Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 12:38 PM   #1
rbenn81
Mouseketeer

When to go dilemma

My DW is a school teacher and last year she transferred from a year round school to a traditional school. We had been going on our WDW trips the week before Columbus day, during her two week break from school. Now she doesn't get that, and she is not big on taking time off away from her students. Which makes it difficult for me to plan our next trip anything but the typical busy times at WDW, summer break, spring break or Christmas break.
I'm leaning towards the week before Easter in 2014 but I just can't bring myself to even attempt it due to the crowds. If you've been during that time, what are the crowds like and are they anywhere near the Christmas and July 4th crowds? If anyone else is a teacher or married to one, what time of year do you go? The school calender here in NC typically runs the last of Aug thru June 10th. TIA

Disdad Member #464
Me DW DD DS
rbenn81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:16 PM   #2
Tosie
1100 miles from "home"

Not a teacher and my kids (16 and 12) start after Labor Day, but we go in mid-to-late Aug. I know you can't go in late Aug but mid is worth considering. Yes, it's HOT but crowds are low and we've had great trips since we started doing August in 2009.

Good luck with your planning!
Tosie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-29-2013, 05:16 PM   #3
lovealldisneythings
Earning My Ears

I am not a teacher but we went last year also in Aug and yes it was HOT but it was fine just drink water and take breaks in the afternoon. We did see rain most afternoons around 4 or so. I would go in August again no problem the crowds were busy but not as bad as spring break which we have also done.
lovealldisneythings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:33 PM   #4
Luv4Dis
Mouseketeer

I am a teacher in ny. We are going this spring break and went 3springbreaks ago. We went to parks early w kids and went back to resort to swim and relax once it seemed like the park was getting crowded. We would usually head to a different park in the evening. We took advantage of FP and EMH. We planned ahead a little, but paced ourselves. I remember my husband and I thought that despite the crowd warnings of spring break.....it wasn't so bad. Lol actually quite doable. And that is why we are going again during the same week....that and of course that is when I'm off
Old 01-29-2013, 06:43 PM   #5
juliebug1997
DIS Veteran

I teach school in TX, and we have gone over our July 4th several times. It seems to be really busy the day before and the day of, but then it doesn't seem quite as bad afterwards.

Commando #137 at your service!
juliebug1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:48 PM   #6
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Many schools up North run well into June & then don't start up until after Labor Day. Other parts of the country are out June 1 or even before, but are back in session mid August.

That basically says very early June or very late August (whichever you have available) is most likely going to produce the lowest crowds of any time traditional school is not in session. Get the WPF&M option and spend some time at the waterparks
Old 01-29-2013, 06:49 PM   #7
mickeyluv'r
DIS Veteran

I know you say you don't want to take time off from work...but one of your best options would be to find a time when her district has the oddball three day weekend -maybe a smaller holiday weekend. Maybe something unique to your district or state - and make it into a four day visit, and missing only one day of work. That's a great compromise. To compensate for the 'shorter' trip, stay at a deluxe resort. (maybe the Swan!)

I have been during Easter and President's week a number of times. (also during Thanksgiving) I now avoid those weeks if I can. It's not the crowds, it's the crazy price gouging: airfare, hotel rooms...food surcharges. Those are crazy.

I've also been during summer. WDW is doable in the summer. It can be hot, but it can also be quite nice. I think the big thing there is to know about huricane season, and that afternoon thunderstorms are common.

The big 'secret' trick I use is that we *generally* take advantage of all the park hours. If the park opens at 7am, we are there within 45 min of the gate opening- usually less. If the gates stay open past midnight - we are there past midnight. We perhaps nap to make it happen, or maybe sleep in one morning. I accept that we might not go on every e-ride ten times...but maybe we spend more time looking at the gardens. There's never a line to look at the rose garden in Epcot, and it's really beautiful! There's lots of fun things to do in WDw besides thrill rides - we just shift our focus a little if the crowds are crazy. I've never some away feeling like we didn't see 'everything' and didn't do a 'ton of fun stuff.'

At three am, MK is rarely crowded. Call me crazy, but I'll take extended park hours and some crowds over parks that mostly close before 9pm. Ugh! I hate going to WDw when MK closes at 7pm. That's missing half the fun!

Oh - and if you go the holiday route...you can also modify how you tour based on the holiday. Never go to MK on a holiday day. Expect thatt he holiday day will be the most crowded. You least crowded days will be the ones furthest from the holiday- do MK that day. If you think about how to zig when the crowd zags, it will pay off.
mickeyluv'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:19 PM   #8
DizneyLizzy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyluv'r View Post
I have been during Easter and President's week a number of times. (also during Thanksgiving) I now avoid those weeks if I can. It's not the crowds, it's the crazy price gouging: airfare, hotel rooms...food surcharges. Those are crazy.
THIS!! This is what sucks the most about the teacher schedule and travel. I can deal with the crowds - especially during Easter/Spring break bc the weather is literally perfect - but it's the price gauging that is a killer. If you can afford to go during Easter week (I can't) then I say to then and take advantage of the amazing weather and long park hours.

If you can't justify $192 a night at a value resort (which is rack rate at Pop for this year's Easter week), then I suggest mid-August or Memorial Day weekend (my district gives us a 1/2 day the Friday before Memorial Day so I've done that weekend before). June right when school gets out is tough if you live in the northeast because our school districts are extended almost every year because of snow days, and it's hard to predict exactly when school will end.
DizneyLizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:36 PM   #9
rbenn81
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizneyLizzy View Post
THIS!! This is what sucks the most about the teacher schedule and travel. I can deal with the crowds - especially during Easter/Spring break bc the weather is literally perfect - but it's the price gauging that is a killer. If you can afford to go during Easter week (I can't) then I say to then and take advantage of the amazing weather and long park hours.

If you can't justify $192 a night at a value resort (which is rack rate at Pop for this year's Easter week), then I suggest mid-August or Memorial Day weekend (my district gives us a 1/2 day the Friday before Memorial Day so I've done that weekend before). June right when school gets out is tough if you live in the northeast because our school districts are extended almost every year because of snow days, and it's hard to predict exactly when school will end.
Luckily I have a real good friend who gives me a great rate on renting his DVC points and I normally purchase tickets through undercover tourist or AAA depending on my procrastination. We always drive since it's only 8 hours so we don't have to worry about airfare. Looks like we may hold off and go over MLK in 2015 depending on the amount of workdays on the schedule that week. If not it's mid August or Easter week. I can deal with crowds as long as it's not 90+ heat and humudity..... Thanks again for everybodies input.

Disdad Member #464
Me DW DD DS
Old 01-30-2013, 04:17 PM   #10
danceintherain
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbenn81 View Post
Luckily I have a real good friend who gives me a great rate on renting his DVC points and I normally purchase tickets through undercover tourist or AAA depending on my procrastination. We always drive since it's only 8 hours so we don't have to worry about airfare. Looks like we may hold off and go over MLK in 2015 depending on the amount of workdays on the schedule that week. If not it's mid August or Easter week. I can deal with crowds as long as it's not 90+ heat and humudity..... Thanks again for everybodies input.
Well....August is hot. We went in July a few years back, and the heat was awful. The crowds weren't bad at all. Although maybe a little worse than that in January of the same year. The problem with June for you is that if her district is prone to snow make up days, you can't really plan for it in advance (though if you're an 8 hour drive away, I expect you're in Alabama or Georgia or somewhere else fairly far south).
I haven't been over Spring Break since I was a teenager, so I don't really know about that. New Year's Eve was awful.
When does she go back in January? If she has a week or so after New Year's before they start, it might work.
NEXT TRIP: SoG Dec 28-Jan 4, 2015 ~ POFQ Apr 13-20, 2013 ~ CBR: Nov 7-12, 2010 ~ Doubletree Guest Suites: July 8-14, 2009 ~ AKL: Jan 4-13, 2009 ~ Off-Property: New Year's 2006-2007, Spring Break 2001, Florida Resident 1991
danceintherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:54 PM   #11
rbenn81
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by danceintherain View Post
When does she go back in January? If she has a week or so after New Year's before they start, it might work.
Next year they go back the Monday after New Years, but next year in Jan. is now out due to Christmas travel plans. Not much snow here in NC, but it has been known to snow 14 inches before. Luckily the state law here says they have to be out by Jun 10th. They start taking workdays away first then spring break if they have too.

Disdad Member #464
Me DW DD DS
Old 01-30-2013, 08:00 PM   #12
Timandalicia
Mouseketeer

Winter break for sure. Since you are veterans, if you've never been, it's a while new world.
Timandalicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:54 AM   #13
mickeyluv'r
DIS Veteran

Funny thing is....I went this past August and we happened to hit the oddball cool day. It was breezy and actually cool enough that we wore jeans! I wouldn't normally even bring long pants after April. I was glad did!

That said, if you don't like heat....then May through September is not going to be your ideal. FL does tend to cool at night, but the afternoons do get toasty.
mickeyluv'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:05 AM   #14
shademan
Earning My Ears

It stinks, but sometimes you can only go when you can go. If so, get there early, take breaks mid-day, use FASTPASSES effectively, and use daily charts like easywdw to pick the right parks for the right days.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:10 AM   #15
Kellykins1218
DIS Veteran

We went the week before Easter last year and are going the same week this year. Yes, it's crowded but as long as you go early, use EMH, and get Fastpasses it's really not that bad. Oh, and eat at off times because the food places get crazy! We didn't have any trouble getting buses and really never waited more than 10 minutes for one.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: