Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 04:14 PM   #1
qman
DIS Veteran

Wastes of Space

In the four parks what you think is biggest waste of space? If the Back Lot at the Studios does not win hands down I don't know what does.
qman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:17 PM   #2
LaurenT
DIS Veteran

Captain Eo. Pretty much that whole pavilion actually. It used to be so cool....

Just me and the mouse! Nov 2014 POFQ
Mommy and Me trip! April 2015 offsite
The Whole Gang Aug 2015 AKL
LaurenT is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-29-2013, 04:18 PM   #3
AuroraMeansDawn
DIS Veteran

I never thought I'd say I missed a dog sneezing on me
Nov 1991 Offsite - June 1997 Disneyland Paris - May 1999 Dixie Landings - Alligator Bayou - May 2000 Dixie Landings - Alligator Bayou - December 2008 - Animal Kingdom Lodge November 2010 POFQ - 25th Wedding Anniversary SSR with my Prince Charming - April 2011 - March 2013 Graduation Trip for my Boy at POFQ
AuroraMeansDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:26 PM   #4
FuzzyLump502
Earning My Ears

I remember going to eo over and over again as a kid... Took my wife this last year an hyped it up as a great attraction... It was a great air conditioned nap zone

FuzzyLump502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:27 PM   #5
disnut8
DIS Veteran

While this may get me labeled as a Disney 'shipper, I don't really think any space is wasted. I don't like the way the Back Lot Tour is now (I call it the Basically Lame Tour) but I recently read an article about how much history and props are stored back there. Plus, the awesome AFI Store that most people just rush through. It's the Hollywood Studios and the emphasis should be on film and not just rides, rides, rides. I nice slow thing is good every once in a while. That being said, I liked it much better than Lights, Motors, Action! But that's one of my husband's favorites. It's really to each his own.

Would I like to see more countries at Epcot? Sure! But I would also like to continue seeing the natural beauty that is World Showcase. Would I like to see Camp Minnie-Mickey gone (we have no kids at home)? Sure! But there is something nice about that area.

I dunno, I guess I just try and see the good stuff.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:27 PM   #6
mlsjmu
Earning My Ears

Tomorrowland Speedway...large footprint of space that could be better utilized. I realize at park opening it was a nice draw for younger kids, but it's no longer particularly unique to Disney, nor particularly exciting for most guests.
mlsjmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:29 PM   #7
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenT View Post
Captain Eo. Pretty much that whole pavilion actually. It used to be so cool....
I really hate to say it....but I agree
Old 01-29-2013, 04:31 PM   #8
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by qman View Post
In the four parks what you think is biggest waste of space? If the Back Lot at the Studios does not win hands down I don't know what does.
Apparently Disney agrees with you.
That section and the Lights Motors ACTION stadium are (tentatively) scheduled to be repurposed as
part of the new Pixar Place/Carsland section at DHS.

Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:41 PM   #9
MVC1225
Mouseketeer

I know some people here like it but the Swiss Family Treehouse wins for me hands down. After you are already walking miles in the park all day, the attraction consists of climbing stairs in a tree to see furniture. I did it in the 70s when I was a kid (and there was only one park so you did EVERYTHING in Magic Kingdom) but never again since then.
Future Trips: October 2014 - AS Sports; January 2015 - Fort Wilderness

MVC1225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:43 PM   #10
FortForever
Disney since Day 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by qman View Post
That would be my opinion as well. I haven't been on it in over a decade but did a few times before it got to be one of those "been there, done that" things that I didn't care to do again. My memories of it are good, though, so glad I haven't done it recently to ruin it for me.

Captain Eo - Never was right for Disney. It can go.

As far as Tomorrowland Speedway, it's just the way I remember it from when I was a kid so I would hate to see it go. Even though it's not unique, lots of people enjoy it, especially little kids.
FortForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:43 PM   #11
gcoolie
I do believe in fairies!

Captain EO popped into my mind immediately when I read this!

gcoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:49 PM   #12
Pig Pen
To all who have come to this happy place...welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVC1225 View Post
I know some people here like it but the Swiss Family Treehouse wins for me hands down. After you are already walking miles in the park all day, the attraction consists of climbing stairs in a tree to see furniture. I did it in the 70s when I was a kid (and there was only one park so you did EVERYTHING in Magic Kingdom) but never again since then.
This made me laugh. I go through this maybe once every two years. However I agree that the Backlot Tour is a major waste. Glad to hear it might be scrapped to make way for a new land.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:49 PM   #13
shademan
Earning My Ears

I think Disney's next move is going to have to be to update Tomorrowland. Let's face it, there is a ton of room that isn't being utilized. The Tomorrowland Speedway, Stitch and Carousal of Progress are all pretty boring. I know some people love those (let's face it, there isn't a ride at Disney that SOMEONE doesn't love), but those three could all could be updated.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:49 PM   #14
FortForever
Disney since Day 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVC1225 View Post
I haven't been in it since the 70's either. I completely forgot about that one. I just veto'ed that with my grandson a couple of weeks ago. He's going to have to wait until his parents are with him for those gazillion stairs!
Old 01-29-2013, 04:52 PM   #15
FortForever
Disney since Day 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shademan View Post
I think Disney's next move is going to have to be to update Tomorrowland. Let's face it, there is a ton of room that isn't being utilized. The Tomorrowland Speedway, Stitch and Carousal of Progress are all pretty boring. I know some people love those (let's face it, there isn't a ride at Disney that SOMEONE doesn't love), but those three could all could be updated.
I love the Carousel of Progress. Seriously. Yes, I know I'm a geek.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: