Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 11:42 AM   #1
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

It's official: I'm going to Greece! (Update: short teaser Trip Report! :-) )

OK, I just heard back from Kevin, and it's official: I am now doing the May 24th Adults Only Greek Odyssey trip!

Airfare is awful, but I'll probably have to pull the trigger soon anyways. Still trying to decide if I'll come in 1 or 2 days early; it really depends on how the flights work out. Staying one post-night in Athens. I'm doing the pre- & post-nights through DCL; it just seems easier that way. I like having all my transfers included (except for the flight back to Athens from Crete at the end of the trip).

Now I have to start thinking about converting money to euros, making sure I have an adapter for Greece, and figuring out what I want to do with my pre- and post-days.

OMG! I'm going to Greece!!!!

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)

Last edited by sayhello; 06-06-2013 at 06:29 AM.
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:21 PM   #2
Bobo912
DIS Veteran

I'm so happy for you! Have a wonderful trip!
Bobo912 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-29-2013, 02:50 PM   #3
dizneekrazee
Fullfilling my bucket list, one vacation at a time....

How exciting!!!!

DLR-Many times!!WDWTBD DCLfingers crossed for 10/15
Walt Disney Family Museum 3/12Club 33 8/12, 5/13, 8/13Pixar Animation Studios 1/13Aulani 4/13Walt's Apartment 5/13
dizneekrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:01 PM   #4
paddles
Mouseketeer

I can't wait to hear how you enjoy the Greece trip! Its definitely on my bucket list. Enjoy!!
paddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:27 PM   #5
Sarabi's Cubs
DIS Veteran

Great! Time to start planning!!!

Laurie

Contemporary 1972, Fort Wilderness 7/79, WDW offsite 6/84, WDW offsite 12/89, GF 9/96, BC 11/03, Disneyland offsite 6/05, BC 4/08, YC 1/2010, POR 12/2010, Disney Magic New Year's Cruise 12/2010, DIS Exclusive Knights & Lights ABD 9/11, Easter Dream cruise 4/2012, BWV 10/2012, Kidani 4/2013, DIS Exclusive Once Upon a Fairytale ABD 9/13, Kidani 12/13, DIS Exclusive Viva Italia ABD 9/14
Sarabi's Cubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:47 PM   #6
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo912 View Post
I'm so happy for you! Have a wonderful trip!
Thanks, Bobo912.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneekrazee View Post
How exciting!!!!
I think so, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddles View Post
I can't wait to hear how you enjoy the Greece trip! Its definitely on my bucket list. Enjoy!!
It's been on my bucket list for a while. I'm still a little in shock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarabi's Cubs View Post
Great! Time to start planning!!!

Laurie
Past time to start planning! Gotta haul out my book on Greek myths & start reading up!

Sayhello

Old 01-29-2013, 09:04 PM   #7
blearbear4
Choose Wisely

Exciting!! Can't wait to hear about it and see all of your pictures! Have an amazing time!
Disneyland Paris '07
Disney Magic Mediterranean Cruise '11
Hoping for Tokyo Disney one day!
blearbear4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:49 PM   #8
SingingMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello
OK, I just heard back from Kevin, and it's official: I am now doing the May 24th Adults Only Greek Odyssey trip!

Airfare is awful, but I'll probably have to pull the trigger soon anyways. Still trying to decide if I'll come in 1 or 2 days early; it really depends on how the flights work out. Staying one post-night in Athens. I'm doing the pre- & post-nights through DCL; it just seems easier that way. I like having all my transfers included (except for the flight back to Athens from Crete at the end of the trip).

Now I have to start thinking about converting money to euros, making sure I have an adapter for Greece, and figuring out what I want to do with my pre- and post-days.

OMG! I'm going to Greece!!!!

Sayhello
How wonderful! Happy planning!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

08/76 Fort Wilderness, 09/85 off site, 03/87 off site, 10/91 POFQ, 9/96 Dixie Landings, 07/14-21/01 Disney Magic Cruise! 6/22-7/01/06 Dolphin, 6/22-30/07 Dolphin 6/24-7/02/08 Dolphin, 6/23-7/01/2009 Dolphin, FIVE-PEAT 6/2010 Dolphin! 5/14-21/12 ABD City of Knights & Lights, 1/8-16/13 Dolphin, 7/14-7/22/13 Once Upon a Fairytale, 1/2014 Dolphin, 7/2014 POFQ, 8/2014 Disney Aulani
SingingMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:11 AM   #9
DisneyCruisin'
DIS Veteran

How awesome! Can't wait to see your pics and trip report! Have a wonderful time!!!

DisneyCruisin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:35 PM   #10
2littlestitches
Mouseketeer

Wow! I'm sure Greece will be such an amazing place to see. We were originally booked on the DCL trip which included stops in Greece for this summer. Booked that cruise on opening day when we heard about Greece being included. Cancelled it just last week for a lot of reasons (long story, but traveling with extended family and we couldn't all leave town at the same time due to my grandmother's health). Now I'm left searching for a replacement trip and I keep coming up short. The Greece ABD looks so awesome! Can't wait to hear about it when you return!
December 2009: 4 Night Bahamian (New Years Eve) Cruise aboard the Disney Wonder
July 2010: 12 Night Northern European Capitals Cruise (Baltic) aboard the Disney Magic
July 2011: 7 Night Alaskan Cruise aboard the Disney Wonder
March 2014: 3 Night Bahamian Cruise aboard the Disney Dream

Too many WDW trips to count, and several Disneyland California trips.
One amazing trip to Disneyland Paris!
D23's Journey to Marceline, MO - March 2012
5 awesome nights at Aulani - June/July 2014

Best trip ever...Adventures By Disney Australia in 2008.
2littlestitches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:39 PM   #11
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2littlestitches View Post
Wow! I'm sure Greece will be such an amazing place to see. We were originally booked on the DCL trip which included stops in Greece for this summer. Booked that cruise on opening day when we heard about Greece being included. Cancelled it just last week for a lot of reasons (long story, but traveling with extended family and we couldn't all leave town at the same time due to my grandmother's health). Now I'm left searching for a replacement trip and I keep coming up short. The Greece ABD looks so awesome! Can't wait to hear about it when you return!
Thanks! Check out the Trip Reports thread at the top of this forum. There are already some great Trip Reports for the Greece ABD from this past summer.

Sayhello

Old 06-06-2013, 06:16 AM   #12
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Hey, all! I am back from Greece! What an amazing, phenomenal trip! I'm going to post just a few highlights and a couple of pictures here until I can get started on my Trip Report. I'm going to try & get to it as soon as possible, but I have house guests showing up in 2 weeks , so I'm not sure how much time I'll have to write it until then!

Our Guides were Landon and Elena! Landon was one of the Guides for my Knights & Lights trip, and it was really great seeing him again! He was just as fabulous as before! Landon only did the one Greece trip this summer; he went to Barcelona after the trip for the Med Cruise pre-cruise ABD add-on. Then he's headed to Italy for the rest of the summer to do the 2 Italy itineraries.

Elena is just amazing! Not only is she a great Guide, but there were no step-on Guides for this ABD. Elena did most of the tour commentary for the trip, with help from Landon. Her knowledge and story-telling skills are just phenomenal! Landon & Elena made a fabulous team! She said that she and another Greek Guide will be alternating, and pairing with Kirra (I think that's how she said it's spelled) as the American Guide for the rest of the season.

One thing I have to say about this ABD that's different from a lot of the ABD's I've taken is that the food is incredible on this trip! Most of our meals were in smaller Tavernas, and we were well fed in all of them! Tons of fabulous authentic Greek food! Landon kept reminding us that the meals were a Marathon, not a Sprint. They just kept bringing out more & more wonderful dishes, and *then* they'd bring out the main entree!!!! If you're looking for a culinary trip, I'd definitely suggest this one! Yumm, yumm, yumm!

And Greece itself is amazing. The sheer age and history of the place just boggles the mind. You think about Pompeii, and that it was destroyed (but preserved) by a volcano in 79 AD. Seems ancient. Then you go to Akrotiri (the Pompeii of Greece) and it was destroyed and preserved by a volcano in 1600 BC! The age is just mind-boggling! I can't imagine how many years it takes Greek kids to learn the History of Greece!

There is just a timeless beauty of the place!

Here's a few "random" pics:

Our Olympic Race at the Panathenaic Stadium in Athens!

The Parthenon on the Acropolis.

The group at the Temple of Apollo in Delphi

The Village of Oia on the Island of Santorini

The Venetian fortress on the Island of Spinalonga off of Crete.

Our fabulous Guides, Landon and Elena!

More soon!

Sayhello

Last edited by sayhello; 06-06-2013 at 06:33 AM.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:14 AM   #13
acndis
Earning My Ears

Awesome!

So glad to hear that Elena was back this year. She was amazing and no one is better than Landon. This was such a great trip. Seeing your pictures took me back. I hope you had as much fun as we did!
acndis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:09 AM   #14
SingingMom
DIS Veteran

Looks absolutely beautiful!!! How was the weather? How did you feel, both with the bronchitis and with your stomach and all that delicious food?

As someone with a delicate stomach, I always worry about eating in different settings. I always DO EAT, but sometimes I suffer later! I am hoping Germany is good to my system. Lol

Can't wait to see the rest of your pictures ! Was this "adult only"?

"SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

08/76 Fort Wilderness, 09/85 off site, 03/87 off site, 10/91 POFQ, 9/96 Dixie Landings, 07/14-21/01 Disney Magic Cruise! 6/22-7/01/06 Dolphin, 6/22-30/07 Dolphin 6/24-7/02/08 Dolphin, 6/23-7/01/2009 Dolphin, FIVE-PEAT 6/2010 Dolphin! 5/14-21/12 ABD City of Knights & Lights, 1/8-16/13 Dolphin, 7/14-7/22/13 Once Upon a Fairytale, 1/2014 Dolphin, 7/2014 POFQ, 8/2014 Disney Aulani
SingingMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:28 AM   #15
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by acndis View Post
So glad to hear that Elena was back this year. She was amazing and no one is better than Landon. This was such a great trip. Seeing your pictures took me back. I hope you had as much fun as we did!
Landon & Elena were truly spectacular! I'm pretty sure I did have as much fun as you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingingMom View Post
Looks absolutely beautiful!!! How was the weather? How did you feel, both with the bronchitis and with your stomach and all that delicious food?

As someone with a delicate stomach, I always worry about eating in different settings. I always DO EAT, but sometimes I suffer later! I am hoping Germany is good to my system. Lol

Can't wait to see the rest of your pictures ! Was this "adult only"?

"SingingMom" ....Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
The weather was, in general, really nice. We had a lot of wind on Santorini, and it was cloudy for most of the time in Oia, and it was too windy to do Kamara Beach. But mostly it was sunny and warm, but not humid. My post-day in Athens, the weather was spectacular! I think we really lucked out with the weather!

The bronchitis was a pain in the butt (along with the cough medicine) but once that was mostly out of my system, the cough wasn't *too* bad, and improved daily. My stomach was mostly OK. The tavernas were all really careful to get me food with no tomatoes or green peppers. A couple of places had to improvise, but it was all delicious. The only problem I had was the last day, flying back from Crete. Something I ate at the Farewell Dinner the night before did not agree with me, and it was such an early morning. But by mid-day the meds had kicked in, and I was fine besides that.

And yes, this was an "Adults Only" trip.

Sayhello

Last edited by sayhello; 06-06-2013 at 01:14 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: