Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 10:13 AM   #1
ekatiel
DIS Veteran

Anyone on the Magic Recently board at 3pm?

I remember reading someone's report on here that they rolled up the boarding picture stuff and mickey left, all before the 3pm boarding time. We have chosen to board at this time b/c we live near the port, and my children will be able to attend almost a full day of school before we leave. It will make me sad if they roll up the picture stuff and Mickey leaves, though . Just looking for reports from others who have boarded during the last boarding group. One would think that since 3-3:30 is an "official" boarding time, that they should still offer boarding pictures, etc. --Katie
Old 01-29-2013, 10:19 AM   #2
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Considering the fact that the entertainment staff is preparing for the muster drill and sailaway party by that time, it wouldn't surprise me if there are no characters in the terminal at that time. Most people don't wait to show up until 3:00, but arrive closer to 1:00/1:30. That said, there will be opportunities onboard for pictures starting around 5:15 the first night.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-29-2013, 10:19 AM   #3
kcashner
DIS Veteran

The characters often leave the terminal when boarding starts (like 11:45). They come out sporadically when people are waiting in the terminal, but the goal at that time it to get people onto the ship, not to have them lined up for characters. When check in and boarding is going smoothly, characters don't come out to delay the process.

All ship services, including photography, shut down in preparation for the safety drill. This shut down typically occurs at 3:30 for the 4:00 drill. I've never seen them shut down at 3, but it you arrived at 3 they may be closing by the time you have checked in and moved to the big ears.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:23 AM   #4
ekatiel
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the info, guys. I would be sadder about no boarding picture than I would about no Mickey-- I'm sure we'll have plenty of chances to meet Mickey, but you can only get one boarding photo taken . We're planning on picking our boys up from school around 1:45. We live about 35 minutes from the port, so we should be there by 2:45ish at the latest. --Katie
Old 01-29-2013, 10:25 AM   #5
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekatiel View Post
Thanks for the info, guys. I would be sadder about no boarding picture than I would about no Mickey-- I'm sure we'll have plenty of chances to meet Mickey, but you can only get one boarding photo taken . We're planning on picking our boys up from school around 1:45. We live about 35 minutes from the port, so we should be there by 2:45ish at the latest. --Katie
Must be nice....enjoy your cruise.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:48 PM   #6
StephenKay
DVC Member VWL 2001

Smile Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
My thoughts exactly, It takes a four hour car journey, then an overnight in the hotel, then a often 19 plus hour journey just to get to Orlando, then another night in a hotel, a quick 1 hour plus drive to the port just to get to the port. 35 minutes is just a Dream!!! so is FL residents rates.

Enjoy your cruise, were just jealous. lol
Old 01-29-2013, 12:52 PM   #7
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenKay View Post
My thoughts exactly, It takes a four hour car journey, then an overnight in the hotel, then a often 19 plus hour journey just to get to Orlando, then another night in a hotel, a quick 1 hour plus drive to the port just to get to the port. 35 minutes is just a Dream!!! so is FL residents rates.

I am jealous too!!! LONG flight from Maine to IAH, then shuttle to Galveston. Should have probably picked Florida, but that isn't exactly a super short trip from Maine either! (Nothing is close to Maine though! )

Enjoy your trip!!

wallawallakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:17 PM   #8
ekatiel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenKay View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallawallakids View Post
I am jealous too!!! LONG flight from Maine to IAH, then shuttle to Galveston. Should have probably picked Florida, but that isn't exactly a super short trip from Maine either! (Nothing is close to Maine though! )

Enjoy your trip!!
Y'all are cute! Move on down: http://www.ci.friendswood.tx.us/ We'd love to have you! Of course, we're losing DCL for 2014 , so maybe you should look into Orlando instead! -Katie
Old 01-29-2013, 03:21 PM   #9
Gina
Remembers the Great DIS Board Crash of '99
The planning is half the fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekatiel View Post
Y'all are cute! Move on down: http://www.ci.friendswood.tx.us/ We'd love to have you! Of course, we're losing DCL for 2014 , so maybe you should look into Orlando instead! -Katie

It's such a great area to live... And hey, at least we still have cruising, period, so close to home!!

Find me on... Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Pinterest
Gina (Me - 47) ~ DS (18) ~ DBF (47)
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:50 PM   #10
kimgregg
Earning My Ears

We got to the port about 2:30 and they were still taking boarding pictures.

Grand Princess 04/06
Rhapsody of the Seas 12/05
NCL Sun 06/03
NCL Sea 10/99
kimgregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:31 PM   #11
ekatiel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina View Post
It's such a great area to live... And hey, at least we still have cruising, period, so close to home!!
We love Friendswood, too . Great people and great schools ! --Katie

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: