Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 06:56 PM   #1
yearbooksharon
Disney Veteran

room for a scooter on the Dream?

We are traveling with our parents on the Dream in June. They have a veranda room. My mom has recently developed some mobility issues and we are considering renting her a scooter for our time in the parks. We will be driving a car to the ship so we can bring the scooter with us. My question is, will there be room to park the scooter in the room once on board? We are looking at a small model, but don't want to make her (or my dad) miserable.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:58 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by yearbooksharon View Post
We are traveling with our parents on the Dream in June. They have a veranda room. My mom has recently developed some mobility issues and we are considering renting her a scooter for our time in the parks. We will be driving a car to the ship so we can bring the scooter with us. My question is, will there be room to park the scooter in the room once on board? We are looking at a small model, but don't want to make her (or my dad) miserable.
If you are in a regular room (not accessible) the doorway isn't large enough for a scooter to fit through. And you won't be able to leave in in the hallway (no room for houskeeping carts, other wheelchairs, or strollers to pass).

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-29-2013, 07:17 PM   #3
kcashner
DIS Veteran

If your parents have a HA room, they can drive the scooter into the room and have plenty of room for it there. In a regular room, it will not fit thru the doorway; there are special hallway areas where it can be recharged and remain out of the way.

A consideration--do the parents need the HA features in the bathroom (large shower with shower chair, grab bars on toilet? If so, the obvious answer is the HA cabin. If not, you might think about placing a request stating that they don't require it but will be using the scooter...and if it isn't needed by someone who requires it, your parents would appreciate moving into it. I realize that they'd never want to take the cabin away from someone in a "can't cruise without it" situation, but there is a gray area of "hey, it would be helpful, but we can manage in a regular room."
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:22 PM   #4
disneyfan19712006
DIS Veteran

Scooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yearbooksharon View Post
I usually park mine at the end of the day in the elvator lobby nearest our room. It keeps it out of the way and there is an outlet for charging. I have never had an issue with anyone messing with it just remember to take your key.
For brief stops at the room I have left it in the hall, many people do this with strollers as well. If sailing out of Port Canaveral Brevard county Medical rents and delivers to the ship. It will be waiting upstairs near check in.

For front of the theater access please be there early for the shows and tell them you want to sit in the front. They will take you down a hall, you leave the scooter there and have front row viewing. If you have any other question you can PM me.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:32 PM   #5
ellensfamily
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan19712006 View Post
I usually park mine at the end of the day in the elvator lobby nearest our room. It keeps it out of the way and there is an outlet for charging. I have never had an issue with anyone messing with it just remember to take your key.
For brief stops at the room I have left it in the hall, many people do this with strollers as well. If sailing out of Port Canaveral Brevard county Medical rents and delivers to the ship. It will be waiting upstairs near check in.

For front of the theater access please be there early for the shows and tell them you want to sit in the front. They will take you down a hall, you leave the scooter there and have front row viewing. If you have any other question you can PM me.
Hi, I also will be bringing an ecv onboard. We have a concierge balcony room #11004. But it's not HA. I was told by dcl agent I could keep it in hall outside my room.i hope that's so..
ellensfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:41 PM   #6
disneyfan19712006
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellensfamily View Post
Hi, I also will be bringing an ecv onboard. We have a concierge balcony room #11004. But it's not HA. I was told by dcl agent I could keep it in hall outside my room.i hope that's so..
The halls can get crowded. I have never had a problem leaving it in the hall, but for courtesy of others, if I am going to br in the room for an extended amount of time and at night I use the elevator lobby. It is also a convenient way to charge. You will be so glad you have it. while you are on a ship the distances can be long.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:12 PM   #7
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellensfamily View Post
If you leave it out in the hall, just like if someone leaves a stroller in the hall, then you block the way for anyone else with an ECV, wheelchair or stroller, and actualy make it difficult for anyone to pass your room -- including the room hosts who need to get through the hallway with their cart and room service making deliveries. The hallways are narrow on the ship. You likely spoke with a DCL CS person who has never even set foot on one of the ships so has no idea how they are set up.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:26 AM   #8
ellensfamily
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
If you leave it out in the hall, just like if someone leaves a stroller in the hall, then you block the way for anyone else with an ECV, wheelchair or stroller, and actualy make it difficult for anyone to pass your room -- including the room hosts who need to get through the hallway with their cart and room service making deliveries. The hallways are narrow on the ship. You likely spoke with a DCL CS person who has never even set foot on one of the ships so has no idea how they are set up.
Ooops, actually they have. There are specific inlets in concierge hallways where there is ample room to park I found out.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:01 AM   #9
kcashner
DIS Veteran

There are specific "cut out" places in all the hallways where they have outlets to plug in your scooter. Of course this means that you either must be able to walk down to the room after you park it or a companion must be able to park it for you.

PLEASE do not leave a scooter, stroller, or anything else in the hall outside your room. The HA cabins are at the far forward and aft on the ships, meaning that guests in wheelchairs need to traverse the length of the halls. It is extremely difficult to get a wheelchair or other mobility assist device thru a hallway that is partially blocked with personal items belonging to guests. It is also difficult for the stateroom hosts to manipulate their carts.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:00 AM   #10
ellensfamily
Mouseketeer

That's where I was speaking of. I was given the info from a dcl concierge asst.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:30 AM   #11
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Then it would not be "in hall outside my room". That omission in your post makes a big difference -- "oops".

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:59 AM   #12
bats
Enjoying Bahama Mama's

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan19712006 View Post

This is where I've seen them and they weren't in the way at all. Really useful place for them .. but yes, remember to remove the keys!!
Quality Inn International Apr 2003 - Magic Mouse Villa on Windsor Palms Apr 2006 - Hong Kong Disney Jan 2007 - Dibb villa & Disney Wonder Sept 2008 - Dibb villa for DBF's 40th Feb 2009 - Dibb villa Sept 2009 - Disneyland Paris Nov 2009 - Disneyland California Apr 2010 - Disney Magic 8 night Western Europe Jul 2010 - SSR Sept 2010 - Maiden Voyage on The Dream Jan 26th 2011 - Disney Magic Med cruise Aug 2011 - OKW Sept 2011 - AKV & Disney Dream Feb 2012 - SSR & Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean Oct 2012 - Disney Magic B2B Med Aug 2013 - Disney Magic Med May 2014 - Disney Magic WBTA & our wedding Sept 2014 Disney Magic 11 night Fjords/Iceland/Orkney Isles Jun 2015
bats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:48 AM   #13
ellensfamily
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
Then it would not be "in hall outside my room". That omission in your post makes a big difference -- "oops".
Hmmmm, yup it would be. The concierge asst looked up my room and told me it "would be in the hall outside my room" ... But thanks anyway

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: