Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2013, 03:30 PM   #1
disneygal55
DIS Veteran

What's good...and not so good...at Biergarten?

We have not eaten at Biergarten for years. I remember when you ordered from a menu, well before the buffet option. I think that we did eat at the buffet once or twice but it's been years. This June we have a reservation for lunch and are pretty excited about the show and the fun atmosphere. What is really good? What should we stay away from? Do they serve german style hot dogs too....we have a picky eater. Do they serve pitchers of beer also or is it strictly by the glass? Since we're picking up the tab for six of us, it would be great if they had pitchers LOL!
Old 03-03-2013, 04:00 PM   #2
Angeejoe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygal55 View Post
We have not eaten at Biergarten for years. I remember when you ordered from a menu, well before the buffet option. I think that we did eat at the buffet once or twice but it's been years. This June we have a reservation for lunch and are pretty excited about the show and the fun atmosphere. What is really good? What should we stay away from? Do they serve german style hot dogs too....we have a picky eater. Do they serve pitchers of beer also or is it strictly by the glass? Since we're picking up the tab for six of us, it would be great if they had pitchers LOL!
I avoided the "head cheese" my husband pointed out to me on the buffet, which is made from animal brains which I guess is a German delicacy. No thanks!

11/2001- Honeymoon- CBR, 3/2011- BC, 2/2012- POP (Arrival Night)/YC, 5/2013- POP w/ Aunt, 10/2013-AMSU (Arrival Night)/BC/AKL (Bonus Departure Night!!), 12/2013- WL w/ Sister & Nephew
Angeejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-03-2013, 04:13 PM   #3
disneygal55
DIS Veteran

Yuck! What does head cheese look like....so I can avoid it too?!
Old 03-03-2013, 04:17 PM   #4
Angeejoe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygal55 View Post
Yuck! What does head cheese look like....so I can avoid it too?!
I think it looked like pimento loaf if I remember correctly (I've tried to block it from my memory!). DH used to be a butcher & knew what it was right away! It does not look like cheese!

11/2001- Honeymoon- CBR, 3/2011- BC, 2/2012- POP (Arrival Night)/YC, 5/2013- POP w/ Aunt, 10/2013-AMSU (Arrival Night)/BC/AKL (Bonus Departure Night!!), 12/2013- WL w/ Sister & Nephew
Old 03-03-2013, 04:36 PM   #5
disneygal55
DIS Veteran

Thank you! I just looked up pictures of it online. Nope...ugh ugh...not trying it. Hopefully everything else is pretty good.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:49 PM   #6
siskaren
DIS Veteran

You can see a lot of pictures of the buffet here:

http://www.easywdw.com/uncategorized...n-epcot-41312/

There's also pictures of the drink menu, and it doesn't look like they sell pitchers.
siskaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:54 PM   #7
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeejoe View Post
I avoided the "head cheese" my husband pointed out to me on the buffet, which is made from animal brains which I guess is a German delicacy. No thanks!
I don't think its brains (mad cow anyone) but still.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:17 PM   #8
ses1230
DIS Veteran

Biergarten has an extensive selection of cold salads that are very good. I love salads and I could make a meal of just the salads alone. They have beet salad, tomato salad, cucumber salad, etc. The roasted potatoes and chicken are also good. The only thing I disliked is the schnitzel was a little dry last time. The dessert selection is also nice, everyone loved the vanilla pudding!

The show is very fun. There is a dance floor you can wander down to if you want, the kids love this part of eating at Biergarten!

1978 CR 2006 CR 2007 OKW 2008 SSR 2009 GF 2010 BLT 2011 BLT 2012 AKV 2013 DCL - Wonder
2013 BC 2014 Pop 2014 BLT 2015 Pop 2015 BC
ses1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:31 PM   #9
fuzzlekins
Mouseketeer

The best thing on the buffet was definitely the pear dessert. Can't remember what they called it but it was kind of like a danish and delicious! (I don't give that compliment lightly either) The Black Forest dessert - meh. The cheesecake - just fine but not spectacular. As for the non-dessert food (can you tell what's always my fave ) ... The pot roast was very good. I don't remember seeing sour beef on the buffet, ironically, but I remember my Mom telling me that the sour beef was lousy when they had it so I didn't mind. The German potato salad (the warm stuff, not the cold kind w/ mayo) was pretty good. I loved the cabbage salad as well. Didn't try anything that looked too foreign or scary so I didn't get any "avoids." Our family of 3 really enjoyed Biergarten!
1/31-2/9/14
fuzzlekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:57 PM   #10
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

I love Biergarten and especially 2 desserts there. The Apple Strudel shown in the picture has a vanilla custard you can pour on it, makes it twice as good. I also love a dessert that I think is called Rose Guerte (or something similar). It's a red fruit with vanilla-type custard over it. It's in individual cups on the buffet.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:05 PM   #11
disneygal55
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all of your replies!
Old 03-03-2013, 07:45 PM   #12
MickQuinn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygal55
Thanks for all of your replies!
Pretzel rolls !!!!!
Old 03-03-2013, 09:10 PM   #13
Angeejoe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post
I don't think its brains (mad cow anyone) but still.

Form wikipedia
Head cheese or brawn is a cold cut that originated in Europe. A version pickled with vinegar is known as souse. Head cheese is not a cheese but a terrine or meat jelly made with flesh from the head of a calf or pig (sometimes a sheep or cow), and often set in aspic. The parts of the head used varies, but the brain, eyes, and ears are usually removed. The tongue, and sometimes even the feet and heart, may be included.
Head cheese may be flavored with onion, black pepper, allspice, bay leaf, salt, and vinegar. It is usually eaten cold or at room temperature as a luncheon meat. It can also be made from quality trimmings from pork and veal, adding gelatin to the stock as a binder.
Historically, meat jellies were made of the cleaned (all organs removed) head of the animal, which was simmered to produce stock, a peasant food made since the Middle Ages. When cooled, the stock congeals because of the natural gelatin found in the skull. The aspic may need additional gelatin, or more often, reduction to set properly.

GROSS!!

Old 03-04-2013, 12:27 AM   #14
Lintasare
Holy
Hello. My name is Inigo Peeptoya...you ate my father...prepare to die
Ok fess up...who killed the riddle?

Oh man I love the Biergarten. It has become a yearly tradition.

I don't think I have had anything bad there. Just get small portions, a bite or two to try. If you don't like it then no harm. If you like it you can always go back and get more.

I love the sausages both cold and hot, the potato dumplings, the spatzle, the roasted chicken and the desserts. And I always get a beer with my meal. I mean how can you go to a place with beer in the name and not get one? Unless of course you are too young, don't drink or can't drink for health reasons.

Lintasare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:10 AM   #15
alohamom
DIS Veteran

My whole family LOVES the German style meatballs that are only at lunch, probably 70% of the reason we go there everytime we are in Epcot!!!! They are not far off a regular homemade meatball or meatloaf but they just so good!
alohamom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: