Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 02:49 PM   #16
TheAviator
I don't always live dangerously, but when I do, I prefer to do it at Taco Bell

I used to be anti-facebook until I got single now I find its a really good useful tool to meet new friends. I think it also depends on how social you are, if you are into being social and meeting new people and finding old friends its great, if you are content with your circle and don't want to expand it, may not be so much. But I have even made a close new guy friend while on it that never would have happened but for facebook. We had went to school together but never hung out, we had several things in common and now are really good friends, so its nice that I have increased my real friends list too with it all.
TheAviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:01 PM   #17
WeLoveLilo05
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Dolly View Post
Yay! The old Facebook is evil thread has made a return.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHdisneylover View Post
No, no, no--it's "facebook is the devil" You really MUST get your facebook insults right
Quote:
My apologies, you are indeed correct.
I missed that thread haha

"Nothing is impossible, the word itself says "I'm Possible." ~ Audrey Hepburn

WeLoveLilo05 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-29-2013, 03:08 PM   #18
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLoveLilo05 View Post
Lately facebook has been giving me the creeps. I am "private" on there but still. A few weeks ago a girl I went to HS with was stabbed a dozen times at a bed bath and beyond. She has been on huffington post and local news, etc. The websites that have her story have DOZENS of pictures of her that they took off her FB page...IDK why but this just totally freaks me out. I guess I think to myself this girl is fighting for her life and her pictures are circulating everywhere without her knowing. At a time like that I think I would just want some privacy and to be left alone to heal. Now if your a member of a "group" on FB people can see if you read their post. They may be making this change to ALL posts soon (not just group posts).

BUT on the flip side I love FB for the fact of the local updates I get, PTO updates, Hurricane Sandy updates, Disney updates, all at my finger tips. And a few cousins that I dont see/talk to regularly.

Lately, I feel as though I have forgotten how important privacy is, IDK what to do, FB has almost become a part of my life, but I think I need to step away. Anyone else feel this way ?
Yup, my wife did. She deactivated her FB page less than 48 hours after she set it up. Said the whole thing was creepy. I have no choice, I have to have one for work......and suddenly everyone I every knew in my personal life found that page.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:51 PM   #19
jenny105
DIS Veteran

Are you talking about what happened in Middletown? I grew up in Hazlet. I couldn't believe it when I read about that.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:47 PM   #20
dreamin_disney
DIS Veteran

I only have close friends, family and 3 friends from HS. My sister and my dh cousin have everyone under the sun on their friends list. I didnt realize that if I post something and they comment their friends can see it too. If I set a picture as private what exactly does that mean...will I be the only one to see it....will just my friends be able to see it??? I want to be able to share pictures with those on my list but if my sis or dh's cousin comment on it I dont want their friends to be able to see it.

another question? one of dh's other cousins set up a private group just for her dh's side of the family and added us to it...what exactly does that mean???
Old 01-29-2013, 06:40 PM   #21
runsandjumps
DIS Veteran

I have deactivated my account a couple of times. I think privacy is none existent on there- even with settings.

It is social media after all.

The only reason I have Facebook is because otherwise I would never hear important things. Like my cousins getting married, or another is having a baby. I was obviously born in the wrong generation as I still use a phone to actually speak to people.
runsandjumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:49 PM   #22
SAT
Earning My Ears

I'm wrong generation too as well as a privacy hound. I can't understand how making a quick statement to 150 of your "closest friends" builds or maintains a relationship. I'd much rather go get coffee and sit face to face or use the phone for my long distance friends.
SAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:53 PM   #23
tekoa
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=scrapquitler;47346869]Did you know that you can deactivate your account, step away for a while and then later re-activate it if you decide that you want to do that? That might be a good thing for you to do for a while while you decide, then if you change your mind, your account is still there later.

How do you go about deactivating an account? Thank you!
tekoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:08 PM   #24
Duzzygirl
Mouseketeer

My husband things facebook is the devil. So, he doesn't have one.

I find it entertaining. So, I have one. I'm private. Unsearchable. I don't post every little thing I do. I don't even post every day. I know people I don't know can see things when people I do know like or comment on things. Hence the only posting things that I don't care if the whole world knows.

Common sense is key.
Duzzygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:08 PM   #25
DisneyMouseHouse

Help! I am a DIS Addict!

Not against FB at All!

Quote:
I am odd. I sort of get the privacy concerns, but not really. The bolded items could be found out with a trip to the courthouse decades ago. Photos could be in the paper or images on TV when I was a child. I protect things like my social security number and passwords, but in reality I think many things are MORE private now than ever before.
Are there crazy people out there who could stalk someone? Yes. Were there such crazy people before? Yes.
For me it is just not worth being more than the standard amount of cautious. Especially when looked at in comparison to the benefit I get keeping in touch with friends and family half a world away. If I lived near family and hardly ever moved maybe I would feel differently
Exactly - I mean, do you think the stuff posted on the DIS is private? Everything you post here.....names, pics, etc are still available to anyone who is on the 'net. The trick is to never post anything that you don't want to show up some day, some how, some where.

My "personal" info is available in online phone books, so, if that's the case, as long as I don't post pics that I don't want ppl to see.

I guess working all day, every day, with computers and info, can make a big difference???
"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it."

Our Travels
DisneyMouseHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:09 PM   #26
DisneyLvr55
The thing swooped down, hit me in the face with its wing, scooped up my dog, and flew away

Quote:
A few weeks ago a girl I went to HS with was stabbed a dozen times at a bed bath and beyond.

I heard about that - I had been in that Middletown BB&B just weeks before it happened too. Crazy stuff.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:53 PM   #27
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Lately facebook has been giving me the creeps. I am "private" on there but still. A few weeks ago a girl I went to HS with was stabbed a dozen times at a bed bath and beyond. She has been on huffington post and local news, etc. The websites that have her story have DOZENS of pictures of her that they took off her FB page...IDK why but this just totally freaks me out. I guess I think to myself this girl is fighting for her life and her pictures are circulating everywhere without her knowing. At a time like that I think I would just want some privacy and to be left alone to heal. Now if your a member of a "group" on FB people can see if you read their post. They may be making this change to ALL posts soon (not just group posts).

BUT on the flip side I love FB for the fact of the local updates I get, PTO updates, Hurricane Sandy updates, Disney updates, all at my finger tips. And a few cousins that I dont see/talk to regularly.

Lately, I feel as though I have forgotten how important privacy is, IDK what to do, FB has almost become a part of my life, but I think I need to step away. Anyone else feel this way ?
I've only seen a few pictures of her over and over, are you sure her family didn't give them to the news? They interviewed her husband the day she was stabbed.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:40 AM   #28
WeLoveLilo05
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny105 View Post
Are you talking about what happened in Middletown? I grew up in Hazlet. I couldn't believe it when I read about that.
Yes, its just awful, I cannot even imagine what she is going through.

[QUOTE=tekoa;47350447]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapquitler View Post
Did you know that you can deactivate your account, step away for a while and then later re-activate it if you decide that you want to do that? That might be a good thing for you to do for a while while you decide, then if you change your mind, your account is still there later.

How do you go about deactivating an account? Thank you!
I think its under "Account settings" then deactivate and then they ask you several questions why you wish to deactivate account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloelovesdisney View Post
I've only seen a few pictures of her over and over, are you sure her family didn't give them to the news? They interviewed her husband the day she was stabbed.
No, if you go on huffington post (I guess its searchable, it was a top story on AOL last week) on the bottom of each pic it says courtesy Facebook. On TV it seems to be the same 2 pictures, but huffington post had about a dozen which bothered me for some reason.

"Nothing is impossible, the word itself says "I'm Possible." ~ Audrey Hepburn

WeLoveLilo05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:28 AM   #29
ckay87
demented and sad...but social
This morning I had "you can't overlook your underwear" stuck in my head
Scared by a clapper in her teens

Quote:
Yay! The old Facebook is evil thread has made a return.
Quote:
No, no, no--it's "facebook is the devil" You really MUST get your facebook insults right
Well I love Facebook. That's right...LOVE it. Love and adore Facebook! haha!

I don't get the "if I wanted to keep in touch with my grade school friends, I would have." Maybe I'm old as dirt, but by the time we all graduated from multiple schools, held multiple jobs and moved to multiple cities, there was no physical way to keep in touch with those people without the internet (or, at the least, email). So I'm happy as a pig in poop to reunited with some of those neat people who I would not otherwise have the opportunity to know. I consider my life richer for it.

And privacy? Well I'm not posting bank account numbers. But also....who the heck wants my picture? If you want it, go for it, but I highly doubt you do. I show my very FACE in public almost all day, every day. What's a few pictures on FB of me smiling under a palm tree?

You just have to be smart about what you say. I keep it light, happy. Chat with friends, share events. I have never seen the big deal.
ckay87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: