Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 02:12 PM   #1
mamamac
Mouseketeer

Things to do for the "older crowd"

I need some ideas / help. Long story short my Dad (66) is coming with us on the cruise. Unfortunately after 3 back surgeries, it has left nerve damage in one of his legs causing him to be a little on the unsteady side. He knows his limits but he is stubborn and won't use any "assistive devices" even though they probably would help. It's really starting to bum him out because he won't be able to do the excursion with his grandkids, nor will he be able to walk on the sand at Castaway Cay. He made the comment to my step mom "Well, I will just stay on the ship". What on board activities will be going on when at CC or Nassau?

At CC, isn't there a tram that could take him down to the adult beach? Would there be a large sandy area he would have to walk to get to the little snack bar? The path for bicycles looks like it's paved, or is it packed sand?

I did mention that there are Wine Tastings and cooking demonstrations. I also told him about the lounges. What else is there? He's not going to go to the adult clubs to dance.

4/2002 - Family Reunion at Contemporary
5/2009 - Family fun with neighbors and inlaws at Windsor Hills
5/2010 - A "Re-do of the Re-do Vacation" at Wilderness Lodge
5/2011 - Contemporary with Oma and Opa

June 2013 Looking forward to our first cruise with the family!
mamamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:50 PM   #2
neg58
DIS Veteran

He can take a tram all the way to the adult beach (he'd have to switch trams but it is on pavement). The tram would then drop him at the entrance to Serenity. He could walk up the ramp to the bar and never go on the sand, and he could walk out of the bar to some very close chairs and loungers, or he could just sit at the outside tables at the bar.

He could also take the tram to the family beach and then just stay up by the shops and bathrooms, Cookies BBQ, etc. the beach is right in front, but he doesn't have to walk there.

They have golf carts should he ever need them to get him all the way back to the ship. Disney won't strand him on CC (although what a way to go!)

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-29-2013, 02:59 PM   #3
scrapycruiser
DIS Veteran

We're both in our 60's and we enjoy the adult pool during the day, trivia contest, wine tastings, and especially like the sports bar. We enjoyed watching an outdoor movie by the pool with our Grandson. Meal time is always special with our Grandchildren. Tell him not to miss Castaway Cay. There are plenty of lounge chairs & umbrellas & hammocks that are close to the paved walkways but still on the beach. Take the tram to the second stop. Take the path like you're headed toward the ship and there is a great place that's near the bar & restrooms. Most people like to sit close to the water so I'm sure you'll find a spot. I would advise to get off the ship early to be sure.
Personally, I'd rather enjoy the pool on the ship than get off in Nassau. Plus there is a long walk which could be a problem with mobility issues. Enjoy your cruise !!
Old 01-29-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
DLBDS
Loves that Sweetened Condensed Milk

If he does decide to skip the CC beach fun, he could at least plan on having lunch with the kids there. Those areas are paved. The food is good too and the atmosphere is great. He doesn't have to set a foot in the sand. It would be a shame if he missed out on CC completely. I hope he enjoys the cruise and spending time with the grands!
May 2011 Disney Dream (9674) / Wilderness Lodge (4034 Woods View)
October 2010
Disney Wonder (6598)/Wilderness Lodge (7107 Club Level)/Animal KingdomLodge (4311 Club Level)
February 2009 Port Orleans Riverside (2404 Alligator Bayou) May 2009 Hard Rock Hotel/Swan/DIS Podcast Cruise (Disney Wonder) (6592)
September 2008 Contemporary Resort (5150 Garden Wing)
February 2007 Wilderness Lodge (7044 Club Level) June 2007 Hawthorn Suites (Off Property) October 2007 Wilderness Lodge (7048 Club Level)
Nov/Dec 2006 - Wilderness Lodge (3167 Courtyard)
DLBDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:42 PM   #5
kcashner
DIS Veteran

There is a tram to the adult area of the beach and the food outlet there (the adult beach is called Serenity Bay.) He can do a very short walk on the sand to be on the beach....or can just sit in the food area. The paved paths around the family area will take him to Grouper game pavilion, a music area, etc. Really, only the use of the beach requires walking on the sand. He can get to the food, shopping, and "fun" areas all on paved paths and much of it by tram. There are beach wheelchairs available, but I found them hard to push with an adult female in one.

He CAN remain on the ship, and lunch is served in one restaurant if that is his choice. Unless the weather goes sour, there is little or nothing happening on board though.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:56 PM   #6
mamamac
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the replies! I will get him off that ship come hell or high water at CC!! Nassau I am not that worried about. I mentioned that there could be a trivia thing and he said he would do that in a heartbeat. He's just kind of down in the dumps about what he "can't do", so I'm trying to pump him up so he will have something other than just sitting around the pool.

4/2002 - Family Reunion at Contemporary
5/2009 - Family fun with neighbors and inlaws at Windsor Hills
5/2010 - A "Re-do of the Re-do Vacation" at Wilderness Lodge
5/2011 - Contemporary with Oma and Opa

June 2013 Looking forward to our first cruise with the family!
mamamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:04 AM   #7
pharmjenn
Mouseketeer

We had trivia atleast once per day on the PC crossing. Lots of fun for all ages, even if you didn't have any idea of the answers.
pharmjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:17 AM   #8
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmjenn View Post
We had trivia atleast once per day on the PC crossing. Lots of fun for all ages, even if you didn't have any idea of the answers.
DH and I are trivia buffs, and friends consider us Disney trivia experts, but playing Disney trivia pursuit against other passengers on a Disney cruise takes it to a whole other level. acckkk! You could recommend that he watch a bunch of Disney movies and study WDW and DLR history and Walt's biographical info to "brush up" his memory before the cruise, but he'll be up against the best.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: