Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 04:41 AM   #1
Heighho
Earning My Ears

Gluten Free Meals at DW

Arrived at DW yesterday. Our first dining reservation was at 50's Prime Time. Being gluten free, I researched what I needed to do to be certain I would being eating totally gluten free. Decided well ahead of time that I wanted the gluten free fried chicken meal. (Based on all the fabulous reviews I saw online).

I arrived at 50's about 30 minutes ahead of our reservation time and explained I was GF and wanted to order my meal ahead of our reservation so we wouldn't be at the table for too long waiting. They called Chef Eddie out from the kitchen, I told him what I wanted and he explained the process, how they would begin preparing my meal at that time because it did take about 45 minutes or so. Although I generally don't eat dessert, he did explain those options to me also. He was great and really understood how cross contamination could cause issues for those of us who have allergies.

The family ordered and we waited about 20 minutes total for all of our meals and Chef Eddie came out to make sure everything was ok. It was the best fried chicken I have ever had and I hope to get back there before I leave. The chef recommended that if you are GF. To try to come in a few minutes early to talk to them so that you are not waiting for an extraordinary amount of time.

All in all, so far I am truly impressed with how Disney as a while handles allergy issues and everyone needs to know that there are many options available for everyone!
Heighho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:03 PM   #2
Heighho
Earning My Ears

Today we were back at Hollywood Studios and I had another great gluten free meal! This time at Pizza Planet!

We went in just after the lunch rush around 2:30pm. Everyone gets in a queue line and then there is an employee who directs you to the next open cashier. I love this concept! I asked the "greeter" what gluten free options are available and she immediately called over Raymond. Not sure of his official role, but he seemed to be in charge of handling the dietary issues. Raymond came over to where were sent to place our order and he explained my options. I stopped him at the cheese pizza. He said vegetable pizza was also available but I wasn't in the mood for that today. He took my order and I gave me a pager and told me that it would take about 20 minutes. Perfect! I asked for our drinks and left to find a table. Oh, important to note here that I specifically asked to have my son's meal served with mine. Not a problem!

Almost exactly 20 minutes later, the pager went off. We were seated upstairs and as I hit the last step on the way down, Raymond was already on his way to meet me halfway. My son's pizza was on the same tray but my pizza was covered with another paper plate. I liked this. Just one more step to safeguard my meal. Raymond graciously asked if there was anything else that I needed. I thanked him for his assistance and off I went to try this pizza.

I am not sure what brand it was, I believe Amy's, and I will go back to find out, but it was absolutely the best I have had. Thin crust, which I have always preferred, crispy, perfect amount of sauce and hot, bubbly cheese! Perfect all the way around.

It was a pleasure eating there. Not once did someone act like they had no idea what I talking about, there was a genuine concern for my concerns and I didn't feel awkward as I do sometimes.

Kudos to Disney, Pizza Planet, and to Raymond for serving a great meal!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-14-2013, 04:57 PM   #3
davebon23
Mouseketeer

Heighho,

Great gluten free reviews so far! Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your trip! Thanks for taking the time to post
Couple times as a kid around 1974 when we lived in FL. All Star Sports 5/98, All Star Movies 11/00, All Star Movies 9/01, Coronado Springs 8/03(BIL's wedding at Disney), Port Orleans French Quarter 2/07, French Quarter 8/11, UPCOMING CBR 9/2013
Me DH DS(18)(OFF TO COLLEGE) DD(16)
url=http://distickers.com/ticker/][/url]
davebon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:45 PM   #4
GrumpyCAdad
Mouseketeer

Agreed, great review and info! My DD(10) and I are both Celiac and are coming to WDW in June 2014. Last time we went in 2009, we had great GF options and you're right, the people there are fantastic when it comes to food allergies. Can't wait to see where else you eat!
2 Trips to WDW as a child May 1991: Disneyland: Off Site Nov 1992: Disneyland: Off Site Oct 1995: Disneyland Off Site Nov 2001: Disneyland: Paradise Pier Nov 2003: Disneyland: Grand Californian August 2004: Disneyland: Off Site Nov 2004: WDW: Wilderness Lodge April 2005: Disneyland: Grand Californian Nov 2009: WDW: POR Oct 2011:WDW Off Site June 2014 WDW: Off Site

GrumpyCAdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:31 AM   #5
Heighho
Earning My Ears

Well, last night we decided to have dinner in the room and then hit Downtown Disney! I enjoy a cocktail every ow and then and have found that Ciroc vodka works well for me so I have a bottle in the room. Unfortunately, none of the Disney hotels stock it. Any way, I made a drink to take with me (mixed with Diet 7-Up). We are staying at Old Key West and took the boat to DD. It was beautiful night.

I have been dying to try Babycakes NYC - located at DD - and mostly gluten free, some dairy free, etc... We found the bakery and I ordered 2 brownie cupcakes and a slice of cornbread. While I was doing this, I asked my husband to go one of the bars and get a drink for me. He came back with a Belvedere and tonic. He said he asked the bartender and the bartender said it was made from potato so I should be ok.

We strolled some more. Finished our drinks and went back to the resort since it was a Friday night at DD and there were tons of people there.Couldn't wait to get back to eat that cupcake!!!

Well, this is where something goes wrong. First, I loved the cupcake! Tasted just like a brownie, one that I have missed for so long! But all night, my stomach as been upset and the first time I have had this feeling in a while. I am leaning toward the vodka being the culprit. I have never had Belvedere before but I can tell you I will not from now on. I can't imagine it was the cupcake either because GF is pretty much all the bakery makes.

Today we are in Magic Kingdom all day - so stay tuned for my counter service reviews!

P.S. - sorry for all the typos - using my iPad to type this.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:17 PM   #6
LionKingRules84
Mouseketeer

Liking this thread! My husband has a gluten allergy and we are heading to the world in August and am hoping to not have to much of a problem finding food for him. Only restaurant I'm worried about that we have reservations for is Chefs de France since I've heard they have problems with honoring allergies but I don't see how any of the major restaurants on Disney property would have a problem though. I'm really looking forward to eating at all the restaurants we have reservations for so I'm hoping we don't have a problem but nice to know what places will definitely be ok especially counter service and snack places.

CR 1986
CBR October 1991
CBR October 1994
CSR September 2007 13 years is much too long trip report!
DIS Unplugged Exclusive Knights and Lights ABD October 2012
Swan August 2013 & DIS Cruise 1.0 on RCCL Oasis
LionKingRules84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:04 AM   #7
scanne
OK, I must have really small ears
It is great to get exposure
Might get a tutorial from a student

Location: NJ but I wish I lived somewhere in Florida like Cinderella's Castle!

THis is extremely helpful! My DD needs to limit her gluten intake - she can tolerate some gluten but if she over does it, it isn't pretty. So we are going to do as much GF dining in Disney as we can. It is great to hear that you're having so much success at the both table service and counter service meals.

Thank you!
1/92 CBR;12/96 ASMu; 6/98 CSR; 6/00 GF; 4/01 Disneyland; 6/01 Polynesian; 12/01 AK and GF; 8/03 WL; 2/04 ASMu; 10/04 WL; 7/05 Polynesian; 10/05 WL; 7/06 WL; 9/06 GF; 7/07 POP and Polynesian; 12/07 WL; 8/08 Beach Club; 6/09 Beach Club; 7/10 Portofino Bay and Polynesian; 8/11 Royal Pacific and WL; 10/11 - Animal Kingdom Lodge for MNSSHP; 7 and 8/12 Split stay at POR (Royal Guest Room) and Wilderness Lodge again ; 8/13 WL OFC!; 11/13 - Disneyland Paradise Pier; 2/2014 Wilderness Lodge/RunDisney!; 8/2014 Hard Rock Hotel/Beach Club - Stone Harbor Club/Grand Floridian Sugar Loaf for my 40th Birthday!

scanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:42 AM   #8
Heighho
Earning My Ears

So sorry for the delay in posting reviews! The last week has flown by but I think it is very important to let everyone know how the GF options are and equally how wonderful everyone in Disney is regarding this allergy (and I am sure all the other allergies out there as well!)

So, to pick up where I left off...Saturday, june 15th was a Magic Kingdom do or die day! Our goal was to do all the rides at MK in one day and we did a pretty good job. This is much harder than it sounds - LOL! Since we knew it was a busy day, I packed some snacks for myself, nuts, dried fruits, etc... We decided to have lunch at Columbia Harbor House near the Haunted Mansion.

Again, there was the queue line and greeter. I can't say enough how much I liked this. I approached the greeter, explained my allergy and I was directed to a specific register. The cashier called the manager over and she brought the ingredient book with her. There are many options available but I stopped her at the chicken tenders and FRIES - not baked - fried in a dedicated fryer!!! The brand of tenders was Allergy Free and it was a large portion. 3 large tenders. At first bite, they tasted "funny". Can't describe it, but it was different. But after the second, third, etc... bite, they were good 'ole chicken tenders that I have not had in a long time! The fries just made my lunch that much better. I couldn't eat it all, although I gave it a good try, and if ordering for a child, this will be a big meal. Another great experience!

Next up, Liberty Tree Tavern!
Old 06-23-2013, 10:48 AM   #9
davebon23
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the new post. I had the chicken tenders once at Liberty Inn in Epcot. So Yummy!!
Couple times as a kid around 1974 when we lived in FL. All Star Sports 5/98, All Star Movies 11/00, All Star Movies 9/01, Coronado Springs 8/03(BIL's wedding at Disney), Port Orleans French Quarter 2/07, French Quarter 8/11, UPCOMING CBR 9/2013
Old 06-23-2013, 10:56 AM   #10
mrsdrake625
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heighho View Post
The chef recommended that if you are GF. To try to come in a few minutes early to talk to them so that you are not waiting for an extraordinary amount of time.
I hadn't thought of that! Very useful, thanks for sharing.

Were all TS places accomodating to that kind of request (ordering a bit in advance?) Just curious.

Thanks.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:51 PM   #11
itradehilton
Mouseketeer

My DH. & #2 DS are GF and each day this week they have enjoyed a great GF meal. We have only eaten one meal a day out the rest we cook in our room. So far the high lights have been the GF fried chicken at the 50's prime time cafe. Liberty tavern Inn in MK my DH had the turkey, potato & gravy sandwich, no dressing, he almost licked the gravy boat clean. The third best item was the GF crab cake the chef made special for #2 son.

me DH: DS #1 DS #2
itradehilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:08 PM   #12
Heighho
Earning My Ears

Hi all! Now that I am back to reality, I have to again apologize for not keeping up with is thread. So, I am going to jump right in and tell you about Liberty Tree Tavern for dinner!

We arrived and checked in and I advised the hostess of my allergies (gluten and strawberries) and she told me that once we are seated the chef would come out and speak with me. We were actually seated within minutes and the server brought the chef right to me. Our server left to get our drinks and the chef explained everything that is served and told me what I could not have (mac and cheese, stuffing, gravy but they have special gluten free gravy, and dessert,but gave me the option of ice cream, a sundae, or sorbet). The chef told me they would send gluten free rolls out separately for me! Yay!

The rolls came out piping hot with. My own butter and completely separate from the family bread bowl. I only had a small piece of roll because of the amount of food that is server there and I can tell you that personally, they were not my favorite. They had a chewy consistency and it just didn't feel right. But that's me. They were very hot so maybe they were microwaved for too long? Any way, it was still nice to have that option. My salad was separate as well since I can't have the strawberry dressing -I had ranch - my own bowl of salad and serving utensils and my own dressing. So far, so good!

A short time later our main meal was served - beef, turkey, and pork, green beans, mashed potatoes, roasted root veggies (turnips, carrots and something else I can't remember), and my own. Gravy boat full of gluten free gravy. Heaven!!!! In addition to all of that the family enjoyed the stuffing and mac and cheese.

After dinner was cleared, dessert came out. I had a generous serving a creamy vanilla ice cream and the family had some sort of cake with ice cream. We were all completely stuffed!

Another fabulous experience at Disney!

Fast forward two days later and we ended up back at Pizza Planet. Not such a great experience this time. I really wanted a pizza again, but we waited too long to eat and everyone was starving so I didn't have the heart to make them wait. It was around dinner time but just after a big rainstorm so it wasn't very busy. I suppose while it was raining a lot of people chose to eat during the storm.

The greeter again directed me to a cashier and this time I waited for about 5 minutes for someone to come talk to me. At that point my boys were complaining so I ended up getting a salad, plain. After we paid and went to the counter to pick up, the chef came out. I told her we had already ordered and did she know if any any dressing was GF? Her answer was "doesn't everything have gluten these days?". Well, I wasn't very happy with that answer and I always carry my own dressing with me (a small jelly jar -like you would get with your breakfast at a nice restaurant, glass with a screw on lid), and just used that. I have learned to carry the dressing if we will be out when it is lose to the time we may eat, to be safe. I only use lemon juice and olive oil, but it is nice to have something different, especially at Disney. I told the chef thank you, that I would be fine as my grumpy boys were behind me getting grumpier. Sometimes it is easier to just move on.

Next up will be Teppan Edo inJapan in Epcot, which was AWESOME!
Old 06-30-2013, 06:23 PM   #13
Heighho
Earning My Ears

Oh, and one more thing. I think Ifigured out what my problem was with the gluten free brownie cupcake. From what I was able to find out, Babycakes NYC uses garbanzo bean flour in their cupcakes. I actually have never experienced garbanzo flour so I can't say if that was the cause of my distress earlier in that week, but I have done the process of elimination and came up with that. So, for whatever that is worth, it is just an FYI.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:52 PM   #14
davebon23
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the updates!
Old 07-01-2013, 06:07 AM   #15
LisaTC
DIS Veteran

OP, you might be interested in this article:

http://www.gfreefoodie.com/the-great...nswers-please/

LisaTC is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: