Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 12:59 PM   #1
tink1969
DIS Veteran

Great price out of BUF on Airtran!

We aren't going until the summer but I priced Air Canada out of Pearson and the cheapest was $500 per person. The total cost for 5 of us is $2500.

I thought I would check Airtran as we have used them before, and for the same dates, direct/return flights, it was only $200 per person!

My receipt was $999.90! That is a big difference and worth the hour and 45 minute drive to Buffalo. Besides, we can get some outlet shopping in while in Buffalo!
Old 01-15-2013, 03:10 PM   #2
dmbcanada
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink1969 View Post
We aren't going until the summer but I priced Air Canada out of Pearson and the cheapest was $500 per person. The total cost for 5 of us is $2500.

I thought I would check Airtran as we have used them before, and for the same dates, direct/return flights, it was only $200 per person!

My receipt was $999.90! That is a big difference and worth the hour and 45 minute drive to Buffalo. Besides, we can get some outlet shopping in while in Buffalo!
Doing the same thing, we usually fly out of Detroit. For some reason I found the costs to be on almost on par with Pearson, so went with AirTran out of Buffalo.
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2013, 03:20 PM   #3
pigletto
DIS Veteran

We always fly out of Buffalo but we are lucky that we are much closer to BUF than YYZ. It always saves us 1000 or more and I really prefer the airport for it's small size.
Glad you found a good price and enjoy your trip!
Old 01-16-2013, 08:44 AM   #4
cdndisney
Earning My Ears

Looking at Buf as an option this year as well. Typically fly Delta out of Detroit. How is Air Tran as an Airline? Any issues or concerns?
cdndisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:14 AM   #5
darwinsrule
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdndisney
Looking at Buf as an option this year as well. Typically fly Delta out of Detroit. How is Air Tran as an Airline? Any issues or concerns?
AT is fine. Definitely no worse than AC.

They have been bought out and sre being merged into SW airport by airport. SW has been working on getting their culture of service ingrained in the AT employees. Been a year since we have flown with them, but would do it again if the price is right. Only issue I have is the charge for bags which you need to factor into the fare. When you add that fee on we have found $$$wise that SW and Jetblue have been the better deals.
August'14 NCL Getaway ** March'15 Disney Wonder

Me DW DD10 DD6
darwinsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:22 AM   #6
pigletto
DIS Veteran

I will say that I do prefer the service and overall experience of our Jetblue and Southwest flights. Both offer free bags as well so make sure when looking out of Buff to price them as well. We're flying this time for 1000 all in but we have flown for 800 for the four of us.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:02 PM   #7
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink1969 View Post

That is a great price!!

We are waiting for AirTran to release flights and prices for the end of August. Right now they are booking until Aug. 9. we used AirTran for the first time last August and we were very happy with the airline.
Disneylover99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:34 PM   #8
5mouseketeersforus
Mouseketeer

We haven't flown on SW yet but their 40% off sale last Oct was amazing. We got all 7 tickets for our family for $140 each IIRC. Non-stop flights as well . Even with factoring in the drive to BUF and hotel cost - There is no way that AC or Westjet could even come close. I can't see us ever flying to the US out of YYZ.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:00 AM   #9
C&B Young
www.canadisney.com

We'll likely be flying Air Tran for the 1st time this May from BUF to MCO. Price-wise Air Tran, Southwest and Jet Blue are all pretty comparable, but Ar Tran has the best flight times for us.
C&B Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:58 AM   #10
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdndisney View Post
We flew Airtran for the first time on our Christmas trip.

The plane was very old. As we waited for boarding to begin, my husband called me over to the window to see the huge areas of peeling paint around the window of the cockpit. Had me a little bit rattled about our safety in the air, I must admit.

We had upgraded to business class at the 24-hour mark for a very reasonable fee, so we had the nice, spacious seats at the front of the plane, plus priority boarding and de-planing and free checked baggage. We were glad we upgraded, as the 3 x 3 seating behind business class looked as if it would have been very cramped for my 6' 3", 295 lb DH.

Service was fine. Flight attendants weren't overwhelmingly friendly, but all were efficient.

The flight itself was very smooth. We very much missed the TV's on each seat, though, that we have become accustomed to while flying on Jetblue. The 2.5 hour flight seemed rather long with only free Wi-fi to keep us amused.

Loved that Airtran offered hot chocolate as a beverage (very fitting for our December 23rd pre-Christmas flight!). Snacks included Pepperidge Farms cookies, Walkers shortbread, and some other small nibbles.

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! PTR in progress: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:17 AM   #11
dancin Disney style
I found one to share with some fab american disers
Could you break off the handle?

We've flown AT a bunch of times and never had an issue. Staff was courteous and efficient. I would fly them any time. For me it comes down to price and flight times so who ever has what fits for that trip is who I will book with.

dancin Disney style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:16 AM   #12
boundfordisney
I think my finger prints are still on the grab bars to this day

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancin Disney style View Post
We've flown AT a bunch of times and never had an issue. Staff was courteous and efficient. I would fly them any time. For me it comes down to price and flight times so who ever has what fits for that trip is who I will book with.
glad to hear some positive input as we are flying with at in march and was a little worried
Old 01-29-2013, 08:01 AM   #13
dancin Disney style

Quote:
Originally Posted by boundfordisney View Post
glad to hear some positive input as we are flying with at in march and was a little worried
I'm often a little amused by the negativity about certain airlines. As long as I get to my destination safely and got the things that I paid for what's to complain about? I really could care less is the FA's were a little unfriendly or the ground agent was rude.....that's on them.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:42 AM   #14
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancin Disney style View Post
I'm often a little amused by the negativity about certain airlines. As long as I get to my destination safely and got the things that I paid for what's to complain about? I really could care less is the FA's were a little unfriendly or the ground agent was rude.....that's on them.
lol, I don't like to think of it as negativity, I like to think of it as honest feedback

Its good to know what you are getting for what you are paying. While each plane may get you to your destination, I personally want a certain level of service, a certain amount of seat space, certain inclusions (like onboard entertainment), etc. Some of those things are worth a little extra in the way of flight prices to some folks (me being one of them). Then there's flight times and other factors to also consider. When someone is asking for experiences on a certain airline, I try to give it all (good and bad).

For Airtran, they only got two major strikes in my book. Number one (and the more minor of the two) was the lack of onboard TV's. The other is the condition of that plane . Without the aging, peeling-paint aircraft, we may have had a different overall opinion. They say you only get one chance to make a first impression, and that old bird just didn't leave a good one. Perhaps the rest of their fleet is less worn?

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! PTR in progress: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:05 AM   #15
dancin Disney style

Gina....I agree there is nothing wrong with honest feedback. My comment was a little simple. I've read things that people have complained that they only got one bag of pretzels or that the ground agent didn't say 'good morning'. Things like this have had people so upset that they were never flying wih that carrier again. Those types of comments are unreasonable and dramatic in my books. That's what I was meaning by 'negativity'

BTW.....I'm super sad that your TR is finished I'm still looking at a SW package for Dec.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: