Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 11:14 PM   #1
BassClarinetGirl
Earning My Ears

DCL Dinner Dress Code - Teen Girls

My name is Katy and I am 14. I am going on a 4 night Western Caribbean Disney Cruise out of Galveston this March. I am going with my parents and younger sister, who is 11.
My questions are: What exactly is Disney's dining room dress code, how strictly is it enforced, and are they more lenient with kids? My sister is a tomboy and tends to wear t-shirts and basketball shorts most of the time in warm weather. She will wear some nice jean shorts and maybe some khakis with nicer t-shirts. Will they let her into the dining room in this? If not, what should she wear so that they will let her in?(she absolutely detests skirts, are they at all avoidable?)

Also, what is appropriate for someone my age? In the summer, I tend to wear jean shorts and a few similar shorts (they are a bit short but definitely appropriate for a family environment) and either tank tops or t-shirts or other short sleeve shirts. Will they let me in wearing jean shorts? What about tank tops? Or will they expect me to wear like sundresses or something?

Finally, Disney's website mentions formal and semi-formal nights on longer cruises, but what does the "dressy" night on shorter cruises mean? Would an average church dress be appropriate for my sister? For me, I am planning to wear the dress I bought for my school's semiformal just because it's pretty and I need an excuse to wear it again. It's black and sparkly. Is that too formal for "dressy" night?

Thank you so much for your help! My mom is pretty worried about this, and answers from a Disney expert will definitely be helpful.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:23 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassClarinetGirl View Post
My name is Katy and I am 14. I am going on a 4 night Western Caribbean Disney Cruise out of Galveston this March. I am going with my parents and younger sister, who is 11.
My questions are: What exactly is Disney's dining room dress code, how strictly is it enforced, and are they more lenient with kids? My sister is a tomboy and tends to wear t-shirts and basketball shorts most of the time in warm weather. She will wear some nice jean shorts and maybe some khakis with nicer t-shirts. Will they let her into the dining room in this? If not, what should she wear so that they will let her in?(she absolutely detests skirts, are they at all avoidable?)

Also, what is appropriate for someone my age? In the summer, I tend to wear jean shorts and a few similar shorts (they are a bit short but definitely appropriate for a family environment) and either tank tops or t-shirts or other short sleeve shirts. Will they let me in wearing jean shorts? What about tank tops? Or will they expect me to wear like sundresses or something?

Finally, Disney's website mentions formal and semi-formal nights on longer cruises, but what does the "dressy" night on shorter cruises mean? Would an average church dress be appropriate for my sister? For me, I am planning to wear the dress I bought for my school's semiformal just because it's pretty and I need an excuse to wear it again. It's black and sparkly. Is that too formal for "dressy" night?

Thank you so much for your help! My mom is pretty worried about this, and answers from a Disney expert will definitely be helpful.
The DCL suggested dress code is "no shorts, tank tops, swimsuits for dinner". There are no age specifications as to who this may or may not apply to. Yes, you will see those in the dining rooms who feel "this is my vacation, noone can tell me how to dress" and, for the most part, they will not be excluded from entering the dining rooms (except for those in swim suits).

On the shorter cruises the suggested dress is "Cruise Casual" and one night is designated "Dress Up Optional or Cruise Casual". You can dress up, or not, as you wish.

I generally wear on casual nights a pair of pants, and t-shirt or blouse, and bring along a sweater or light jacket. I will point out that the air conditioning in the dining rooms (as well as the theatres) does tend toward the colder side, so keep that in mind.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-28-2013, 11:26 PM   #3
poohmomof5
DIS Veteran

Hi!

I have 3 daughters and we cruise Disney lots. Right now they are 8, 15 and 19. They have been cruising since 2002! What they usually wear are capris or sundresses. I don't think typical shorts that you would wear would be quite right. Do you think your sister would wear capris?

Khakis are always appropriate, and it does NOT need to be a dress or skirt.

Also, remember, the dining rooms are very well air conditioned, so bring sweaters and any pants (except jeans) would be just fine. Even leggings and a long shirt would probably be okay!

Good luck and enjoy your trip! You will love it!

21 day trip report LIVE from Amtrak, Disneyland & EB Repo through the Panama Canal!
poohmomof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:27 PM   #4
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohmomof5 View Post
Hi!

I have 3 daughters and we cruise Disney lots. Right now they are 8, 15 and 19. They have been cruising since 2002! What they usually wear are capris or sundresses. I don't think typical shorts that you would wear would be quite right. Do you think your sister would wear capris?

Khakis are always appropriate, and it does NOT need to be a dress or skirt.

Also, remember, the dining rooms are very well air conditioned, so bring sweaters and any pants (except jeans) would be just fine. Even leggings and a long shirt would probably be okay!

Good luck and enjoy your trip! You will love it!
You can wear jeans in the dining rooms.

Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
Old 01-28-2013, 11:27 PM   #5
kcashner
DIS Veteran

In the main dining rooms, DCL has "suggested attire," not an enforced dress code. The request is, as above, no shorts, swimwear, or tank tops (they mean the ones that look like underwear, I think), but there is no enforcement at all.

While you will see people in shorts at dinner, most young ladies wear a simple skirt or pants. Honestly, ONE "bottoms" with different tops can get you thru all 4 nights. Your dress sounds great, and a church type dress would be perfect for mom and sis. During the day, shorts and t-shirts go everywhere. You might want a sweater or jacket--I do get cold in the dining rooms and theaters sometimes.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:29 PM   #6
poohmomof5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
You can wear jeans in the dining rooms.
I had no idea, even after 90+ nights lol! My sons do wear tan jeans sometimes and we always hoped no one would notice!

21 day trip report LIVE from Amtrak, Disneyland & EB Repo through the Panama Canal!
poohmomof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:32 PM   #7
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I had no idea, even after 90+ nights lol! My sons do wear tan jeans sometimes and we always hoped no one would notice!
The only restriction on jeans is in Palo and Remy.

For the MDRs, the only suggested restrictions are "no shorts, tank tops, or swimsuits".

So, you're OK with jeans.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:39 PM   #8
MissDaisyofTexas
DIS Veteran

Honestly, we saw A LOT of people in shorts on the Dream last summer in the dining rooms. You won't look out of place in shorts, but as previous posters said, jeans are allowed, skirts/dresses are not required.
Disney Fantasy 7-night Eastern October 2014
MissDaisyofTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:43 PM   #9
mom2val
Can't wait to go back

We went on out first Disney Cruise in December. I planned exactly what each family member would wear and obsessed about it. once i got on the ship i realized i had wasted alot of energy worrying over nothing! I was on a 7 night cruise out of Galveston and except for formal and semi formal night the majority of people I saw were in very casual clothes at dinner. I even stopped making DD age 12 wear a dress after seeing how others were dressed and let her wear shorts and a tshirt instead. Our table mates son who was also 12 wore shorts and a tshirt every night- even formal and semi formal!
Old 01-28-2013, 11:51 PM   #10
Ccann
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassClarinetGirl

Your sister could dress up a pair of jeans. (Not bedazzle) but wear a nice top with jewelry make her outfit look put together. Being a Tom boy (I was one or am one) I live in athletic clothes.... I know you said no skirts has she tried golf skirts or tennis skirts something sporty? (Ones with the shorts built in and has pockets) She would be comfy but you can always wear a nice top with them to dress it up. She can go from dinner to the basketball courts in it...

Or another idea kaki shorts, tank top with a button down shirt would be fine..

For your age group sundresses, and your semi formal dress sounds cute.

Don't stress about it, I would avoid short shorts just because it gets chilly in the dinning rooms... But as long as there's no holes and your bottom is not hanging out if you bend down you will be fine.

Have a great time!
Ccann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:50 AM   #11
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
When we first cruised on DCL in 2003 they did include jeans on the list f things requested NOT to be worn in the dining rooms. Around 2006 they removed that.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:04 AM   #12
Four Swampers
Picture is Disney Wonder at Cabo San Lucas

My daughters are 12 and 14, and have cruised DCL several times. Everyone above has nicely summarized the guidelines. Let me add that your sister may find she wants to dress up a little. The elegance of the main dining rooms creates an atmosphere where a lot of people enjoy participating by "dressing up for dinner."

Also, a typical "church dress" as you mentioned above would be perfect. So would a dress that you might wear to homecoming or a standard dance at school (maybe not as revealing as some of the dresses the girls at my daughters' school wear). A prom dress or super elegant formal dress might have you feel a little overdressed, although it would be within the range of dresses worn on a formal night on a longer cruise. I doubt that you would see many "prom dress" level of dresses on your four night cruise. Probably would see a couple or a few, but not many.

On the other hand, I am a dad, so what do I know?!
Four Swampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:26 AM   #13
kristieboyd
Mouseketeer

My daughter is 17 and plans on taking a few pieces to mix & match for dinner....capris, leggings, nice tops and a few of those longer 'sweater dress" type tops to wear with leggings. I think she's planning on a sundress for semi-formal night.

Though the suggested attire is no shorts, I think you or your sister would be fine in the longer Bermuda style shorts and a nice top, but I would definitely steer clear of the shorter shorts that are popular these days for dinner services. For my younger boys, they'll be wearing nice khaki or navy shorts with a polo & Sperrys for dinner. We're doing late dining & they'll leave early for the Kid's Club and I know they would not be comfortable playing in anything more formal than that.

kristieboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:11 PM   #14
BassClarinetGirl
Earning My Ears

Wow guys, thanks for all your help! Much appreciated!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: