Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2012, 02:39 PM   #1
cadesfirsttrip
Earning My Ears

Advice needed... can this be done.

I picked my new surprise trip for Mar. 3-8, purposefully because it's supposed to be a relatively slow time with better weahter than January. We will have one day at each park, no park hoppers. We are taking our 21 year old son and our 9 year old son, both who will (and want to) ride all the major attractions.

When we went in August of 2011, we did pretty good, but missed a few things and I really want to get it all in. We didn't spend much time in any of the countries in Epcot, and didn't go on the Ellen's adventure at all. We spent no time in Innovations, other than to ride the coaster you built (can't remember the name). Also, we bypassed Duffy, not realizing that by the time we left WDW, Duffy would be Cade's most treasured item (and is still one of them).

In HS, we really had trouble planning what to do when. We only really missed the live shows (except for Lights, Camera's, Action) and we did the backlot tour. We'll skip the backlot tour this time, but we want to do everything else, including the shows (my littlest loves the live shows).

We didn't do AK at all last time, so my only experience is from about 14 years ago, and I think we were able to get everything in with time to spare.

MK was the longest day. We stayed til 2am, but we took a 4 hour break in the middle of the day. We missed Hall of Presidents, Jungle Cruise at night (saw it during the day), Tiki Room, and had horrible spot for Wishes and fireworks, so really about missed them.

Will this all be feasible? My youngest and I (he was 8 then) averaged 17 miles a day walking then, so that's not a problem.

Please give me idea's on what to do and when! We'll go to EP Monday, AK Tuesday, HS Wednesday and MK Thursday (we always start at EP and end at MK, but the other two are interchangeable).

Thanks so much in advance!
Old 12-17-2012, 03:07 PM   #2
LSUfan4444
DIS Veteran

Make sure you arrive at every park 45-60 minutes before advertised opening time and do those attractions with the longest wait times first. Don't do your favorites first.

This link should provide you with all the other info you need: http://www.easywdw.com/calendar/marc...dar/#more-9051

LSUfan4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-17-2012, 03:51 PM   #3
DavidNYC
DIS Veteran

You'll be fine! We've done many 2-4 day trips and got everything in that we really wanted to do (and most things we were able to do more than once).

MK - During the day, I'd say get fastpasses for Space Mountain & Ariel. Depending on timing (and if you want to do them) get for Pooh, Peter Pan, Splash, and BTMR. Over a full day, you should be able to get FP for many of them and some are likely to have only a 10-20 minute wait especially early and late. This past trip we walked on to Space Mountain surprisingly and Splash was only 10 minutes. With sons that age, they may not want to do Storytime with Belle which does not have FP and is likely to be 50-70 minutes.
You can probably hit things like Jungle Cruise and Pirates and HM with relatively moderate lines.

AK - easy since not too much. See Nemo and Lion King show. I like the Flights of Wonder too. Get FP for Safari and Everest during the day. Dinosaur is likely to be not too bad but in a full day, AK is easy. Timing the shows with set time is the only issue.

DHS - obviously FP for TSM first thing. Get FP for RnR, ToT, and Star Tours during the day (ToT is often low wait at slow time so may not need it). Otherwise, I don't think you'll see many long lines.

Epcot - if you want to see countries, this is the hardest to do in a day. Too much to see. You CAN hit them all but I'd just say pick a few you want to do. TT and Soarin FP are musts - both still long lines. Probably fine on everything else up front. Haven't seen lines at Sea or Space last few times.

You might want to get one of the wait time apps and see what lines are looking like the week before to get an idea of which ones you want to get your FP for and which ones the waits are likely to be lower. We just got back and found noticeably shorter lines outside of Fantasyland than our last trip (I assume due to new Fantasyland) and in Epcot TT was much higher and other rides lower. It may balance out a bit more as the novelty wears off a bit. But you should be able to hit almost everything you want in a single day in each park.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:14 AM   #4
cadesfirsttrip
Earning My Ears

Does anyone have an idea on which iphone app is best for accurate wait times? We are so excited!
Old 01-30-2013, 10:24 PM   #5
katt789
DIS Veteran

Check out touringplans easywdw, and undercovertourist
websites, and they will have "recommended parks for each day" calandars, it's in coordiance with whether there are EMH at any of the parks, what day of the week, special events, etc.

Here's how I would lay out your trip.

Day 1: arrive, head to DTD if you want and explore/shop there, be sure to check out the lego store. OR stick around hotel, and explore/relax/swim

Day 2: Epcot
-Straight to Soarin, ride, grab fast pass too if want to ride twice
-Test Track
-The Seas
-Use Soarin Fast pass
-Imagination Ride
-Livin in the Land boat ride (if wanted)
-Characters (I usually do character spot, but that's apparently in refurb right now)
-WS opens at 11, head in there, starting in Mexico (so you can get Duffy on the way in)
-Possibly take a midday break.

Day 3: DHS (easywdw has this as a green park)
-Right at rope drop, send 1 "party" over to TSM to grab fast passes
-Send one into Jedi Training to sign up DS9 if he wants, otherwise, skip this step, everyone to TSM
-Grab fast pass & ride Standby
-Head to ToT/RnR, & ride both
-Look at a TImes Guide, decide which shows are important to you, and scratch out all the ones you don't want at all, choose which times are most feasible for you and what order you'll do them in
-Take a midday break when you're done with shows
-Come back for Fantasmic

Day 4: Animal Kingdom (listed as red park, because of EMH)
-Arrive promptly at 7:40 am
-Rope drop at 8
-Straight to Everest, fast pass & ride, multiple times
-Safari
-Use EE fast pass
-Dinosaur
-FOTLK for 10:30 showing
-Nemo show
-Lunch
-By then you can re-do anything, or hit up anything you missed, and take a midday break

Day 5: MK (not reccommended, but there are EMH)
-Arrive at 7:20am, for rope drop show at 7:50, rope drop at 8:00
-Straight to FL, grab PPF fast pass
-To Enchanted Tales with Belle
-Use fast pass, do some more FL attractions

Obviously, with boys, it's okay to skip that, and my advice is to go straight to Tomorrowland, and finish everything there, then as much as you can in FL before 9am, and at 9, position yourselves right at the Frontierland rope to do the race to Splash/BTMRR, and the rest of adventureland.

It is definitely do able, especially with those AM EMH in there, MAKE SURE you utilize them, and get to the parks early, have a magical trip!!

Instagram:Katt789
Twitter: KattWy

katt789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:48 AM   #6
Tomh
DIS Veteran

I really like RideMax.

We've done Disney World enough now to have a pretty good idea of what to do in what order, but RideMax is a great way to plan out your day to fit in the most, AND, it knows the times of the shows, and will fit things around the shows for you, so it is especially useful for planning out DHS day where so much of the experience is the shows.

It is also helpful at AK where we want to fit in the Flights of Wonder, and Festival of the Lion King shows.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:47 AM   #7
amym2
DIS Veteran

I know you said you always do MK last, but if you are really concerned about fitting everything in, I'd switch your last two days. Wed. both AK and DHS are not recommended, and MK is the most recommended. Thu. AK is recommended.
amym2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:07 AM   #8
ghtx
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadesfirsttrip View Post
Does anyone have an idea on which iphone app is best for accurate wait times? We are so excited!
Try touringplans.com's Lines app. You have to pay their subscription fee (~$12) to get the wait times.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:59 AM   #9
elaine amj
DIS Veteran

Fitting EVERYTHING in each park into one day each - that's a really heavy schedule. Usually something has to give. Also, what does *everything* mean to you? To most ppl, it's all the major attractions. To me, its *EVERYTHING*. All the characters, ALL rides, including minor ones, all streetmosphere shows, etc etc. A 9 yr old and a 21 yr old means you can move faster, which helps. Hitting all your must-dos is easy with a plan.

What I do is I make a list of all the rides/attractions/shows in the park. Then I plot out the day with a full touring plan. The full list helps me to figure out my priorities and also make decisions on what we'd sooner skip. At the end, I can see what attractions I have had to leave out. I bring both lists to the parks with me and if it works out to fit in another attraction I was planning to miss, I do.

I have managed everything at AK in one day - well, almost everything as we had to skip Rafiki and the afternoon parade. (then again, we MUST ride EE at least 3 times).

DHS - this one is typically a bit harder. But if you're skipping several rides and shows, very doable. Backlot tour takes a long time, so skipping it helps a lot. Are you skipping the parade too?

Everything in Epcot in one day is about impossible. It's a huge park with a ton of walking. Doing all the rides in Future World, a little bit of time in Innoventions, and a few shows in World Showcase is doable. Many of the countries in WS have their own films/entertainment and those can eat up a lot of time.

MK - everything in 1 day. I *think* it's physically possible if you go nonstop from open to close. We spend 2 days every trip and always miss a few rides. But then again, we love multiple re-rides on our favorites.

Good luck!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: