Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 10:05 PM   #1
kammom18
Mouseketeer

Port Orleans or Boardwalk Villas

So I am having quite a hard time choosing. Hoping that you seasoned Dissers will assist me in my quest for the perfect hotel for our family. We are a family of 4, DH, DW, DD 9, DD 6 (ages at time of travel).

We are vacationing at the World from November 8-14th, then taking our very first cruise EVER on the Disney Dream 3 Night Bahamas. We have NEVER stayed on property before and are having a tough time choosing. I am asking for all help and advice that I can get.

We are booked in a PO room in Alligator Bayou Preferred room with the additional murphy bed. We DO NOT normally share space with our children while vacationing. We usually ONLY stay at hotels that have suites so that the hubby and I can have our own space. The rooms at PO are quite small compared to what we are used to, but are willing to do it if it means staying on property and having access to all the "Disney Extras." We were quoted a price of $3615.26 which would include our room, tickets and DDP. This is retail of course since it is so far out. We were "banking" on Disney offering Free DDP, that would save us $873.

However, I have the chance to purchase DVC points to stay in a 1 BR Villa at Boardwalk Villas and the price difference would be $109.54 with an additional savings of about $120 from not having to purchase breakfast from the counter service at PO. With the 1 BR Villa, we would have a kitchen that would allow us to eat breakfast at our villa before heading out to the parks.

Obvious differences are the overall savings from staying at PO IF they did offer Free DDP, but beyond that, everything seems to be pointing to staying at BWV. I just wonder if there is someone that has stayed at both and can provide me with insight on which would be better.

Sorry this is so long, just a major dilemna that I am trying to solve quickly.
kammom18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:11 PM   #2
AstroDad
Earning My Ears

I have stayed at POR twice with my family of 5 and although the rooms are small, we were fine and we love the resort. That said, I would be concerned that if you are used to having your own space, suddenly cramming everyone into one room will feel way smaller to you than it would to us. Personally, I think you would be happier in the Villa and although I have never stayed there, I have heard only good things about it.
Register to remove

Old 02-06-2013, 10:12 PM   #3
pigletto
DIS Veteran

I love POR and think it is an absolutely lovely resort. But I would definitely chose BWV in that scenario for the location, extra room, and kitchen. That seals it in my mind. You really could do more than breakfast in the room and save with a few lunches or snacks as well if you chose not to do the DDP.
I also really wouldn't count on free dining as there have been rumours it will be changing. I know it's more money, but BWV is wonderful and being able to walk to both Epcot and Hollywood Studios makes such a huge difference. Add in the bigger room with a door that you and dh can close? Seals the deal for me.

I still think you could have a very nice trip at POR but it sounds like you need or want the extra space.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:39 PM   #4
SiAmCrAzY
Mouseketeer

POR is very nice, but I agree with PP you may get more mileage out of a stay at BV. It looks like you will be there for the last few days of the Food & Wine Festival
Old 02-06-2013, 11:12 PM   #5
buzznina
DIS Veteran

Location: The White Sugar Beaches of the Florida Panhandle, Destin area. 7 hours away from the Magic Place.

POR is our families favorite resort, but we really like being in the same room with our DD's when we vacation. But for that great price and also based on your CAPITAL statement that you need your own space, I would definately go with BWV.

AKL-SV(2), POLY, GF(CL), CR, POFQ(3), POR(6)(RGR(2)), CSR(10), CBR, FW CABINS, BW, POP(3), ASMU(2), ASSP, ASMO and DLH
buzznina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:00 AM   #6
cvjw
DIS Veteran

We are a family of 4, who always stayed at POFQ before joining DVC. One of the biggest reasons for joining DVC was that the regular rooms were just too small for us to vacation comfortably. After buying into DVC, our first stay was in a 1 bedroom at BWV - we were blown away at all of the extra space and amenities.

For us, it would be a no-brainer - the 1 bedroom at BWV would win hands down. Be warned though - after staying in a 1 or 2 bedroom DVC villa, you will have a very hard time going back to a regular Disney hotel room.
cvjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:06 AM   #7
Julie711
DIS Veteran

We just stayed in November in a one bedroom villa at BW and loved it! We are a family of 4, myself, DH, DD(4) & DS(12)months at time of visit + mother in law joined us this trip and we had plenty of room. Enjoyed having the full kitchen to make DS bottles & meals for day, some days had lighter breakfast instead of buying out. The pool area was great, nice gift shop & dd loved the games & nightlife on the boardwalk!!
Easy walk from Epcot & HS!!

Me DH DD(6yrs)DS(2 yrs)

9/06- CBR- Honeymoon/ 4/10- CBR- 1st Family Trip/ 8/10- CBR- Family & Grandmom Visit/ 5/11- CBR/ 2/12-AKL- Kid Free Trip For My B Day!/ 11/12- BWV- 1st Christmas Visit 4/13-DL-DH Birthday Trip Kid Free/ 9/13-WLV

Julie711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:12 AM   #8
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by kammom18 View Post
So I am having quite a hard time choosing. Hoping that you seasoned Dissers will assist me in my quest for the perfect hotel for our family. We are a family of 4, DH, DW, DD 9, DD 6 (ages at time of travel).

We are vacationing at the World from November 8-14th, then taking our very first cruise EVER on the Disney Dream 3 Night Bahamas. We have NEVER stayed on property before and are having a tough time choosing. I am asking for all help and advice that I can get.

We are booked in a PO room in Alligator Bayou Preferred room with the additional murphy bed. We DO NOT normally share space with our children while vacationing. We usually ONLY stay at hotels that have suites so that the hubby and I can have our own space. The rooms at PO are quite small compared to what we are used to, but are willing to do it if it means staying on property and having access to all the "Disney Extras." We were quoted a price of $3615.26 which would include our room, tickets and DDP. This is retail of course since it is so far out. We were "banking" on Disney offering Free DDP, that would save us $873.

However, I have the chance to purchase DVC points to stay in a 1 BR Villa at Boardwalk Villas and the price difference would be $109.54 with an additional savings of about $120 from not having to purchase breakfast from the counter service at PO. With the 1 BR Villa, we would have a kitchen that would allow us to eat breakfast at our villa before heading out to the parks.

Obvious differences are the overall savings from staying at PO IF they did offer Free DDP, but beyond that, everything seems to be pointing to staying at BWV. I just wonder if there is someone that has stayed at both and can provide me with insight on which would be better.

Sorry this is so long, just a major dilemna that I am trying to solve quickly.
If you want to rent points, you need to move quick. That is Veterans Day weekend and it sells out early. Standard and boardwalk views already have a night soldout during that time period.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:29 PM   #9
kammom18
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
If you want to rent points, you need to move quick. That is Veterans Day weekend and it sells out early. Standard and boardwalk views already have a night soldout during that time period.
Thanks Debbie, I wasn't aware that was Veterans weekend. I should know that too since my hubby is a veteran.

I didn't realize that it was booked that weekend. I guess since we already have POR booked, that at least I have a back up. I love everything that POR has to offer at their resort, I was just hoping for additional space and the location of BWV is quite nice. If it doesn't work out for us to go to BWV, then IMO, it wasn't meant to be

Thanks for all the posts. I greatly appreciate it.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #10
arfisher12
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by kammom18

Sorry this is so long, just a major dilemna that I a. trying to solve quickly.
Omg ! I'm going to wdw from 9_14 of November and then on the 3 day cruise too !

Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android
arfisher12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #11
kammom18
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfisher12 View Post
Omg ! I'm going to wdw from 9_14 of November and then on the 3 day cruise too !

Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android
Well I guess I'll see you there!

We will be on the Disney Dream the 14th-17th.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:42 PM   #12
kammom18
Mouseketeer

Update

Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to provide an update. We have booked BWV. But I must say, I am a little sad too, because I was looking forward to staying at POR. If POR had a 1 Br suite, I would stay at POR for sure.

Thank you for taking the time to help me with my decision. It wasn't an easy one by any means.

Take care and have a great weekend

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: