Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 11:26 AM   #1
ReneeA
DIS Veteran

Advice re. insurance claim

I'm at my wits end with Allstate right now. We own a rental property - kinda against my will - it was the home I bought prior to marriage. It's tiny (700 sq feet, no basement, no garage) and was perfect for one or two people. We lived there for 15 years - DH moved in, we had a baby, then another baby...and outgrew it. So we had a house built, but can't sell the old one since the market tanked...so now it's a rental. That I lose at least $50 a month on after you figure in mortgage, taxes, insurance, and maintenance. Anyway, house is in great shape...new furnace and roof in Jan 2010.

The night of Jan 19th, we had a big windstorm, and a tree blew over onto the rental house. There was no outward signs of the tree having problems, in fact, we had just had limbs trimmed a year ago away from the power lines. So, my new roof has 3 good sized holes in it, and the tree went completely through and ruined the upstairs ceiling. The house isn't on a solid foundation - just sits on blocks (like the old style cottages they built in the 1910's by the water). I'm concerned that with that kind of impact, it may have shifted off the blocks as well. We had a tree service come in and remove the tree, we repaired the electrical lines, and we also had the same roofer that put the roof on put a "temporary" repair since it's January in Michigan (bad weather). Allstate tells us that they can't send out an insurance adjuster until 1/29, but we are responsible for paying for the emergency repairs OOP. Oh, and they can't guarantee that they will reimburse us for these fees since they haven't had an adjuster out to approve it yet. I'm possibly out $2200 now.

January 27th rolls around, and we get an automated message that our appt with the adjuster has been cancelled due to inclement weather...at that point, it was 40 degrees, and the bad weather was supposed to only last 24 hours and be cleared up by 1/29 in the afternoon. When we called the number of the representative (in Texas) they told us that it was cancelled and they wouldn't reschedule it at this time...that the weather has to be 45 degrees and without snow or rain in the forecast for a 10 day stretch to make it safe for their subcontractors. Hello!!!!!! This is Michigan, people. My DH works in new construction, and he's on a site right now with people on roofs today. Your requirements for the weather is not likely to happen until MAY. My TEMPORARY fix on my NEW roof is not going to last that long, and it's unfair that my renters have to live in that until then.

I am beyond angry. I've contacted my agent, and they have made phone calls, but are getting the same answer we are. I am tempted to involve the Attorney General's office, but I'm not sure if I'm being overly aggressive.

Thoughts???
1980 offsite, 1988 offsite, Aug 1998 offsite, Apr 1999 offsite, Aug 2005 (free dining) ASMo, Aug 2006 (free dining) CSR, Aug 2007 CSR, Aug 2008 (free dining) CSR, Aug 2010 (free dining) CBR, Aug 2012 WL, Feb 2014 girl's trip AS Sports
ReneeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:33 AM   #2
Lorelei Lee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneeA View Post
I'm at my wits end with Allstate right now. We own a rental property - kinda against my will - it was the home I bought prior to marriage. It's tiny (700 sq feet, no basement, no garage) and was perfect for one or two people. We lived there for 15 years - DH moved in, we had a baby, then another baby...and outgrew it. So we had a house built, but can't sell the old one since the market tanked...so now it's a rental. That I lose at least $50 a month on after you figure in mortgage, taxes, insurance, and maintenance. Anyway, house is in great shape...new furnace and roof in Jan 2010.

The night of Jan 19th, we had a big windstorm, and a tree blew over onto the rental house. There was no outward signs of the tree having problems, in fact, we had just had limbs trimmed a year ago away from the power lines. So, my new roof has 3 good sized holes in it, and the tree went completely through and ruined the upstairs ceiling. The house isn't on a solid foundation - just sits on blocks (like the old style cottages they built in the 1910's by the water). I'm concerned that with that kind of impact, it may have shifted off the blocks as well. We had a tree service come in and remove the tree, we repaired the electrical lines, and we also had the same roofer that put the roof on put a "temporary" repair since it's January in Michigan (bad weather). Allstate tells us that they can't send out an insurance adjuster until 1/29, but we are responsible for paying for the emergency repairs OOP. Oh, and they can't guarantee that they will reimburse us for these fees since they haven't had an adjuster out to approve it yet. I'm possibly out $2200 now.

January 27th rolls around, and we get an automated message that our appt with the adjuster has been cancelled due to inclement weather...at that point, it was 40 degrees, and the bad weather was supposed to only last 24 hours and be cleared up by 1/29 in the afternoon. When we called the number of the representative (in Texas) they told us that it was cancelled and they wouldn't reschedule it at this time...that the weather has to be 45 degrees and without snow or rain in the forecast for a 10 day stretch to make it safe for their subcontractors. Hello!!!!!! This is Michigan, people. My DH works in new construction, and he's on a site right now with people on roofs today. Your requirements for the weather is not likely to happen until MAY. My TEMPORARY fix on my NEW roof is not going to last that long, and it's unfair that my renters have to live in that until then.

I am beyond angry. I've contacted my agent, and they have made phone calls, but are getting the same answer we are. I am tempted to involve the Attorney General's office, but I'm not sure if I'm being overly aggressive.

Thoughts???

Check this out:

http://www.insure.com/articles/gener...ir-claims.html

And this:

http://www.michigan.gov/lara/0,4601,...555---,00.html
Lorelei Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-30-2013, 11:40 AM   #3
snarlingcoyote
I know people who live in really carpy school districts

All I can tell you is welcome to Allstate. There were a LOT of reports after Hurricanes Rita and Katrina of people having problems getting Allstate to pay out. Try Googling Hurricane Rita Allstate.
snarlingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:50 AM   #4
ReneeA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarlingcoyote
All I can tell you is welcome to Allstate. There were a LOT of reports after Hurricanes Rita and Katrina of people having problems getting Allstate to pay out. Try Googling Hurricane Rita Allstate.
That's what I'm afraid of. We've never had a claim before, in 20 years. We had to switch to Allstate last year because there are only a few companies that offer landlord insurance at a reasonable price. Guess I'm paying for it now. I may file a complaint with the state if I don't hear better news by Thursday.
1980 offsite, 1988 offsite, Aug 1998 offsite, Apr 1999 offsite, Aug 2005 (free dining) ASMo, Aug 2006 (free dining) CSR, Aug 2007 CSR, Aug 2008 (free dining) CSR, Aug 2010 (free dining) CBR, Aug 2012 WL, Feb 2014 girl's trip AS Sports
Old 01-30-2013, 11:50 AM   #5
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarlingcoyote View Post
I'm glad my husband works in insurance claims. He told me the second we lost our electric box, roof, and windows to Rita to get on the phone with Allstate and start the claims process. While most people were still surveying their damage, we had already made the call, gotten estimates and pictures in, etc. We got our check the next week. I know of so many people still waiting for resolution from Rita from their insurance company. I get the feeling that any insurance company that services the northeast is swamped with work and it's affecting their ability to service claims everywhere they do business.
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:54 AM   #6
ReneeA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginny Favers

I'm glad my husband works in insurance claims. He told me the second we lost our electric box, roof, and windows to Rita to get on the phone with Allstate and start the claims process. While most people were still surveying their damage, we had already made the call, gotten estimates and pictures in, etc. We got our check the next week. I know of so many people still waiting for resolution from Rita from their insurance company. I get the feeling that any insurance company that services the northeast is swamped with work and it's affecting their ability to service claims everywhere they do business.
We did all that asap, too. We have pics and estimates and they are telling me they won't reimburse anything until an adjustor comes out. Even though we were told that we had to pay right away for the emergency repairs...they won't even pay those. Of course, they aren't willing to send anyone out apparently out until spring.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: