Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 12:55 PM   #1
geetha
Earning My Ears

Travelling with young kids in buses during excursions (GC and Cozumel)

First time cruisers here so have families out there travelled in any of the bus tours in Grand Cayman and Cozumel with small toddlers? I have a 2.5 yo and 4 yo and wonder if we need to lug carseats for those excursions? Would those buses have seat belts or are there restraining belts that I should buy here for the trip? Hope to pack lightly! Thanks.
geetha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:58 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by geetha View Post
First time cruisers here so have families out there travelled in any of the bus tours in Grand Cayman and Cozumel with small toddlers? I have a 2.5 yo and 4 yo and wonder if we need to lug carseats for those excursions? Would those buses have seat belts or are there restraining belts that I should buy here for the trip? Hope to pack lightly! Thanks.
Busses don't have the seat belts necessary for car seats. And, for the most part, taxis may not either in foreign countries.

It's up to you where your comfort zone is in letting them ride belt-free.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-29-2013, 12:59 PM   #3
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club ~ My driveway to WDW = 1 hour!

Location: Tampa, FL resident since 2007 (formally from Lorain & Columbus O-H-I-O)

We did a tour in GC when our daughter was 4 & it was fine without a car seat. I *believe* there was a lap belt, but I can't remember 100% for sure. Honestly, there's no way is lug two car seats (personal opinion).

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2015 - Wonder Mar 4n; Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 3n ~ 2014 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic - Oct SOUTHERN/B2B repo ~ 2013 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 - June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 - Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:38 PM   #4
CanuckTraveller
Mouseketeer

I'm usually in the minority, but I'm also a car seat tech and I always travel with appropriate restraints for my children. There are taxis in Mexico with seatbelts, they can be found with some patience and persistence. While we didn't use any transportation in Cozumel, I did scope out the taxis and they definitely had some with working 3 point seatbelts. My opinion is I'd rather deal with the hassle of car seats than find out what a Mexican trauma centre looks like from the inside.
It is possible to bring two car seats into port, especially if you have two adults. I think I have used almost every trick in the book, and I'm more than happy to share
African safari, July, 2016

Past:
DCL Dream/ WDW, March, 2013
NCL Jewel, New Year's Eve, 2012
NCL Star, New Year's, 2012
NCL Sun, New Year's, 2011
Land trips to all Canadian provinces, most of the eastern US, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Cuba, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Egypt, Columbia, Puerto Rico and a few others I can't remember as a child!
CanuckTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:41 PM   #5
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckTraveller View Post
I'm usually in the minority, but I'm also a car seat tech and I always travel with appropriate restraints for my children. There are taxis in Mexico with seatbelts, they can be found with some patience and persistence. While we didn't use any transportation in Cozumel, I did scope out the taxis and they definitely had some with working 3 point seatbelts. My opinion is I'd rather deal with the hassle of car seats than find out what a Mexican trauma centre looks like from the inside.
It is possible to bring two car seats into port, especially if you have two adults. I think I have used almost every trick in the book, and I'm more than happy to share
Do you happen to know if there are seat belts on the vans they use? We are doing the Discover Mexico in Cozumel. My 5yr olds are still in a 5 point harness, but I did go out and buy some boosters to bring with us to use on the shuttle from IAH to Galveston so I will have those with us on the ship. Can I use those on the van in Mexico?

Also, I was told by Disney that they hire one of 3 companies for their transfers so I am assuming they would all have belts, right? Most shuttles do I think. She did say it isn't like a Magical Express type bus. Thanks.

wallawallakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:11 PM   #6
DahliaRW
DIS Veteran

You do not need a car seat on a bus. Busses rely on compartmentalization. Taxis are a whole other ball game.
Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean Cruise January 18-25, 2014
Walt Disney World (Port Orleans Riverside) January 25-29, 2014 (Epcot, AK, MK, Epcot, HS)

DahliaRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:38 PM   #7
SnowWhite2
DIS Veteran

Sometimes the van or bus is an open air truck with benches in the back. Think Disney trams only the sides are more open and they are up higher in the air. In that scenario, you would need to put the kids towards the inside of the van.

Third world countries have their priorities on everyday survival, not worrying about car seats. They don't see the issue nor have the laws. You need to do what you feel is best in your situation.

December 28, 2014 NYE Magic
November 10, 2014 Dream double-dip
June 9, 2014 Alaska Wonder
December 28, 2013 NYE Fantasy
December 29, 2012 NYE Fantasy
December 29, 2011 NYE Dream
December 26, 2009 NYE Magic
December 20, 2008 Christmas Magic
February 2, 2008 Eastern Magic
February 3, 2007 Eastern Magic
April 15, 2006 Western Magic
February 2003 Eastern Magic
SnowWhite2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:31 AM   #8
Woodmnky
DIS Veteran

I asked at the Port Adventures desk about excursions that would offer the ability to propertly restrain my son and they did not have any information about the types of vehicles used. This was one of several reasons that we chose not to do any excursions. I also am unwilling to find out about the trauma capabilities of a foreign country.
Woodmnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:57 AM   #9
jodical
Mouseketeer

I traveled with a 3-year old and 6-year old on the Grand Cayman Island Tour and Discover Mexico Tour (ours also included San Gervasio) and both buses had lap belts which suited us fine. As I reall the buses in Cozumel were newer and larger - a full size bus, unlike GC which used mini-buses for our tours. We booked both excursions through Disney. Hope that helps! Enjoy!!!

Disney Fantasy Nov. 2012

Trying to decide what our next Disney trip will be...
jodical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:01 AM   #10
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodical View Post
I traveled with a 3-year old and 6-year old on the Grand Cayman Island Tour and Discover Mexico Tour (ours also included San Gervasio) and both buses had lap belts which suited us fine. As I reall the buses in Cozumel were newer and larger - a full size bus, unlike GC which used mini-buses for our tours. We booked both excursions through Disney. Hope that helps! Enjoy!!!
Thank you!!! That is the one we signed up for!! Thanks so much.

wallawallakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:31 AM   #11
CanuckTraveller
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodmnky View Post
I asked at the Port Adventures desk about excursions that would offer the ability to propertly restrain my son and they did not have any information about the types of vehicles used. This was one of several reasons that we chose not to do any excursions. I also am unwilling to find out about the trauma capabilities of a foreign country.
This is why I set up my own excursions. While I haven't sailed DCL yet, we are very familiar with other cruiselines and I have never gotten good information about specifics like seatbelts from the shore excursions representatives. So I find a reputable tour company and book my own excursions. It usually turns out to be less expensive and more flexible in terms of how we spend our time in port.
Another poster mentioned how a "bus" on a Carribean island isn't always what we think of as a bus here in North America. Just because a form of transportation is offered doesn't mean it is safe. On our last cruise NCL actually warned people against using scooters in Nassau. While there are reports of people getting into accidents or getting hurt, this is the most overt message I have seen.
African safari, July, 2016

Past:
DCL Dream/ WDW, March, 2013
NCL Jewel, New Year's Eve, 2012
NCL Star, New Year's, 2012
NCL Sun, New Year's, 2011
Land trips to all Canadian provinces, most of the eastern US, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Cuba, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Egypt, Columbia, Puerto Rico and a few others I can't remember as a child!
CanuckTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: