Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 01:00 PM   #1
Sorsha
People, don't be like the chickens

Is it Monday again and no one told me??

When your smoke detectors are all hard-wired together, and something (NOT a fire... dust, dog hair, Pixie Dust??) sets one of them off, maybe even a malfunction... but you can't make the cursed things stop shrieking by using the button-pushing-doohickey in the middle... then you start to wonder if there really is something wrong.

This leads to an entertaining half-hour standing in the driveway freezing to death with the dog while the firefighters check the house out and figure out how to turn the dang alarms off. Then the firefighters inform you that all is well, but they don't know what went wrong either - try changing the batteries in all the alarms, but if they continue to go off, they may have to be replaced. Oh joy.

And - for what it is worth - my dog is not fond of Big Red Firetrucks, and he REALLY doesn't like firefighters in full turn-out gear.

"My kids' through the years at Disney parks" video!
Sorsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:20 PM   #2
Malibustyle23
DIS Veteran

We've had that problem as well. I unfortunately found out in the middle of the night when it starts once it usually continues. And one always activated the others for us. How our ds and dd ever slept through it a few different nights I'll never know.

We had to have ours replaced you should probably just go ahead and do the same to be safe. I think they've warned you.
Malibustyle23 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-29-2013, 04:54 PM   #3
Lilliputian
DIS Veteran

We had to get one replaced because of that, too. Ours started going off at 6:00 am on a day that the high was 17, so we were all standing outside in our jammies while DH looked around for a fire. We had just moved across the country for DH's work and were living in an apartment while our old house sold, so we had to wait until the maintenance worker got around to coming over that afternoon. We had figured out which one always started the process by then, since they'd been sounding for hours off and on all day, so he replaced that one, and all was well after that.
Lilliputian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:49 PM   #4
Kathi OD
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the nevermind we know what was thereRedhead
Guess what - Doesn't like the cheese soup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorsha View Post
When your smoke detectors are all hard-wired together, and something (NOT a fire... dust, dog hair, Pixie Dust??) sets one of them off, maybe even a malfunction... but you can't make the cursed things stop shrieking by using the button-pushing-doohickey in the middle... then you start to wonder if there really is something wrong.

This leads to an entertaining half-hour standing in the driveway freezing to death with the dog while the firefighters check the house out and figure out how to turn the dang alarms off. Then the firefighters inform you that all is well, but they don't know what went wrong either - try changing the batteries in all the alarms, but if they continue to go off, they may have to be replaced. Oh joy.

And - for what it is worth - my dog is not fond of Big Red Firetrucks, and he REALLY doesn't like firefighters in full turn-out gear.
The rule!!! Why do people not follow the rule??

We had the same problem...only we live in NJ and the smoke detectors started going off while we were vacationing in Idaho and a friend was staying at our house, dog sitting! She called and wanted to know how to turn them off. Ummmm....we had no clue, having bought the house just a few years ago and knowing that they were hard-wired.

When we got home, DH called the manufacturer and they told him that each unit had a life span of about 5 years. When their life span is up, they will screech as if there was a fire in the home. Well, ours were at least 7 years old, so when we got home he replaced them all. We haven't had any screeching since.

"The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles, but to irrigate deserts." -- C. S. Lewis
Kathi OD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:30 PM   #5
dwfanatic
DIS Veteran
Proud mommy of a new Disney "souvenir"!

Every time we visit my mom's house on vacation, this ALWAYS happens! She insists that it doesn't happen when we are no there. Her's talks and says "warning, warning" then it beeps...it is so annoying, and always happens at least twice during our stay (and always in the middle of the night. We don't smoke (and neither does she), but she lives alone, and maybe with the four of us there we kick up dust or something??
WDW Oct 1998 (off property), May 1999 (ASMo), May 2000(ASMo), May 2001(off property & CSR), August 2001 (ASSp), July 2002 (Off property), December 2002 (ASSp), January 2004 (POP- Cole's first trip!), August 2004 (off property and AK), March/April 2005 (POP), August 2008 (off property and BC), August 2011 (off property), August 2013 (off property) May 2014- Cruising on The Magic- adults only August 2015- B2B cruise on The Dream...with the kiddos Disneyland-- too many times to count!
dwfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: