Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 02:15 PM   #61
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

Aladdin's Magic Carpets. It's fun to ride, but there are plenty of other spinners in the parks, and it's a major traffic-clogger in Adventureland.
ttintagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:17 PM   #62
stindall
Congress Tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonkat View Post
Biggest waste of space? Easy. The last cave on Expedition Everest. It's like you rode a time machine and ended up at Studio 54 in 1977.
I don't understand why people have such a huge problem. Yes the yeti no longer works like it intended, does that make the ride any worse? no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFive View Post
For me, this one's easy. Dinoland in AK!

I remember my very first visit to AK, and stumbling on this area of the park and thinking "Why the heck did they decide to drop a carni in the middle of AK???" Soooo out of place, and doesn't fit with the AK theme at all!

Dan
I don't think the carnival area is that great (but I do like Primeval Whirl), especially since it's always pretty deserted but I like the dino idea (even though I loathe Dinosaur the ride).

9/7/14-9/14/14 "Oh God there's the Yeti" PTR

- Sept 2008 Honeymoon @ Pop - Dec. 2009 surprise for dad (aka worst trip ever) @ Pop -
Sept. 2013 First solo trip @ Pop
- Sept. 2014 brother/sister trip @ pop! -

stindall is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-30-2013, 02:22 PM   #63
Edgehopper
Mouseketeer

I'd say:

Waste of Space, Should be Replaced:

Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse
Tomorrowland Speedway
Tom Sawyer Island
Stitch's Great Escape

Wonders of Life Pavilion
Odyssey Restaurant
Imagination Pavilion 2nd Floor
Captain EO

Backlot Tour
Sounds Dangerous theater

Hester and Chester's DinoRama area

Needs Updates

Carousel of Progress: Should be updated to 1920, 1950, 1980, and 2025 future rather than the current 1910, 1930, 1950, 2005 version.

Ellen's Energy Adventure: There are some changes in energy technology since 1990 that might be worth mentioning?

Adventures into Imagination: You can't completely get rid of a classic, but redo it to make it good again. My personal favorite idea is redoing it incorporating Figment and Meet the Robinsons, and bringing back a focus on invention and creativity.

Innoventions: The kiddy directed corporate demos are just kind of sad. I remember when Innoventions was fun, back when Sega sponsored a huge chunk of it.

Indiana Jones Stunt Show: Stunt shows are fun, but this is outdated.

Next anticipated WDW trip: Oct. 2013
Edgehopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:39 PM   #64
Jasonkat
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stindall View Post
I don't understand why people have such a huge problem. Yes the yeti no longer works like it intended, does that make the ride any worse? no.
The problem isn't that the Yeti doesn't work. The problem is that Disney tried to hide the fact the Yeti doesn't work by putting a strobe light in the cave so it "looks" like the Yeti moves - Mr. Roboto-style

The cover up is always worse than the crime. Disney should just make the cave bright again so we can see how awesome the Yeti looks. An immovable yeti in a lighted cave is better than "disco yeti" any day of the week.

But it's OK there's a flashing light on me
Sorry if you wanted more it's only Disney
It's only Disney
What more than a strobe would you expect at Disney?
Jasonkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:41 PM   #65
Hardy
Mouseketeer

Any empty building is obviously the biggest waste! But I have to put in another vote for speedway. I'm wondering if something will happen to it once cars land happens (hopefully!)

And I would be very sad to see carousel of progress go, but I'd love to see it updated.

Swiss family treehouse, it wasn't fun until we watched the movie, then we got the attraction a little more. But, I would venture to say the majority of visitors never have and never will see it these days.

Pop Century/Wilderness Lodge/Boardwalk Villas - June 2013
Animal Kingdom Villas (Kidani) August 2012
Old Key West - August 2011
Beach Club Villas - January 2011
Animal Kingdom Villas (Kidani) and our 1st visit to Hogwarts! - October 2010
All Star Music/Saratoga Springs/Pop Century - March 2009
Caribbean Beach - October 2008
Port Orleans Riverside - October 2005
Offsite as a kid (what were my parents thinking?)
Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:44 PM   #66
Jasonkat
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
Aladdin's Magic Carpets. It's fun to ride, but there are plenty of other spinners in the parks, and it's a major traffic-clogger in Adventureland.
I think this is the best answer so far. Aladdin's carpets is probably the only attraction whose removal would make the parks better. Empty space would be better than the carpets.

All other attractions aren't "in the way" like the carpets are.
Jasonkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:45 PM   #67
Hardy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonkat

I think this is the best answer so far. Aladdin's carpets is probably the only attraction whose removal would make the parks better. Empty space would be better than the carpets.

All other attractions aren't "in the way" like the carpets are.
I don't know, my daughter gets a special joy out of maneuvering the carpet so the camel will hopefully spit in my face...

Edit for typo

Pop Century/Wilderness Lodge/Boardwalk Villas - June 2013
Animal Kingdom Villas (Kidani) August 2012
Old Key West - August 2011
Beach Club Villas - January 2011
Animal Kingdom Villas (Kidani) and our 1st visit to Hogwarts! - October 2010
All Star Music/Saratoga Springs/Pop Century - March 2009
Caribbean Beach - October 2008
Port Orleans Riverside - October 2005
Offsite as a kid (what were my parents thinking?)
Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:13 PM   #68
jtowntoflorida
Looking Like I Can't Really Afford To Go To Disney Since 2012!

My kids have never seen The Swiss Family Robinson (neither have I) and have not a clue who Tom Sawyer is, but they both loved the Treehouse and Tom Sawyer Island. A huge treehouse? An island with a fort with secret passages? Those were big time parties for my young kids.

I'll agree that Camp Minnie-Mickey itself is a waste of space. It's a lot of square footage dedicated to a meet & greet area.

On our first trip in 2011, we didn't even step foot in Tomorrowland--there was nothing we were interested in trying. On our second trip last year, we tried a few attractions (Space Mountain and Buzz) and I was suprised at how much just barren, open, nonshaded concrete there is in that area. I definitely think the whole land could use a refurb.
jtowntoflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:19 PM   #69
MegSmethurst
Mouseketeer

The Avatar expansion to AK.

...oh wait that isn't built yet?

Yes, let's build a whole section based on a movie with almost no plotline but amazing effects that people have already forgotten about.

Ok so the movie was alright but a whole AK section? No thanks. Let's build a section based on mythical creatures or animals from parts of the world that arn't in Africa or Asia.

MegSmethurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:30 PM   #70
Magical Kingdoms
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ View Post
DEFINITELY Journey into Imagination - unless they bring back the original, in which case it would return to being one of our faves.....
I'd love to see it get returned to it's former glory or like a previous poster said and include Meet the Robinsons, along with Figment, somehow. Reopening the top floor would be nice too. I'll never understand why they trashed the original concept and got rid of Dreamfinder.

The big combo ride for all the classic characters doesn't exactly work. How do you combine Peter Pan, Dumbo, Pooh, Snow White, and Mr. Toad?

I don't think that many of the above mentioned rides/attractions are big wastes of space. Except for Captain EO, Stitch, American Idol, and the Tomorrowland Speedway. I agree that those can go.

A lot of the rides should be updated, that much can be said. I'd like it if Disney did something similar to the Sorcerer's Workshop (I believe that's what it's called) at DCA, only they placed it in New Fantasyland (Where Tommorowland Speedway sits) or Innoventions. That'd be an excellent way to include a few of Disney's lesser known characters, and to include them in a sort of interactive experience.
WDW trips - 2000 - 1st Trip, Sept. 2001 - All Star Sports, 2002 - Polynesian, 2003 or 2004(?) - Port Orleans/Coronado Springs, 2005 - All Star Music, Oct. 2006 - MNSSHP (All Star Movies), Aug. 2007 - Day trip for Pirate and Princess Party, Nov. 2009 - Matt's B-Day trip, back to All Star Music, Oct. 2010 - My B-Day trip, Pop Century

Universal Trips - May 2012 -1st (and currently only) Trip, Day at IOA and the WWoHP!
Magical Kingdoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:24 PM   #71
jade1
If your lucky enough to live on the lake, your lucky enough.

The old 20,000 Leagues ride would be a great spot for something.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:44 PM   #72
stindall
Congress Tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade1 View Post
The old 20,000 Leagues ride would be a great spot for something.

It's already been replaced...

9/7/14-9/14/14 "Oh God there's the Yeti" PTR

- Sept 2008 Honeymoon @ Pop - Dec. 2009 surprise for dad (aka worst trip ever) @ Pop -
Sept. 2013 First solo trip @ Pop
- Sept. 2014 brother/sister trip @ pop! -

stindall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:02 PM   #73
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonkat View Post
The problem isn't that the Yeti doesn't work. The problem is that Disney tried to hide the fact the Yeti doesn't work by putting a strobe light in the cave so it "looks" like the Yeti moves - Mr. Roboto-style

The cover up is always worse than the crime. Disney should just make the cave bright again so we can see how awesome the Yeti looks. An immovable yeti in a lighted cave is better than "disco yeti" any day of the week.

But it's OK there's a flashing light on me
Sorry if you wanted more it's only Disney
It's only Disney
What more than a strobe would you expect at Disney?
And on top of that, they're still using footage of a working Yeti to promote the ride.
ttintagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:10 PM   #74
Flyin2MCO
There IS a man on the wing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magical Kingdoms View Post
The big combo ride for all the classic characters doesn't exactly work. How do you combine Peter Pan, Dumbo, Pooh, Snow White, and Mr. Toad?
We won WWII and sent a man to the moon...I think Imagineers can solve this one.

Just set up a ride track and move through different sets, with video/audio and the latest technology and effects. Disney is good at transitions through various lands, so why would this be a problem for such a ride? The vehicle could be neutral or reflect all the represented themes or characters.

WDW - Jan13 (BCV), Jun11 (off), Sep10 (BCV), Aug08 (YC), Nov06 (off), Jan05 (off)

DL - Aug11 (VGC)
Flyin2MCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:14 PM   #75
Orangeandwild
I'd rather be in Epcot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcraige View Post
What about EPCOT -- both Odyssey and Wonders of Life?
This is exactly what I was going to say, as these spaces are only very rarely used on holidays and for festivals in the case of Wonders of Life.

58 wonderful trips to Disney so far!!!
Orangeandwild is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: