Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 11:15 PM   #1
DisneyGirl8
Earning My Ears

Alaskan Cruise Ship Motion

Can anyone comment on what the motion was like for the Alaskan cruises? From what I understand it isn't that bad as we will be on the inside passage. I'd appreciate any insight someone can offer!
Thanks!
DisneyGirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:50 PM   #2
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

That is true for the time that you are in the Inside Passage, but you will not be in the Inside Passage for the entire cruise. There are certain parts of the cruise where DCL ventures slightly outside of the Inside passage, such as part of the path between Vancouver and Tracy Arm. Last year's itinerary was worse (when they sailed from Seattle) because they sailed the Western (outside) coast of Vancouver Island.

But *in general* it is calmer while you're actually in the Inside Passage.

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-29-2013, 12:33 AM   #3
Ljbadfan
table #71

i was on the cruise on alaska in august 2012. it was really calm water even leaving from seattle. we had one night of of rough water, on our cruise and it was only for like 3 hours that night. and that was like on the 4th night of the cruise. the sailing wasnt that bad
Old 01-29-2013, 08:36 AM   #4
cwdefouw
DVC Member since 1999

It all depends on what weather you run into. On our Disney Alaska cruise in 2011, we had unusually calm seas. However, some friends went the year before (not on Disney, but still Inside Passage) and they had 30 foot seas. Typically, summer cruises are less likely to run into heavy seas than the May and September ones, but storms can happen any time so it is really just the luck of the draw.

cwdefouw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:15 AM   #5
Momma2Jax
DIS Veteran

In sept We had a night of rolling on the bed while in the outside passage, combined with fog so thick you couldn't see off the decks, and they blew the fog horns all night.... But as soon as we were our of the open ocean, it was much calmer. It wasn't scary or anything... Just a lot of rolling,

Me DH DS 5

Momma2Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:40 AM   #6
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

On our 7/26/11 cruise it was the calmest we have ever experienced. There was no rocking and we even commented that it didn't seem like we were on a ship.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:08 PM   #7
BrennaM
Mouseketeer

August 2012 from Seattle the first 3 days were pretty rocky. Not falling out of bed, doors opening and closing, 20 foot waves rocky (like I experienced one night on the Western Cruise), but motion enough that by the third day even I was starting to feel a little off in the tummy. This of course was while we were traveling to the inside passage. The morning we hit the passage everything was smooth as glass.

One of our waiters told us a rocky trip in means beautiful weather for the rest of the trip. Amazingly enough he was right. We had the best and warmest week for that summer.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.
~Walt Disney

2004 - Port Orleans - French Quarter | 2005 - Beach Club Resort | 2008 - Grand Gathering @ Animal Kingdom Villas | 2010 - Disney Cruise - 7 Night Western Caribbean Cruise | 2012 - Disney Land & Sea - Animal Kingdom Villas & 5 day Bahama Cruise | 2012 - Disney Cruise - 7 Night Alaskan Cruise | 2013 - 7 Night Eastern Caribbean Cruise | Summer 2014 - Adventures By Disney - Ireland | Winter 2014 - Family New Years @ Animal Kingdom Villas | Summer 2015 - Disney Cruise - 12 Night Northern Europe Cruise
BrennaM is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: