Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 07:51 PM   #1
Aljo
Mouseketeer

Disney/Universal dilemma

I booked my trip through a travel agent. We are staying at Pop August 6 - August 12. We are going to Uni/IOA for 2 days. Staying at a Uni resort with FOTL access sounds very enticing.

I've only left a deposit with the TA. Would cancelling one night at disney be a problem? Is it practical to spend one night at Uni and then go back to Disney or not worth it?

Would Mears take our luggage from Disney to Uni or do I have to find some other mode of transportation?

Thanks for your assistance.

Will be calling the travel agent tomorrow to see what he says but I wanted to be well informed before I do so.
Aljo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:41 PM   #2
Jetta8300
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aljo View Post
I booked my trip through a travel agent. We are staying at Pop August 6 - August 12. We are going to Uni/IOA for 2 days. Staying at a Uni resort with FOTL access sounds very enticing.

I've only left a deposit with the TA. Would cancelling one night at disney be a problem? Is it practical to spend one night at Uni and then go back to Disney or not worth it?

Would Mears take our luggage from Disney to Uni or do I have to find some other mode of transportation?

Will be calling the travel agent tomorrow to see what he says but I wanted to be well informed before I do so.
I have never dealt with a travel agent before, so I have no idea if canceling one night would be a problem or not. I just wanted to point out that if you decide not to switch to a universal hotel, you can purchase express passes with your tickets which will get you to the front of the line and you don't have to stay at their resort. My husband and I did this last trip, and got on every single ride at both IOA And US in one day. We had a great time and it was really worth it. I myself would not want to deal with the hassle of switching hotels mid trip like that.
Jetta8300 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-27-2013, 09:56 PM   #3
Ofinn
DIS Veteran

Why not do a couple nights at Universal and then move over to WDW. It's never a problem cancelling nights. It's your vacation you can change and plan it anyway you want. You are way outside the window for cancellation fees. I think your TA would be more than happy to make a reservation for you at Universal. It's more commission for them. If they give you any problems I would just cancel and make the reservations yourself.

Ofinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:26 PM   #4
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
I’m a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aljo View Post

if you plan to use the Mears shuttle from the motherland to the darkside, you can not take luggage with you on the shuttle.

a backpack would be fine, a large bag also but no suitcases would be allowed.

you could use private car service which could cost $100 rt or taxi.

i do both resorts each vacation.
i start with the motherland and then switch over to the darkside resort.
i found it easier to do it that way than to switch hotels in the middle of a disney vacation.

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:56 PM   #5
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofinn View Post
Why not do a couple nights at Universal and then move over to WDW.

Except that I would start at WDW and move over to Universal. Why? Because the hotels are amazing, the pools are beautiful (and they encourage pool-hopping there), and once you get a taste of the *unlimited* hotel-based Express Pass, you won't want to go back to sad and clunky FastPass.

One night at one of the 3 current Universal resorts gives you early entrance to Wizarding World and the unlimited EP for TWO days. Check-in and check-out, from the moment you are at the front desk until the parks close the next day.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:34 AM   #6
Ofinn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post

Except that I would start at WDW and move over to Universal. Why? Because the hotels are amazing, the pools are beautiful (and they encourage pool-hopping there), and once you get a taste of the *unlimited* hotel-based Express Pass, you won't want to go back to sad and clunky FastPass.

One night at one of the 3 current Universal resorts gives you early entrance to Wizarding World and the unlimited EP for TWO days. Check-in and check-out, from the moment you are at the front desk until the parks close the next day.
We have stayed a Universal several times. I agree with you the resorts are amazing. We always do Universal first. No reason that's just the way we do it. We go from a Universal resort to a deluxe at WDW. If I was staying at a value or moderate at WDW I would definitely do Universal last. It would be a real let down going from a Universal resort to a Disney moderate or value.

Ofinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:06 AM   #7
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post

The one time we did USO first, ds13 was around 7, and had been so spoiled by not waiting in lines, ever. We started to get in line for BTMRR & he stomped his little foot and said, "But that line is 20 mins long!"

Oh the cruel reality of life.
From then on, any visit that we do both, USO is last.

I would get a private car service to take you & your luggage to your Universal hotel & I wouldn't switch back to WDW.

The big reason we prefer a room key(or the new photo card) is that it can be used multiple times per day on each ride. My kids can easily do MIB 4x in a row. With a puchased Express Pass, you are only entitiled to the Express line once per ride. We love that going to the parks is an easy walk. Kind of like BC to Epcot. We have even stayed a Uni hotels and drove to WDW parks.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:33 AM   #8
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofinn View Post
It would be a real let down going from a Universal resort to a Disney moderate or value.
It was a bit...interesting...going from a 2 bedroom at OKW to a room at Royal Pacific.

But *for us* the Express Pass at the end MORE than made up for the smaller room. Then we solved that by staying at Portofino with its bigger rooms.

Going back to RPR in October, but since we are out of points right now (and I got a screamin' deal through rundisney), we're staying at a standard room at POR for the first part of the trip. Won't be as painful, room-size-wise.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:14 AM   #9
Kimberle
WL Vet

I would stay at a US resort. They are beautiful and you will be spoiled! Just take a cab between resorts. Last month, we took a cab from BC to US (and back). Each trip was approx. $34 plus tip.
Sept 04 CR 14th fl Concierge Aug 06 Royal Pacific, Club Level Aug 07 AKL, Club Level Aug 08, POR Aug 09 Beach Club Dec 10, Xmas in Tahiti Aug 11, WL Aug 12, Hawaii Apr 13, BC July 14, HRH, CR-MK Club Level
Kimberle is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: