Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
Traveler4Life
Earning My Ears

Magnets with Family Names - any security issues?

Ok, silly question. I'm preparing my door magnets and have our names on them plus some with "xyz family" printed on them. Then I thought about the possible security issue. For example, if you are at a hotel and charge something to your room or need an extra key all someone needs is the last name and room number. With the magnets on the door this info is public. Has this ever been an issue or am I over thinking it?
Traveler4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:19 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler4Life View Post
Ok, silly question. I'm preparing my door magnets and have our names on them plus some with "xyz family" printed on them. Then I thought about the possible security issue. For example, if you are at a hotel and charge something to your room or need an extra key all someone needs is the last name and room number. With the magnets on the door this info is public. Has this ever been an issue or am I over thinking it?
As your KTTW card (used for room key and charging) has your picture embedded in it, they will know if the person trying to get a new KTTW card or trying to use said KTTW to charge something isn't the person who is supposed to have that card.

We just put first names on our magnets.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-29-2013, 01:33 PM   #3
Traveler4Life
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo

As your KTTW card (used for room key and charging) has your picture embedded in it, they will know if the person trying to get a new KTTW card or trying to use said KTTW to charge something isn't the person who is supposed to have that card.

We just put first names on our magnets.
Thanks! I'm a first time cruiser and didn't realize KTTW had pics embedded. I think I'll do first names only on the magnets too.
Traveler4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:47 PM   #4
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler4Life View Post
Thanks! I'm a first time cruiser and didn't realize KTTW had pics embedded. I think I'll do first names only on the magnets too.
I'd stick to first names only...

However - note that for example some FE post the full info on an open thread...
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:31 PM   #5
DLBDS
Loves that Sweetened Condensed Milk

I use first names only on magnets and have my last name ("The XYZ Family") on my FE. Not too bright security-wise but have had no problems as a result. I wanted to be able to use the FE on all DCL cruises no matter who I was traveling with (no first names) but wanted it personalized to deter thieves from snatching it that's why I used the last name only on it. Honestly, I'm not worried about it... for now.
May 2011 Disney Dream (9674) / Wilderness Lodge (4034 Woods View)
October 2010
Disney Wonder (6598)/Wilderness Lodge (7107 Club Level)/Animal KingdomLodge (4311 Club Level)
February 2009 Port Orleans Riverside (2404 Alligator Bayou) May 2009 Hard Rock Hotel/Swan/DIS Podcast Cruise (Disney Wonder) (6592)
September 2008 Contemporary Resort (5150 Garden Wing)
February 2007 Wilderness Lodge (7044 Club Level) June 2007 Hawthorn Suites (Off Property) October 2007 Wilderness Lodge (7048 Club Level)
Nov/Dec 2006 - Wilderness Lodge (3167 Courtyard)
DLBDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:42 PM   #6
LeslieG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLBDS View Post
I use first names only on magnets and have my lst name ("The XYZ Family") on my FE. Not too bright security-wise but have had no problems as a result. I wanted to be able to use the FE on all DCL cruises no matter who I was traveling with (no first names) but wanted it personalized to deter thieves from snatching it that's why I used the last name only on it. Honestly, I'm not worried about it... for now.
This is what I did also for same reason.
LeslieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:46 PM   #7
bahacca
Mouseketeer

The only time I will NOT put our first names on the door is when my daughters are old enough to be coming and going into the stateroom unaccompanied. Reason being a weirdo could get their names and say "Hey, Sally. I know your mom, Linda." I would hope my daughter would know if THEY don't know them steer clear, but you never know...
My girls are young and won't be able to be checked out of the kids club without our password, etc, so I'm not worried about it when they are younger.
bahacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:10 PM   #8
DahliaRW
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahacca View Post
The only time I will NOT put our first names on the door is when my daughters are old enough to be coming and going into the stateroom unaccompanied. Reason being a weirdo could get their names and say "Hey, Sally. I know your mom, Linda." I would hope my daughter would know if THEY don't know them steer clear, but you never know...
My girls are young and won't be able to be checked out of the kids club without our password, etc, so I'm not worried about it when they are younger.
This would be my concern, even with younger kids, though. Kids think if someone knows their name they know them. Some creep could totally watch our stateroom, follow us around, and wait until I have my back turned to call to one of my kids. It worries me more because I have 1dd, so it'd be really easy to figure out her name...
Walt Disney World (Port Orleans Riverside) January 25-29, 2014 (Epcot, AK, MK, Epcot, HS)
Heading back to Disneyland December 12-16th!!! Taking my nieces on their first trip to DL!!!

DahliaRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:24 PM   #9
LeslieG
DIS Veteran

Quote:

This has also crossed my mind. I am making magnets for the door, but haven't printed them yet, because I still can't decide what to put on them for names. I'm leaning towards only last name.
LeslieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:26 AM   #10
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
What a great point! Eek.

My girls are only 3 and 1 so I haven't thought about that yet. Plus my older one is just deathly afraid of strangers anyway but...great point. Will keep that as a mental note for the future.

On the other hand, my mom always taught me when I was little to have a password. She told me that if she ever had someone else pick me up, they'd have to know the password. But my DD is a space cadet hehe, she'd probably ask them: "Do you know _________, our password?"
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:48 AM   #11
kcashner
DIS Veteran

First names only on magnets.

We did the password thing too, and used the name of one of our pets as the password. We continued this thru high school....well, I guess technically, we still continue it. If kid calls home from wherever and asks me "How's XYZ doing?" that means "Mom, I need help getting out of this situation." Sometimes it is easier for a kid to say that they promised to check in at home and then ask an innocent question than to call in front of friends and say "I need you to pick me up right away." Yes, one would like to believe that a party at a friend' house is safe, but.....
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:15 AM   #12
policycobb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
First names only on magnets.

We did the password thing too, and used the name of one of our pets as the password. We continued this thru high school....well, I guess technically, we still continue it. If kid calls home from wherever and asks me "How's XYZ doing?" that means "Mom, I need help getting out of this situation." Sometimes it is easier for a kid to say that they promised to check in at home and then ask an innocent question than to call in front of friends and say "I need you to pick me up right away." Yes, one would like to believe that a party at a friend' house is safe, but.....
This is a great idea. I'll be using it when my DD is older.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: