Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 09:10 PM   #16
Kae
DIS Veteran

How big do those Postal Service pre paid boxes go? I would go to the PO & get a couple of those & stuff them..
Kae
Oct 1999-POFQ May 1996-AS Music May 1994-Travel Lodge DTD Dec 1971-Contemporary
DisneyLand-March 2006
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:01 AM   #17
jen0610
DIS Veteran

I agree with others, just send them all. Your brother can hang onto the ones that don't fit her just yet.

Even now that she's older, DD15 is all over the size range when it comes to her jeans. Even in the same store. She just got 3 pairs, all at American Eagle. She got a size 10 in skinnys, a size 8 in a kick boot cut, and a 6 in a boyfriend cut.

It's totally crazy. I don't buy her jeans without her.
jen0610 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-30-2013, 09:09 AM   #18
njmom47
He's such a fiend!
The monkeys would go crazy on the cars
I wound up with orange tiger stripes

I was always under the impression as well that the cut of the clothing itself is different. Juniors would be more for a girl who has started to get her curves (defined waist, curvier hips) than a younger girl who may have a more straight figure.
My dd#2 was a size 0 for a long time; now she is in a 3/5. She's 5'6 with a tiny waist and hips, but she does have a donk (sorry honey!). She wears anything from xs to med shirts depending on the manufacturer and cut of the clothing.
ETA I would send it all and let them decide. All in favor of recycling!

Junior Brody Stella Luna Louie Ella the Bunny
Christmas 07/New Years 08-CBR (baseball), 2006-POR (cheering), 2001-Dixie Landings, 1988, 1975-Offsite
Trip was great...no new ticker for awhile!

Last edited by njmom47; 01-30-2013 at 09:35 AM.
njmom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:23 AM   #19
snarlingcoyote
I know people who live in really carpy school districts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kae View Post
How big do those Postal Service pre paid boxes go? I would go to the PO & get a couple of those & stuff them..
Kae
It is AMAZING how much you can stuff into those boxes if you try. I've put a parka and a cashmere cardigan in a SMALL box! You should be able to get several outfits into a box. When they say "if it fits, it ships," they're not joking.
snarlingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:26 AM   #20
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Thank for all of the input. In looking back, my daughter says that she never wore a 00 or 0 size. She went from wearing Girls 14 slims to wearing Junior size 3 and XS. Her memory is much better than mine!

I guess that I'll just send whatever I have and let my niece pick through them. I told her if there is anything that doesn't fit or isn't in keeping with her taste, I want her to drop them in the clothing box at church.

Now to find a box big enough to hold everything and to check UPS shipping costs!

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:32 AM   #21
Robbi
DIS Veteran

It's hard to say because 2 people can be the same height and weight yet wear different sizes. OP, I'd send the clothes to her. She'll be thrilled whether the clothes fit now or not. It will be something new to her. It may give her mother the hint that she needs to shop for her daughter.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:49 AM   #22
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
It's hard to say because 2 people can be the same height and weight yet wear different sizes. OP, I'd send the clothes to her. She'll be thrilled whether the clothes fit now or not. It will be something new to her. It may give her mother the hint that she needs to shop for her daughter.
Knowing my former SIL, she will take the clothes that don't fit to a consignment shop and pocket the money! If anything, it will give her reason to think that she doesn't need to buy any clothes for my niece.

This whole conversation came about because my brother was driving his daughter to school the other morning and she was going on and on about needing clothes that fit. Then she (my niece) asked if he could pay the child support early because "we need to pay the rent". Who puts a child in the middle of child support discussions?!!!!

This is after my brother scraped together the money to pay all of February's child support two weeks ago because his ex was behind on the rent for December and January and then bought my niece two new pairs of jeans following the incident at school. He doesn't have the spare cash to pay for March's child support or even get new sneakers for the kids - which my niece also needs and I'm suggesting that my parents take her out for her upcoming birthday to get them.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:01 AM   #23
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionnette View Post
Knowing my former SIL, she will take the clothes that don't fit to a consignment shop and pocket the money! If anything, it will give her reason to think that she doesn't need to buy any clothes for my niece.

This whole conversation came about because my brother was driving his daughter to school the other morning and she was going on and on about needing clothes that fit. Then she (my niece) asked if he could pay the child support early because "we need to pay the rent". Who puts a child in the middle of child support discussions?!!!!

This is after my brother scraped together the money to pay all of February's child support two weeks ago because his ex was behind on the rent for December and January and then bought my niece two new pairs of jeans following the incident at school. He doesn't have the spare cash to pay for March's child support or even get new sneakers for the kids - which my niece also needs and I'm suggesting that my parents take her out for her upcoming birthday to get them.

This is so sad for your niece. If her mother is neglectful, maybe your brother could try to get custody.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:10 AM   #24
gwynne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionnette View Post
Thank for all of the input. In looking back, my daughter says that she never wore a 00 or 0 size. She went from wearing Girls 14 slims to wearing Junior size 3 and XS. Her memory is much better than mine!

I guess that I'll just send whatever I have and let my niece pick through them. I told her if there is anything that doesn't fit or isn't in keeping with her taste, I want her to drop them in the clothing box at church.

Now to find a box big enough to hold everything and to check UPS shipping costs!
I second the idea of the USPS boxes. You can fit quite a bit in those.
The clothes you are sending have been washed, and that can affect size, too. Great idea to just send 'em all, and let her have fun trying them on.

TY Kook
Trip planning is half the fun! Ad astra per aspera ~Ginny~
gwynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:17 AM   #25
daughtersrus
DIS Veteran

My DD(23) is about 5'4 and weighs about 125lbs.

She normally wears a size 9-10 in juniors. At Christmas, we were shopping for some gifts in the girls section at JCPenney. On a whim, she tried on a pair of girls size 12 1/2. She was shocked that they were actually too big on her. Especially in the butt. I'm not sure how much extra room they put in with their 1/2 sizes.

DD did say that when she needs new jeans, she going to try a girls 10 1/2 and see if they fit. Their much cheaper than junior sizes.
daughtersrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:17 AM   #26
sookie
DIS Veteran

Just send the junior sized clothes. My DD is about 75 lbs and in 6th grade and I put her in size 12 at justice. So I don't think that this girl is a size 12 since she has about 20-25lbs on my DD... so maybe the clothes WILL fit her. If they don't, they will in the future.

If you want to send $$, maybe send a gift card?
sookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:20 AM   #27
sookie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by daughtersrus View Post
My DD(23) is about 5'4 and weighs about 125lbs.

She normally wears a size 9-10 in juniors. At Christmas, we were shopping for some gifts in the girls section at JCPenney. On a whim, she tried on a pair of girls size 12 1/2. She was shocked that they were actually too big on her. Especially in the butt. I'm not sure how much extra room they put in with their 1/2 sizes.

DD did say that when she needs new jeans, she going to try a girls 10 1/2 and see if they fit. Their much cheaper than junior sizes.
Generally, a girls 10-1/2 is equivalent to a 12 in the waist but shorter in the length. My DD was buying those last year because she was shorter, and they fit her better in the waist. Now my DD is taller but her waist is the same - so we go with the 12. She hasn't really gained weight but has gotten taller. Of course - every manufacturer is different.

I would scrap this idea.
sookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:26 AM   #28
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran

I'd send some money as well (because if her clothing is too small, her underclothing will be, too, poor kid), but with your ESIL so inclined to re-appropriate funds, I wouldn't send a check, but a gift card to a place that mostly only sells clothing. Old Navy or Kohl's would probably be a good option.

If the shirts/sweaters or skirts that you send are a bit too large, she can probably still wear them, but that is harder to do with pants because of the length. I'd also consider sending a kit of sewing basics that she can use to take a tuck here or there if needed. (Even if she doesn't really know how to sew, necessity is the mother of invention, and the odds are she will speak to her friends and find her own way to alter them in a way that works for her needs.)

Also, tell your brother that unless he is paying the support through a court-verified holding account, he needs to be getting receipts for those advance payments that state that they were advances on regular support payments, because it will be very easy for her to claim that those payments were extra gifts for DD's needed clothing, and that the regular support in the following months was not paid.

As to who puts a kid in the middle of support discussions, I'm guessing that might not really have been the case. It may be that she overheard her mother talking to someone about the rent situation. As a kid she can't really earn money of her own very easily, but she knows that her dad pays her mom support, so that could just be DN trying on her own to help keep the roof overhead.

Last edited by NotUrsula; 01-30-2013 at 10:36 AM.
NotUrsula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:35 AM   #29
gwynne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotUrsula View Post
I'd send some money as well (because if her clothing is too small, her underclothing will be, too, poor kid), but with your ESIL so inclined to re-appropriate funds, I wouldn't send a check, but a gift card to a place that mostly only sells clothing. Old Navy or Kohl's would probably be a good option.

Also, tell your brother that unless he is paying the support through a court-verified holding account, he needs to be getting receipts for those advance payments that state that they were advances on regular support payments, because it will be very easy for her to claim that those payments were extra gifts for DD's needed clothing, and that the regular support in the following months was not paid.

BBM, This was something I thought of, too. He also probably needs to be thinking about what to do in the future. This problem may become a regular thing.

TY Kook
Trip planning is half the fun! Ad astra per aspera ~Ginny~
gwynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:54 AM   #30
HelenePA
I could use a cupcake now
I'm a tetris addict!
I have a secret obsession with turkeys
Yep I am Cat Stupid

My 12yr old is in a 3 juniors. She is about 5'1" 85 pounds. Now my 10 yr old is in a size 12 slim in girls.. she is about 4'10 and 55 pound (yes she is VERY VERY slim) There is NO way my 12 yr old could fit into her sisters clothes... they'd NEVER button! Even in a reg 12! She will fit into the juniors.. if your afraid of mom putting them up for consignment cut the tags out of them and write the size in with a sharpie.

The universe is big, its vast and complicated, and ridiculous. And sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles. - 11
HelenePA is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: