Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Hong Kong Disneyland
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2013, 09:37 AM   #16
sweetlovin'
DIS Veteran

Overall, i think Hong Kong Disney has one of the best back drops for the castle. I loved the walkway from disneyland hotel to the parks. Everywhere else thus far (aside from.tokyo because i haven't been there has guests walk a downtown Disney with shops and kiosks. This is by far the prettiest walkway to the park. Trees, flowers, and Disney flags line the walkway with awesome fountains in the center.

My only real annoyance was the woman who decided to practice her Tai Chi on me while walking into the row at philharmagic. She was 60-65 and she was smaller than me by a good 3-4 inches, but she must have been a black belt because she knocked me back and I almost toppled my 8yo walking behind me.

I did not notice many kids jumping the line. I did notice quite a few adults cutting ahead or into a line. Overall, it happened three times in a day, so not nearly what I was prepared to deal with, but still wondering why adults feel the urge to push and shove their way through.

I loved Mystic Manor and Grizzly Gulch. The space mountain has almost no drops, but is faster than Disneyland California. Buzz lightyear my 8yo maxed the points, so I was so excited for her.

If we are in Asia again, specifically Hong Kong, we would definitely go back.

sweetlovin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:02 AM   #17
Hong Kong Disney Rob
Earning My Ears

Thank you for your report! I'm most happy that you mostly enjoyed your trip to Hong Kong Disneyland. We do have many great memories to have here!

"Head down, elbows up, never look them in the eyes, pushing is acceptable".

We look forward to see you back in Hong Kong Disneyland soon!

It's the magic at HKDL!
Hong Kong Disney Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-26-2013, 06:46 AM   #18
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Glad you had a good HKDL visit, SweetLovin'. Pity about the Tai Chi hit; but I guess it was an accident.

How was the rest of the trip?

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:14 AM   #19
sweetlovin'
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Glad you had a good HKDL visit, SweetLovin'. Pity about the Tai Chi hit; but I guess it was an accident.

How was the rest of the trip?
That was no accident. She went too far down and her friends had picked a row 1 back from me. So as i was entering she shoved me back to get into her row. Seriously, the adukts were far worse than the children as far as shoving, pushing and line cutting.

The rest of the trip so far has been fun. I'm just about 1/2 way through. Shanghai is cleaner than I expected it to be. The kids havr seen a few things they studied and a lot of people want to take picutres with them. In China you are only allowef to have 1 child. Otherwise you have to pay a tax or fine. People have been surprised to see 3 kids so they ask to take a photo with them. Singapore, after 2 children you are taxed. Philippines has no limit, but there is a huge population problem there.

We lucked out and missed the haze caused by the fires in Indonesia. So both Singapore and Maylasia were ok while we were there. My kids loved tranformers ride in universal Singapore and the Dragon in Maylasias lego land. We've never been to a Universal or legoland in the States, but 30 hours spent flying 1/2 way around the world, Universal is a must.

LOL

Still have many days in China before heading tokyo, Germany & Austria.

Thanks for asking its been such an incredible journey.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:03 PM   #20
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetlovin' View Post
That was no accident. She went too far down and her friends had picked a row 1 back from me. So as i was entering she shoved me back to get into her row. Seriously, the adukts were far worse than the children as far as shoving, pushing and line cutting.

The rest of the trip so far has been fun. I'm just about 1/2 way through. Shanghai is cleaner than I expected it to be. The kids havr seen a few things they studied and a lot of people want to take picutres with them. In China you are only allowef to have 1 child. Otherwise you have to pay a tax or fine. People have been surprised to see 3 kids so they ask to take a photo with them. Singapore, after 2 children you are taxed. Philippines has no limit, but there is a huge population problem there.

We lucked out and missed the haze caused by the fires in Indonesia. So both Singapore and Maylasia were ok while we were there. My kids loved tranformers ride in universal Singapore and the Dragon in Maylasias lego land. We've never been to a Universal or legoland in the States, but 30 hours spent flying 1/2 way around the world, Universal is a must.

LOL

Still have many days in China before heading tokyo, Germany & Austria.

Thanks for asking its been such an incredible journey.

That's a shame about the deliberate shove.

Sounds like you're having a great trip. Enjoy! You're going to be ticking off the TDL castle as well, aren't you? I'll have to keep an eye on the Japan subforum to see if you put a post up there.

And yes - lucky you for missing out on the haze.

I think you might find that there are one or two interested people in Universal Singapore; should you feel the urge to write a TR....

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Old 06-26-2013, 09:28 PM   #21
sweetlovin'
DIS Veteran

Sorry if my posts have typos. I'm only on a phone because I didn't feel like hauling a laptop around. Singapore was the favorite among most of my kids thus far. The baby liked Hong Kong the best. Singapore is incredibly clean. I have a feelung we will be back there again. Universal is smaller, we were done in 1/2 a day repeating the mummy and transformers. However, just as I explain every Disney is a unique experience, so is Universal. We got there just as the park opened and walked on to mist of the rides quickly. By noon, I was glad i had purchased the fast pass thingy for us. We were able to cut ahead for the 2nd go round of the biggr rides. Singapore has food that tastes similar to the US so it was easy to feed the kids. They had more food choices than any other theme park thus far. I'm headed out for the day, but i will try to do a full trip report when i get home.
Singapore is definitely worth a visit, even more so if you have children.

Also, we will go back to Hong Kong as well. They have another huge amusemeny park in that country as well. We didnt know about it unt we got to the Philuppines or we would have spent more time in Hong kong. it a reason to go back.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:11 PM   #22
Hong Kong Disney Rob
Earning My Ears

Yes it is called "Ocean Park" on Hong Kong Island, and this is a very popular park with all who go. They are going through another huge expansion now, the park owned by a Canadian family, has had the funding approved in the past few weeks. I must get over there as I have not visited Ocean Park in years. With Disneyland 30 minutes from my door, I end up at Disney.

Do come back to Hong Kong, you all are always welcome.
Hong Kong Disney Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:58 PM   #23
CaliBear
DIS Veteran

yay for the positive review of Singapore! I'm glad your kids enjoyed it! You really did luck out by missing the haze. It was AWFUL!! Raining right now though. If you are at all inclined towards zoos, be sure to visit the Singapore zoo if/when you come back. It is world class.

I also highly recommend Ocean Park. My husband and I had the best time there, back when we were still dating.
Resort stays: DLR Grand Californian Jan 2011, HKDL Hollywood Hotel July 2011, WDW Wilderness Lodge Jan 2012, DLR Paradise Pier and MNSSHP Oct 2012, AKL Jan 2013, HKDL Hotel and Halloween party Oct 2013

2014 Book Challenge 19/30 read
1. David and Goliath 2. The Eye of the World 3. A Firing Offense 4. Fire from Heaven 5. The Gordonston Ladies Dog Walking Club 6. Orphan Train 7. A Most Peculiar Malaysian Murder 8. The Rosie Project 9. The New Centurions 10. The Black Echo 11. The Hall of Elders Crossing 12. Secrets of the Tudor Court 13. Al Capp 14. The Witch Doctor's Wife 15. The Headhunter's Daughter 16. The Yard 17. The Dinner 18. The Magicians 19. The All-Girls Filling Station's Last Reunion 20. The Golem and the Jinni

Currently reading: The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz
CaliBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:04 AM   #24
PrincessInOz
in

Another fan of Ocean Park! Worth a visit.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:52 PM   #25
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Great to hear your reviews, sounds like a great time had by all :-) we're heading off to Singapore in November, really looking forward to it!

TRIPS TAKEN
March 2011 DLR Engagement (HoJo & Peacock Suites) TR - March 2012 HKDL Honeymoon (HKDL Hotel) TR - Feb 2013 DLP (Hotel l'Elysee) & HKDL (Hollywood Hotel) TR

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Aug/Sep 2014 DLR Half Marathon Weekend (DI&S & VRBO) PTR - 2015 Shanghai Disneyland Opening Day PTR
zanzibar138 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:19 PM   #26
sweetlovin'
DIS Veteran

Hopefully this works.

I can write a trip report in a bit, but for now, here is a video I put together of the trip.

https://plus.google.com/photos/10324...43785172559521

If it doesn't work, let me know and I'll try again.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:23 PM   #27
CaliBear
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanzibar138 View Post
Great to hear your reviews, sounds like a great time had by all :-) we're heading off to Singapore in November, really looking forward to it!
ooh, just catching this post. Hope you enjoy your time here!
Resort stays: DLR Grand Californian Jan 2011, HKDL Hollywood Hotel July 2011, WDW Wilderness Lodge Jan 2012, DLR Paradise Pier and MNSSHP Oct 2012, AKL Jan 2013, HKDL Hotel and Halloween party Oct 2013

2014 Book Challenge 19/30 read
1. David and Goliath 2. The Eye of the World 3. A Firing Offense 4. Fire from Heaven 5. The Gordonston Ladies Dog Walking Club 6. Orphan Train 7. A Most Peculiar Malaysian Murder 8. The Rosie Project 9. The New Centurions 10. The Black Echo 11. The Hall of Elders Crossing 12. Secrets of the Tudor Court 13. Al Capp 14. The Witch Doctor's Wife 15. The Headhunter's Daughter 16. The Yard 17. The Dinner 18. The Magicians 19. The All-Girls Filling Station's Last Reunion 20. The Golem and the Jinni

Currently reading: The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz
CaliBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:09 AM   #28
donkeykong91
Earning My Ears

We just got back from HKDL and although we did not experience any martial arts, we did experience the aggressive line cutting. I have a trip report that I'll post when I get my post count up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetlovin' View Post
My only real annoyance was the woman who decided to practice her Tai Chi on me while walking into the row at philharmagic. She was 60-65 and she was smaller than me by a good 3-4 inches, but she must have been a black belt because she knocked me back and I almost toppled my 8yo walking behind me.

I did not notice many kids jumping the line. I did notice quite a few adults cutting ahead or into a line. Overall, it happened three times in a day, so not nearly what I was prepared to deal with, but still wondering why adults feel the urge to push and shove their way through.
donkeykong91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:45 PM   #29
sweetlovin'
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeykong91 View Post
We just got back from HKDL and although we did not experience any martial arts, we did experience the aggressive line cutting. I have a trip report that I'll post when I get my post count up!
That is crazy!! I think the kids were still in school late June and were out on holiday for July. That could be the difference. I know I wasn't able to get on the Tea Cups ride because we were cut off by adults. My kids got on, but I got pushed out.

Did you find the aggressive shoving done more by kids or adults? My experience was adults with other adults. I did not see any line cutting by kids.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:53 PM   #30
sweetlovin'
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanzibar138 View Post
We LOVED Singapore especially how clean it is!! Our first impression was when we got off the 30 hour flight from chicago and went into the airport bathrooms. They have tablets on the bathroom wall with the custodians picture and a bathroom rating system. The bathroom was so clean!!! My daughters and I had to rate it

My middle child is considering living there.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: