgot you can't get to DTD from the TC! Silly us. We ended up walking to the Polly and grabbing a bus to DTD from there.

We finally made it! And I was ready for some seafood!

We got in right away, there was no wait. The place was mostly empty, but we waited and waited and waited for our waiter. He finally came to take our drink orders, and explain the DDP to us. We had to wait a long time again to order our apps.

Shrimp Cocktail Jumbo shrimp, classic cocktail sauce 15.00
For some reason, I can't upload this picture. So imagine your standard Cocktail Shrimp in a glass photo here.

I decided to go with the classic Shrimp cocktail for my appetizer. It was pretty good. I was starving, so anything would have been good!

Lobster Bisque Blue crab garnish 9.00

Our waiter brought the blue crab out in a little cup and dumped it in the soup. He then attempted to make a cute Mickey head, not a bad job either! Chuck said this was really good. He's a big lobster bisque person, so I'm glad he enjoyed it!

After much deliberation, we ordered something not like either of us to. We were on vacation right?! So let's have an experience!

Louis Fulton's Ultimate Crab and Lobster Experience for Two
Two whole pound and a quarter Maine lobsters, Alaska snow crab, Pacific Northwest dungeness crab. Served with red skin potatoes

Our waiter came by and showed us how to get the crab meat out efficiently. He also came by (much later) to show us how to get the meat out of the lobster shell. It was amazing. It took a long time to eat, but it was deliciously messy, and fun to eat!

All in all our food was good, but our service was incredibly slow here. We waited a ton in between everything. We waited about 30 minutes for our desserts. Now, I never pass up dessert. Ever. If I'm stuffed, I'll find room for at least one bite of delicious goodness. We were there so long, and waiting, that we got the dessert to go...and it took so long waiting for it, we passed on it. We were there for 3 hours! I was really worried about our awesome dinner we had planned, because I was afraid I wouldn't be hungry! But don't worry....I was.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:19 AM   #30
gardengirl628
I'm sorry I bit you....and pulled your hair....and punched you in the face.

Great reviews so far! Thanks for sharing!

Dana
WDW-offsite 1977, 1984; Dixie Landings November 1998; CSR June 2007; AKL November/December 2009; BWV/Western Magic/BLT February 2011; BCV July 2011; BLT/3 day Dream October 2012; HHI April 2013; BW August 2013
gardengirl628 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: