Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2014, 01:27 PM   #1
sjv919
Mouseketeer

Severe Peanut Allergy Dining

We have main dining and the person I'll be on my cruise with has a very severe allergy to peanuts. She can't eat them, anything they touched, or be exposed to a strong scent of them for too long or she has a bad reaction (of the throat swelling shut variety). She travels with Bendaryl and an EpiPen just in case, but as she is so easily triggered we wanted to be able to sit at our own table to lower the chances.

I understand I can call and request our own table? Should I mention there is a severe allergy when I request it? We also would like to keep main dining, but is it going to be drastically easier to get our own table at later seating? TIA!
Old 08-27-2014, 01:33 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjv919 View Post
We have main dining and the person I'll be on my cruise with has a very severe allergy to peanuts. She can't eat them, anything they touched, or be exposed to a strong scent of them for too long or she has a bad reaction (of the throat swelling shut variety). She travels with Bendaryl and an EpiPen just in case, but as she is so easily triggered we wanted to be able to sit at our own table to lower the chances.

I understand I can call and request our own table? Should I mention there is a severe allergy when I request it? We also would like to keep main dining, but is it going to be drastically easier to get our own table at later seating? TIA!
Her allergy should be noted on the reservation now.

Yes, you can request your own table. It is just a request, however, most such requests are honored, some are not. It may be easier to get your own table at the late seating over the early, but I wouldn't make that the reason for selecting late over early, if it's the only reason you have. With the allergy, I believe, it's more likely that your request to be seated alone would be honored. You can check at the "dining changes" desk when you board to see if you've been given your own table, and, if not, make the request again at that time.

Call DCL now (or your TA, if you used one, will make the call) and have the allergy noted on the reservation.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-27-2014, 01:57 PM   #3
DISNEY FANTASY
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas

Quote:

There is a medical condition form to get filled in as it's servers contact DCL ASAP.

Also seek out the head servers and get their guidance at meals.

Special Services Information Form

If you or a member of your travel party has special medical needs, please complete and submit the Special Services Information Form 30 days prior to the start of your vacation. This optional form allows you to:

Arrange for wheelchair access and/or lift
Specify if a wheelchair-accessible stateroom is required
Reserve a communication kit for Guests with hearing disabilities
Request a sharps box for medication
Indicate if you will be traveling with a service animal
Learn about the dietary request policy onboard our ships
While we can't guarantee all requests will be honored, we will do our very best to accommodate your travel party.

Last cruise AUGUST 2014 Disney Magic July 2014 12 Night Med + Greece.
Disney Wonder August 2013 Lots of photos Alaska and full navigators, -In 'The Walt' photo thread here,
Disney Fantasy 8/11 and 8/18 2012 back to back, Eastern and Western, Two weeks in concierge!
Disney Magic Eight cruises, inc 12 night Baltic, 11 night Med, 14 and 15 night Panama crossings, and 7 night Caribbean cruises.
Over 14 Previous cruises, including Disney, RCI and Princess.
Next, Disney Magic Northern Europe 2015.

Last edited by DISNEY FANTASY; 08-27-2014 at 02:12 PM.
DISNEY FANTASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:27 PM   #4
Stinkerbe11
DIS Veteran

DS has an anaphylactic tree nut allergy and we have always been seated alone (never requested it). Also, upon entering the MDRs you are given a printed ticket to give to your server that lists the allergy. The ticket is also printed out in the kitchen and in our experience, a chef has come out to discuss DS's options. The chef even had safe chocolate covered strawberries delivered to our room every day

On embarkation day, the chef will walk through the buffet and explain what is safe and what's not and they have always provided safe dessert options. On CC day, the head server had a special meal delivered to Cookies for DS. Disney goes above and beyond for allergies, that's one reason they keep getting lots of our money

Wonder Mexican Riviera(2011), Magic Eastern(2012), Wonder Pacific Coast(2014), Wonder Alaska(2014), Wonder Vancouver Repo(2014)
Stinkerbe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:09 AM   #5
sjv919
Mouseketeer

Thank you, everyone, for all the helpful advice and information! I called and added her allergies and requested our own table and we will just see what happens next year on board. If anything is an issue we can't resolve reasonably it seems we can grab dinner elsewhere and make do
Old Yesterday, 11:01 AM   #6
DISNEY FANTASY
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas

Quote:
Thank you, everyone, for all the helpful advice and information! I called and added her allergies and requested our own table and we will just see what happens next year on board. If anything is an issue we can't resolve reasonably it seems we can grab dinner elsewhere and make do
Good luck and hope you all enjoy the cruise.

Last cruise AUGUST 2014 Disney Magic July 2014 12 Night Med + Greece.
Disney Wonder August 2013 Lots of photos Alaska and full navigators, -In 'The Walt' photo thread here,
Disney Fantasy 8/11 and 8/18 2012 back to back, Eastern and Western, Two weeks in concierge!
Disney Magic Eight cruises, inc 12 night Baltic, 11 night Med, 14 and 15 night Panama crossings, and 7 night Caribbean cruises.
Over 14 Previous cruises, including Disney, RCI and Princess.
Next, Disney Magic Northern Europe 2015.
DISNEY FANTASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:43 AM   #7
Bree
Mouseketeer

I'm glad you had it added. Just a warning though. Even though you may have your own table it may be very close to other tables and diners. They cram the tables and chairs into the dining rooms. Our table in a Royal Court was so close to our neighboring table you had to squeeze sideways between the two (and I'm not a big person). Just make sure she brings epi pens and benedryl to dinner with her.
Old Yesterday, 12:22 PM   #8
Funky Chicken
misses the Citrus Swirl at Sunshine Tree Terrace!

My DD9 is allergic to Peanuts, Tree Nuts, Eggs, and Shellfish. My wife has celiac disease (no gluten). We are a travel nightmare. We have cruised with DCL twice and they make it a pleasure.
We pre-order my daughter's dinner one night ahead. Chefs will walk the buffet line with you and give you guidance. Allergy meals are prepared in a separate area of the kitchen. Nobody handles allergies better than Disney but it is up to you to make sure they KNOW!
Old Yesterday, 01:49 PM   #9
SillyInventor
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
Nobody handles allergies better than Disney but it is up to you to make sure they KNOW!
Good point. And if you are unsure of anything: just ask!
Any crew member will be happy to assist you to have a wonderful cruise.
Old Yesterday, 03:02 PM   #10
squirrel
DIS Veteran

I also believe that they seat people with allergies at their own tables. The only time we have had our own table was last year when we took my niece who is lactose intolerant (she can tolerate some now).

The good news is that Peanut Butter isn't out on the buffets so most people don't know to ask for it if they want it. I can't recall if they have it out at the TS restaurants for breakfast or lunch. I love PB but I'm extra careful when eating and putting PB on my food when in public. I have strange allergies so I know what it is like to not know if you are safe.
WDW (Pop) Sept. 5-19 2008 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Oct. 1-15 2009 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Sept. 30-Oct. 14 2010 Free Dining
WDW (Pop-BC) Sept. 29-Oct. 13 2011 Free Dining
Wonder and DLR (BWPPI) Sept. 10-20 2012
Wonder and DLR (DI&S) Sept. 9-21 2013
squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:38 PM   #11
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

They have packets of peanut butter on the breakfast buffet. They are closed, but present.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:43 PM   #12
squirrel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
They have packets of peanut butter on the breakfast buffet. They are closed, but present.
What ship were you on?

I was on the Wonder last year and had to ask for them. They weren't out or I missed them, but the CM went into the kitchen and would get me some. If they were out, they were well hidden because I was looking.
WDW (Pop) Sept. 5-19 2008 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Oct. 1-15 2009 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Sept. 30-Oct. 14 2010 Free Dining
WDW (Pop-BC) Sept. 29-Oct. 13 2011 Free Dining
Wonder and DLR (BWPPI) Sept. 10-20 2012
Wonder and DLR (DI&S) Sept. 9-21 2013
squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: