Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 08:44 AM   #16
dsnydaddy
DIS Veteran

Then there's people like me who can't spell because they're typing on their iPhone
Old 01-31-2013, 08:59 AM   #17
maggs1035
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorimay

I had no sense of entitlement, we had temperatures in the 60's and the A/c was not on because of that so I opened my door and enjoyed it.
My stateroom host came into the room and NEVER said a word about it to me.

Everything here has to turn into a debate.
WE DID NOT USE THE AIR CONDITIONER SO WE OPENED THE DOOR.

You seem to be the only sarcastic response on this thread.
Lorimay.... You just have to ignore certain people on the DIS because these kind of posts are their MO! (Drama, drama, drama)If your A/C was off and you needed fresh air, then there is nothing wrong with having your door open!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-31-2013, 09:02 AM   #18
maggs1035
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorimay

Sorry in my home that means not on.
Our A/C didn't turn on for the entire cruise.
It was completely clear! You raised the temp so the AC would not turn on! Crystal clear!
Old 01-31-2013, 09:24 AM   #19
DynamicDisneyDuo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggs1035 View Post
then there is nothing wrong with having your door open!
Yes, there is. DCL specifically says NOT to leave the door open. How hard is that to understand?
Old 01-31-2013, 09:42 AM   #20
kcashner
DIS Veteran

The AC systems on the classic ships are not like those in a typical US home. They work off a "set point" and the warmer/cooler dial give you 2-3 degrees of variance from that set point. If you need to have the set point adjusted, ask your stateroom host.

While I can't speak to what has worked for individuals, I know that there is a sign on the door asking that it not be kept open and that this instruction was reinforced by a verbal instruction from the host on day 1 along with the readon for the request. I figure that DCL knows their system better than any of us and that if they ask that we keep the door closed, this is the right thing to do.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:53 AM   #21
piglet33
DIS Veteran

I have been on 9 cruises on all 4 ships and never once was told by the stateroom host not to leave the door open.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:56 AM   #22
joelnkelly
Mouseketeer

Just to be clear, if I want to leave my verandah door open while I am in the room I will do so. Cycling some fresh air through the cabin in my world is considered a good thing when you have 4 people living in there for a week.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:25 AM   #23
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by piglet33 View Post
I have been on 9 cruises on all 4 ships and never once was told by the stateroom host not to leave the door open.

Thirteen Disney cruises, and I honestly don't recall if the stateroom host has told me or not, but I DO KNOW that there's a sign on the door, and it's in the Navigator, and there is also an announcement made at one point or another on the first day of the cruise.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:28 AM   #24
justmestace

Thinks California needs Disney cruise ships!
Has snorkeled all over the Bahamas and the Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelnkelly View Post
Just to be clear, if I want to leave my verandah door open while I am in the room I will do so. Cycling some fresh air through the cabin in my world is considered a good thing when you have 4 people living in there for a week.

Posts like this don't surprise me at all.

Just like the people who say they'll wear whatever they want in the dining rooms, regardless of DCL's wishes, or that will save seats in the theater regardless of the rules, etc, etc, etc..........

I hope those of you who choose to DELIBERATELY break the rules don't get upset when you see someone else doing something they aren't supposed to, like cutting in line or whatever. Afterall, the same logic works, right?
Old 01-31-2013, 11:45 AM   #25
joelnkelly
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmestace View Post
Posts like this don't surprise me at all.

Just like the people who say they'll wear whatever they want in the dining rooms, regardless of DCL's wishes, or that will save seats in the theater regardless of the rules, etc, etc, etc..........

I hope those of you who choose to DELIBERATELY break the rules don't get upset when you see someone else doing something they aren't supposed to, like cutting in line or whatever. Afterall, the same logic works, right?
This response is a joke, we are talking about leaving a door opened on a verandah so someone can enjoy the sea breeze from outside. You are right, the Disney police should come and arrest me now because I want to leave a door open for the 20 minutes I am in my room to air it out and enjoy the air. I guess paying for the upgrade to get a room with a verandah means i should not enjoy it.

Get off your high perch and realize life is to short to worry about someone leaving a door open when its recommened not to.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:38 PM   #26
lorimay
DIS Veteran

I do not come on the cruise board to make trouble.

I come because I love all things Disney especially the cruise line.

I have taken 5 Disney cruises and the first 3 we had humid weather and the door stayed closed curtains opened A/C blowing.

The last 2 we were lucky enough to have weather where the A/C did not and was not on the entire time.
So while we are in the room the door was opened.

The sign says the door opened effected the A/C, so if my A/C was not on, I was not putting any negative effect on the A/C or anyone else.

I said it before our room host came in several times and saw the door opened, he also knew my air was not on so he did not say a word to us.

My husband and I follow rules we do not break them.
According to everything said regarding the door and A/C we did not break any rules.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:50 PM   #27
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorimay View Post
I do not come on the cruise board to make trouble.

I come because I love all things Disney especially the cruise line.

I have taken 5 Disney cruises and the first 3 we had humid weather and the door stayed closed curtains opened A/C blowing.

The last 2 we were lucky enough to have weather where the A/C did not and was not on the entire time.
So while we are in the room the door was opened.

The sign says the door opened effected the A/C, so if my A/C was not on, I was not putting any negative effect on the A/C or anyone else.

I said it before our room host came in several times and saw the door opened, he also knew my air was not on so he did not say a word to us.

My husband and I follow rules we do not break them.
According to everything said regarding the door and A/C we did not break any rules.

I found this on another site, it was posted by an engineer on cruise ships:

All modern cruise ships are designed with many fire safety features to save your life in case there is a fire onboard.
One of those features is air pressure.

Cruise ship cabins are designed to have a slightly higher air pressure inside the cabin than outside the cabin. If there is as fire outside your cabin, the over-pressure inside will cause smoke and flames to move away from your cabin rather than move into it.

This system works great until you or your neighbors open the balcony door.

With the balcony door open, the air pressure drops in your cabin. The A/C system is designed to compensate for the lower air pressure by pulling air pressure from your neighbors' cabins into yours. This also pulls the cool air from their cabins into yours. And if your neighbors are smokers, it also pulls their smoke into your cabin.

The problem is that with your balcony door open, the A/C system never is able to compensate for the lower pressure. It keeps pulling more and more air from your neighbors, trying to compensate for your cabin. That's when all your neighbors start calling the front desk to complain that their A/C is not working properly.

A few cruise lines tried to counteract this problem by installing magnetic switches on the balcony doors. These magnetic switches automatically turned off ventilation to the cabins that left their doors open, making it safer and more comfortable for those smart enough to read and follow the signs on the door asking them to keep it closed.

Then some genius on Cruisecritic found a way to circumvent the system by placing a small magnet near the magnetic switch on the door, making his neighbors uncomfortable and less safe, but ensuring he could leave his balcony door open and have A/C at the same time.

The cruise lines gave up and removed the magnetic switches. Now you can leave your door open and ruin your neighbors' cruise without the help of the magnet.

Even with the AC "up" or not running, it is on.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
Old 01-31-2013, 02:11 PM   #28
GoHabsGo
Mouseketeer

If it helps - A/C doesn't necessarily mean "cooling"
It means "conditioning" - meaning that it is trying to keep the temperature in balance at a set level

PS If the concern is fire, couldn't we just get all the smokers to stay home? That way, when I lay on my bed with the verandah door open, their cigarette smoke won't waft in.

But seriously, state your points without being rude (at least try).
Old 01-31-2013, 03:14 PM   #29
CrawfordMomof2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
I found this on another site, it was posted by an engineer on cruise ships:

All modern cruise ships are designed with many fire safety features to save your life in case there is a fire onboard.
One of those features is air pressure.

Cruise ship cabins are designed to have a slightly higher air pressure inside the cabin than outside the cabin. If there is as fire outside your cabin, the over-pressure inside will cause smoke and flames to move away from your cabin rather than move into it.

This system works great until you or your neighbors open the balcony door.

With the balcony door open, the air pressure drops in your cabin. The A/C system is designed to compensate for the lower air pressure by pulling air pressure from your neighbors' cabins into yours. This also pulls the cool air from their cabins into yours. And if your neighbors are smokers, it also pulls their smoke into your cabin.

The problem is that with your balcony door open, the A/C system never is able to compensate for the lower pressure. It keeps pulling more and more air from your neighbors, trying to compensate for your cabin. That's when all your neighbors start calling the front desk to complain that their A/C is not working properly.

A few cruise lines tried to counteract this problem by installing magnetic switches on the balcony doors. These magnetic switches automatically turned off ventilation to the cabins that left their doors open, making it safer and more comfortable for those smart enough to read and follow the signs on the door asking them to keep it closed.

Then some genius on Cruisecritic found a way to circumvent the system by placing a small magnet near the magnetic switch on the door, making his neighbors uncomfortable and less safe, but ensuring he could leave his balcony door open and have A/C at the same time.

The cruise lines gave up and removed the magnetic switches. Now you can leave your door open and ruin your neighbors' cruise without the help of the magnet.

Even with the AC "up" or not running, it is on.
Very well put. Thank you for looking that up and posting for the rest of us! I never would have thought about that.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:22 PM   #30
joelnkelly
Mouseketeer

just a quick clarification, are we talking about leaving the sliding door open all day long or all night long, or simply having it open for a bit while relaxing in the room?

I am only talking about having it open for a brief time either in the morning or night while in the room to enjoy a sea breeze and airing the room out.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: