Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 11:12 AM   #1
WeLoveLilo05
DIS Veteran

Torn with deactivating Facebook

Lately facebook has been giving me the creeps. I am "private" on there but still. A few weeks ago a girl I went to HS with was stabbed a dozen times at a bed bath and beyond. She has been on huffington post and local news, etc. The websites that have her story have DOZENS of pictures of her that they took off her FB page...IDK why but this just totally freaks me out. I guess I think to myself this girl is fighting for her life and her pictures are circulating everywhere without her knowing. At a time like that I think I would just want some privacy and to be left alone to heal. Now if your a member of a "group" on FB people can see if you read their post. They may be making this change to ALL posts soon (not just group posts).

BUT on the flip side I love FB for the fact of the local updates I get, PTO updates, Hurricane Sandy updates, Disney updates, all at my finger tips. And a few cousins that I dont see/talk to regularly.

Lately, I feel as though I have forgotten how important privacy is, IDK what to do, FB has almost become a part of my life, but I think I need to step away. Anyone else feel this way ?

"Nothing is impossible, the word itself says "I'm Possible." ~ Audrey Hepburn

WeLoveLilo05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:23 AM   #2
mom0299
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLoveLilo05 View Post
Lately facebook has been giving me the creeps. I am "private" on there but still. A few weeks ago a girl I went to HS with was stabbed a dozen times at a bed bath and beyond. She has been on huffington post and local news, etc. The websites that have her story have DOZENS of pictures of her that they took off her FB page...IDK why but this just totally freaks me out. I guess I think to myself this girl is fighting for her life and her pictures are circulating everywhere without her knowing. At a time like that I think I would just want some privacy and to be left alone to heal. Now if your a member of a "group" on FB people can see if you read their post. They may be making this change to ALL posts soon (not just group posts).

BUT on the flip side I love FB for the fact of the local updates I get, PTO updates, Hurricane Sandy updates, Disney updates, all at my finger tips. And a few cousins that I dont see/talk to regularly.

Lately, I feel as though I have forgotten how important privacy is, IDK what to do, FB has almost become a part of my life, but I think I need to step away. Anyone else feel this way ?
First, I'm so sorry to hear about the girl you went to HS with and I pray she has a full recovery.

And yes, I'm struggling with these same questions. I like FB and I get to stay in touch with a lot of people who do not live near me anymore. However, I don't think even the "private" pages are private. I have mine set so that only my friends can see my pictures and posts, but I know that there are ways around this. I don't like the idea of strangers seeing what I do day to day. I don't post a lot, but enough. DH and I are both considering deactivating our pages.

Disneymoon @ Dixie Landings - 1993 Family Trip @ CR - 2004 Family Trip @ CSR - 2006 Family Christmas Trip @ All Star Sports - 2006 New Year Grand Gathering @ Pop - 2007/2008 Family Christmas Trip @ CBR - 2010 Family Trip @ POR - 2013
mom0299 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-29-2013, 11:28 AM   #3
rgf207
DIS Veteran

People seem to forget that Facebook is still "the internet". Anything you post can be used outside of Facebook if you aren't careful

2002 - Off Site;2004 - Off Site;March 2005 - AKL;Sept 2005 - PoP, POR, ASMo;May 2006 - POR;June 2007 - BCV;June 2008 - SSR; March 2009 - SSR; August 2009 - SSR, AKV; Feb 2010 - VWL; Jun 2010 - BCV; Feb 2011 - AKV; June 2012 - BLT
rgf207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:01 PM   #4
TheAviator
I don't always live dangerously, but when I do, I prefer to do it at Taco Bell

That's why I just don't put any pictures or info on there that I don't mind the world seeing. I don't put pictures of my 5 year old baby at all. It doesn't even look like I have a baby, but that's the way I want it. I want that kept private and don't want the world to see her. I just don't see the point, to me the down side out weighs the potential upside to that. I would rather it just stay private. I will email a picture to a close friend or something but def not on facebook
TheAviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:24 PM   #5
JamesMom
DIS Veteran

Facebook creeps me out, period, lol. I am sure if I was a teen I would be all over it, but as I have matured (ha!), I have become much more private. My facebook page has my name and birthday- and that's it. My wall is baren. I have friends that I check up on, but despite being a member since 2008, I have not been able to take the plunge and expose my private life to the world wide web.
I am on classmates, but you have to pay to see stuff and it only has a handful of pictures and some christmas letter type updates, in case anyone is curious. I have a disney wedding site that's pretty easy to find, but I don't mind sharing my wedding pictures - I looked good that day, lol. But the stuff my friends post make me go "huh?" sometimes. I try not to get all big brother when I realize that somebody can look up my address, property value and marriage info with a google search based on my name. It's a crazy world.

Trip Report: May 9-15, 2010 - Mother & Son at POR w/Free QS Dinning: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post36675492

Trip Report: December 14-20, 2008 - Mother and Son (6yo) at Contemporary w/Free Dinning: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2038015
JamesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:25 PM   #6
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I deactivated my FB page over a year ago. I found out that no matter now private it's *supposed* to be, it really isn't.

Also, *too many people* forget that what they're putting on there should remain private. There are more people reading what you post than you may realize - friends of friends of friends, and I could go on and on, most of them you have never heard of.

I can do without hearing about things I'd rather not know about someone I know - this has happened and completely colored what I thought of this person. It was not what she usually showed to others, even those that knew her well.

What others do is their business, but they shouldn't put in on FB for all to read about. I'm much more contented now.

Also, there's so much *hum-drum* stuff posted - *Well, I need to iron now, I need to cook now, etc etc etc. I have better things to do. To each their own.
North of Mouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:33 PM   #7
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMom View Post
Facebook creeps me out, period, lol. I am sure if I was a teen I would be all over it, but as I have matured (ha!), I have become much more private. My facebook page has my name and birthday- and that's it. My wall is baren. I have friends that I check up on, but despite being a member since 2008, I have not been able to take the plunge and expose my private life to the world wide web.
I am on classmates, but you have to pay to see stuff and it only has a handful of pictures and some christmas letter type updates, in case anyone is curious. I have a disney wedding site that's pretty easy to find, but I don't mind sharing my wedding pictures - I looked good that day, lol. But the stuff my friends post make me go "huh?" sometimes. I try not to get all big brother when I realize that somebody can look up my address, property value and marriage info with a google search based on my name. It's a crazy world.
I am odd. I sort of get the privacy concerns, but not really. The bolded items could be found out with a trip to the courthouse decades ago. Photos could be in the paper or images on TV when I was a child. I protect things like my social security number and passwords, but in reality I think many things are MORE private now than ever before.
Are there crazy people out there who could stalk someone? Yes. Were there such crazy people before? Yes.
For me it is just not worth being more than the standard amount of cautious. Especially when looked at in comparison to the benefit I get keeping in touch with friends and family half a world away. If I lived near family and hardly ever moved maybe I would feel differently

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:35 PM   #8
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Quote:
Personally I very glad that FB was never a part of my life. this is one area where I'm seriously happy to be "old fashion".

I don't need to report every detail of my life. I don't need 60 thousand friends, the 4 good friends I have are what are important.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:03 PM   #9
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

I am so sorry about your friend. I wish her the strength to heal.

That being said, your friend has a FB account and posted those photos on the Internet, so unfortunately, those photos can be used for other purposes. I think that the media is building a profile of your friend, to show what her life was like, and that is why so many people have FB in the first place, isn't it?

Again, I wish your friend good health, Tiger

Last edited by Tiger926; 05-31-2013 at 06:49 PM.
Tiger926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:58 PM   #10
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Did you know that you can deactivate your account, step away for a while and then later re-activate it if you decide that you want to do that? That might be a good thing for you to do for a while while you decide, then if you change your mind, your account is still there later.

Your HS friend's FB must not have been locked down, otherwise the news sources wouldn't have been able to get at her pictures. If you are locked down and your privacy controls are set properly, they won't be able to see more than your profile picture and your cover picture.
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:02 PM   #11
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

I just make sure the pictures of me on FB are decent, upstanding photos that represent me well.

(It is the ones with me picking my nose that go elsewhere.)
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:04 PM   #12
NYEmomma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHdisneylover View Post
I am odd. I sort of get the privacy concerns, but not really. The bolded items could be found out with a trip to the courthouse decades ago. Photos could be in the paper or images on TV when I was a child. I protect things like my social security number and passwords, but in reality I think many things are MORE private now than ever before.
Are there crazy people out there who could stalk someone? Yes. Were there such crazy people before? Yes.
For me it is just not worth being more than the standard amount of cautious. Especially when looked at in comparison to the benefit I get keeping in touch with friends and family half a world away. If I lived near family and hardly ever moved maybe I would feel differently
My thoughts exactly.

8/82 off-site :: 12/88 off-site :: 2/93 POFQ :: 12/98 off-site :: 10/02 POFQ :: 10/11 POFQ :: 2/15 POR

NYEmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:06 PM   #13
Princess Dolly
Unfortunately it encroached the danger zone

Yay! The old Facebook is evil thread has made a return.
Princess Dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:14 PM   #14
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Dolly View Post
Yay! The old Facebook is evil thread has made a return.
No, no, no--it's "facebook is the devil" You really MUST get your facebook insults right

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:15 PM   #15
Princess Dolly
Unfortunately it encroached the danger zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHdisneylover View Post
No, no, no--it's "facebook is the devil" You really MUST get your facebook insults right
My apologies, you are indeed correct.
Princess Dolly is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: