Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 02:50 PM   #1
LeslieG
DIS Veteran

Animal Kingdom Parade

How long is the AK parade? I know it starts at 3:45, and we have a flight at 6:00. Trying to determine if we can stay for it.
LeslieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:57 PM   #2
JeRmS
Mouseketeer

you would certainly be cutting it close ...

parade starts at 345, if you catch it as it starts by Pizzafari it last maybe 20 minutes ... but in order to walk out you'd have to wait until it fully passes by.

that would be 405pm or so ... give or take several minutes
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-29-2013, 02:58 PM   #3
kmarie99
Mouseketeer

I don't know the exact length of the show but I would say no. It will take atleast 15 min to get out of the park when it is done, 30 mins to get to the airport and you should give yourself atleast 1 hour to get though security and get to your gate (which depending on the day maybe more).

I would not want to risk cutting it that close.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:27 PM   #4
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker and Fairly Good Sailing Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieG View Post
How long is the AK parade? I know it starts at 3:45, and we have a flight at 6:00. Trying to determine if we can stay for it.
. . . don't risk it
. . . not enough time
Old 01-29-2013, 03:28 PM   #5
LeslieG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
. . . don't risk it
. . . not enough time
We don't have any bags to check, so we can go straight to the gate. Otherwise, I wouldn't even consider it. I'll see what I can do to change our schedule.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:34 PM   #6
LeslieG
DIS Veteran

It's been several years since we've been to AK, and I think we missed the parade last time too. Is it a good parade, or would we not be missing much anyway? How does it rank with the other parks' parades?
Old 01-29-2013, 03:38 PM   #7
LaurenT
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't chance it. If you wind up missing your flight the airline will not take responsibility because you got there less than the 90 minutes before a flight they tell you to.
I watched that happen to a woman a couple of years ago, it was not pretty!

Just me and the mouse! Nov 2014 POFQ
Mommy and Me trip! April 2015 offsite
The Whole Gang Aug 2015 AKL
LaurenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:47 PM   #8
P00H1010
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Personally I think you would be cutting it way to close. I believe the parade is about 15 minutes...do you have a rental car or are relying Disney buses and ME? If taking Disney transport it isn't even possible at all. ME is pre-set when they pick you up and that is roughly 2 to 3 hrs before your flight. So if your flight is at 6pm you would have to be back at your resort around 2 or 3pm to catch the ME bus. If you have a rental car you can obviously set your own time frame but that would still be too close for comfort for me. It takes about a 1/2 hour to get to MCO from WDW property. So say you catch the parade at the beginning so you are done around 4ish....by time you get out of the park, and get to your vehicle say it is 4:15ish....then you leave and head to the airport and get there around 4:45ish (with very rough times...I'm sure this all would take longer). That wouldn't leave you with much time at all to get through security and get to your gate....I'd say better safe than sorry and ditch the parade idea.

July 2010: Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
July 2011: Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
July 2012: Split Stay @ Bay Lake Tower/Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
September 2013: Split Stay @ Art of Animation/Beach Club Villas
July 2014: Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort
P00H1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:53 PM   #9
siskaren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We don't have any bags to check, so we can go straight to the gate. Otherwise, I wouldn't even consider it. I'll see what I can do to change our schedule.
Yes, but you still have to go through security, and what if traffic to the airport is bad?
siskaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:29 PM   #10
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You still have to go through security though. It's tough to say how busy it will be at that time of day.
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:57 PM   #11
boBQuincy
I am not carrying three pods
There's something about the smell of the chemicals that just shouts "Photography!"

C'mon, roll the dice!

If everything goes well you should make it. I don't know about other airlines but Southwest only requires that passengers be at the gate 10 minutes before boarding. If you check in online then you have boarding passes already assigned (and can print them at the kiosks at MCO). The only pitfalls then are rush hour traffic (usually not bad on 417) and security.

It's gonna' be tight, how much of a risk taker are you?

"Take the big pill, and go back to the SLR you know. Take the small micro 4/3 pill and you will never look at SLRs the same way again." a G3 and now a GX7. Photos at: suzieandbob.com

Our model monorail site: http://monorail.suzieandbob.com/

boBQuincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:05 PM   #12
Cynt
DIS Veteran

About 15-20 minutes. I wouldn't risk it. If you don't have park hoppers and you really want to see it. Hop over on one of your other days.
April 2011 - POP - Girl's Getway
May 2013 - WBC - FAMILY TRIP!!
Cynt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:05 PM   #13
amym2
DIS Veteran

The security lines at MCO are longer than at any other airport we been through, and we travel quite a bit.

AK parade is our favorite, but personally I wouldn't risk it. Will you need to return a rental car?
amym2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:19 PM   #14
1stvisit0909
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amym2 View Post
The security lines at MCO are longer than at any other airport we been through, and we travel quite a bit.

AK parade is our favorite, but personally I wouldn't risk it. Will you need to return a rental car?
I agree. The security lines at MCO are insane!! I thought the 3 hour ME pick up was nuts -until we used it. We got to our gate with only enough time to buy a drink and tinkle before boarding started. And we checked ALL our rolling luggage at the resort. Had 3 backpacks among four of us. Security took forever!!!

Coronado Springs 2014 PTR
Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time TR POFQ 2012 OKW 09
1stvisit0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:41 PM   #15
kaligal
DIS Veteran

I might. I never leave more than an hour before my plane is scheduled to depart. And I always walk right on.

But I don't care if I miss the flight. I haven't, but if I did, I wouldn't care much. Ad I'm pretty zippy getting to the airport.

People who leave like three hours early (and I have friends who do this!)...I just don't get that. They sit around the airport FOREVER. That is not fun.

One time, a friend of mine in the passenger seat started praying out loud, lol. "Jesus, please let me make this flight. Please don't punish me for being late. I want to go home, Jesus. I know we are late, but please help me make my plane!" Etc., etc. (Jesus helped, I guess. We made the flight. With time to spare.)

Another friend kept announcing the time. "we have forty-two minutes...we have forty-one minutes..."

But I never leave more than an hour out and I've always made my flight.

Don't worry about skipping it, if you do skip it. It isn't the best parade on the planet. The music is excellent, but you can get the CD.
Fantasmic sucks.
kaligal is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: