Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 09:54 AM   #1
ChrisCastig
Earning My Ears

First time Disney cruiser

My girlfriend and myself are spending two nights at Saratoga Springs 3/12/13 and 3/13/13, and then a three night cruise to the Bahamas and Castaway Cay. I am 21 and my girlfriend is 20, she has been on a few cruises before but none since she was 14. I have been on two Norwegian ones, one in 2004 and then another in 2011 when I was a little bit older.

The one two years ago was amazing, it made me fall in love with cruises. It is easily the best vacation I've ever been on, and I have been to Las Vegas.

When we first booked the cruise I was a little concerned with the fact that it is a "Disney" cruise, but from reading this board I have realized that there will be plenty of activities for us to enjoy, and a few night clubs.

A couple questions that I do have from people that have been on the dream and been to disney.

1) Our first night at Saratoga Springs we are just going to do dinner at Downtown Disney because we do not have enough time to do a park. However the next day we are going to go to Epcot, because it is both our favorites. I love the countries. Do you think it is worth it to get a one-day hopper pass? Or save the money and spend the whole day at Epcot?

2) My Norwegian Cruise was amazing in 2011, however I am a tall guy, almost 6'6". If I had to use the toilet I would have to walk to the closest public restroom. We have an oceanview stateroom with a porthole, how are the bathrooms and shower in these rooms?

3) How is the night life on the ship? Are the night clubs fun? Also, anywhere to do kareoke? I am an awful singer but fantastic at kareoke.

4) It is a three-night cruise, we leave on 3/14 and are in the Bahamas on the 15th and then Castaway Cay on the 16th. We both agreed that we want to do one "beach day" and then one day on the ship. I've read on the boards that Nassau isn't the nicest place, but we are both afraid of being over run by little kids at Castaway Cay, is there an adult only section of CC?

5) The day we get back from the ship, our flight back to Rhode Island isn't until 9 P.M. Any ideas of what to do in Orlando to kill time? Also any hotels that will allow us to keep bags there for a relatively inexpensive rate?

Hopefully the post was coherent enough as I am currently sitting in class and trying to find every way possible to not pay attention to the lecture. Reading these boards has made me very excited but also angry at the same time because I am not leaving tomorrow!!!

Thank you to anyone who can help me, also if you are going on the same ship as us feel free to let me know, maybe we can get together for a drink on the ship.
ChrisCastig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:01 AM   #2
kcashner
DIS Veteran

1. If you have only one day, save your money. You can EASILY spend a whole day at EPCOT.

2. You didn't say which ship you are on. However, the showers are a bit small on the classic ships. If you find them too small, you can shower in the locker room area of the spa.

3. great, and yes...family and adult only events.

4. yes, Serenity Bay is the adult beach and food area on Castaway Cay. Take the tram (you'll get off the first tram and walk over to the second one).

5. Go to the "cruise meets" section of the boards to meet others sailing on the same date you have booked. And remember that the drinking age on the DCL ships is 21.....so 20 year old girlfriend won't be permitted to purchase adult beverages.

Should I put on my Mom hat and tell you to pay attention in class?
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-29-2013, 10:08 AM   #3
ChrisCastig
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
1. If you have only one day, save your money. You can EASILY spend a whole day at EPCOT.

2. You didn't say which ship you are on. However, the showers are a bit small on the classic ships. If you find them too small, you can shower in the locker room area of the spa.

3. great, and yes...family and adult only events.

4. yes, Serenity Bay is the adult beach and food area on Castaway Cay. Take the tram (you'll get off the first tram and walk over to the second one).

5. Go to the "cruise meets" section of the boards to meet others sailing on the same date you have booked. And remember that the drinking age on the DCL ships is 21.....so 20 year old girlfriend won't be permitted to purchase adult beverages.

Should I put on my Mom hat and tell you to pay attention in class?
Thank you for your help, and d'oh we are on the Dream, forgot the most important detail.

We are not crazy drinkers so it won't be that big of a deal. I am sure I will sneak her a few sips but nothing crazy.

Also, its only the second week of the semester, we aren't learning anything yet.
ChrisCastig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:20 AM   #4
bats
Enjoying Bahama Mama's

You can also take your own alcohol on board, so if there is something that your girlfriend likes, then pack it in your carry on and drink it in the room.

They do have karaoke onboard but only a handful of people get to sing in my experience as they interject each karaoke singer with 3 or 4 dance tunes, so it limts the time for the karaoke. Not a bad thing in most cases (inc mine)!

Definitely stay onboard for Nassau .. you'll need that time to explore the ship on a 3 nighter

Now, sit up and listen to your tutor!
Quality Inn International Apr 2003 - Magic Mouse Villa on Windsor Palms Apr 2006 - Hong Kong Disney Jan 2007 - Dibb villa & Disney Wonder Sept 2008 - Dibb villa for DBF's 40th Feb 2009 - Dibb villa Sept 2009 - Disneyland Paris Nov 2009 - Disneyland California Apr 2010 - Disney Magic 8 night Western Europe Jul 2010 - SSR Sept 2010 - Maiden Voyage on The Dream Jan 26th 2011 - Disney Magic Med cruise Aug 2011 - OKW Sept 2011 - AKV & Disney Dream Feb 2012 - SSR & Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean Oct 2012 - Disney Magic B2B Med Aug 2013 - Disney Magic Med May 2014 - Disney Magic WBTA & our wedding Sept 2014 Disney Magic 11 night Fjords/Iceland/Orkney Isles Jun 2015
bats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:52 AM   #5
iloverags2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCastig View Post
1) Our first night at Saratoga Springs we are just going to do dinner at Downtown Disney because we do not have enough time to do a park. However the next day we are going to go to Epcot, because it is both our favorites. I love the countries. Do you think it is worth it to get a one-day hopper pass? Or save the money and spend the whole day at Epcot?
I would personally spend the entire day at Epcot, and save the money for onboard spending!

2) My Norwegian Cruise was amazing in 2011, however I am a tall guy, almost 6'6". If I had to use the toilet I would have to walk to the closest public restroom. We have an oceanview stateroom with a porthole, how are the bathrooms and shower in these rooms?
My husband is 6'7", and while it's not the most comfortable shower, he doesn't have a problem with it either (both classic and new ships). Since the showerhead can be used as a handheld attachment as well, it makes things a bit easier. And DCL has tubs rather than a small stall. As a previous poster stated, if you are uncomfortable, you can use the spa/gym showers.

3) How is the night life on the ship? Are the night clubs fun? Also, anywhere to do kareoke? I am an awful singer but fantastic at kareoke.
To me the nightlife can be hit or miss depending on the crowd. We have always had pretty good luck though. I believe Adult Karaoke is held only once during the three-night cruises. They do have family karaoke in addition to this.

4) It is a three-night cruise, we leave on 3/14 and are in the Bahamas on the 15th and then Castaway Cay on the 16th. We both agreed that we want to do one "beach day" and then one day on the ship. I've read on the boards that Nassau isn't the nicest place, but we are both afraid of being over run by little kids at Castaway Cay, is there an adult only section of CC?
There is a wonderful adults only beach at Castaway Cay, called Serenity Bay! It even has its own BBQ area!

5) The day we get back from the ship, our flight back to Rhode Island isn't until 9 P.M. Any ideas of what to do in Orlando to kill time? Also any hotels that will allow us to keep bags there for a relatively inexpensive rate?
When we are looking for hotels for just a few hours, we typically wait until that day and then stop in (usually Courtyard by Marriott, Holiday Inn Express, etc.). If they have an available room, they will give it to you at a reduced rate. The Hyatt MCO also provides day rooms, but I find them to be a bit more pricey than my previous suggestion. Something to certainly look into though!
Hope this helps! Enjoy your cruise!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: