Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2014, 10:18 PM   #1
kermit116
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy."

Trip to Quebec City

DH and I are traveling to Quebec City in a few weeks for a romantic long weekend getaway. I'm doing some research on QC, and would love some input.

1. Where is a good place to have a romantic dinner in Quebec City? We are fans of all kinds of food, and are just as happy in a small local place with great food as in upscale restaurants.

2. What activities would you recommend for a long weekend in January? We are planning to bundle up and visit old Quebec City, Montmorency Falls, and the aquarium. What other sites should we try to visit (keeping in mind the time of year)?

3. Will we struggle to communicate? We both speak a few languages, but French is not one of them. I'm planning to download an app to help us communicate if we get in a bind. We're planning to get a taxi from the airport and also to Montmorency Falls. I feel like we can probably stumble through ordering food at restaurants without to much trouble, so I'm mostly just concerned about communication at tourism sites and for transportation.

Any other tips or advice (other than packing warm clothes)?
kermit116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:30 PM   #2
star72232
Earning My Ears

DH and I went to QC for our honeymoon. 😍

I still remember our dinner at Aux Ancien Canadiens. So amazing. Language won't be an issue - everywhere we went they gave us English menus and everyone spoke English to us as soon as they realized we didn't speak French (when we said "Bonjour" ).

Take a carriage ride if you can - so much fun! And check out the Chateau.
star72232 is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-05-2014, 08:25 AM   #3
Gigi22
DIS Veteran

You should definitely check the weather forecast prior to your trip. Quebec City is in a region that can get a lot of snow, you need to be prepared for that. If there is a lot of snow, getting around the old city is tricky, narrow streets, steep hills, cobblestones... I second Aux Anciens Canadiens for a meal, try the Tarte au sucre (sugar pie). Also, if you go into the Chateau Frontenac, I suggest you have a drink in the bar on the main floor, try to get a table by the window--you will have a lovely view of Dufferin Terrace, the seaway, and the city of Levis. Particularly romantic in the evening with the city lights on. The Chateau is undergoing renovations, so you may want to have another option in mind.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:24 AM   #4
Evelyne
Mouseketeer

Depending when you will get there you have the Carnaval de Québec that starts Jan. 31th.
You also have Hotel de Glace, check theie web site
www.hoteldeglace-canada.com it is very unique, then if you have a car you have l'Ile d'Orléans, it is a little island in the area that is very pretty in the Summer, not sure about Winter...
As for the language don't worry they are really tourists minded!!! As soon as the first word in english will come of your mouth you will even get a better service than us Québec resident!!!
For restaurants besides the ones already suggested you could try La cache à Champlain.
Give an update after your trip wich I am sure you will enjoy,
Québec's #1 fan
Evelyne is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: