Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 02:31 PM   #31
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser
 
FreezinRafiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 6,113

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyFan1515 View Post
Okay, since I'm reading along with Tim, now that you've started I figured for balance I should read the story from the other point of view.......
Welcome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyFan1515 View Post
Running just for running's sake has never appealed to me, and I haven't done hardly any of it except when it is a part of other sports. I really can't envision myself taking on something like this, but I do have to say that your Couch to 5k Program piqued my interest.............
You sound exactly like me around this time last year. But we decided to go for it to try and get healthy, and what do you know - I actually like it! Not only are you working your body while out running, but you're giving your mind time to rest - nothing to think about, nothing to worry about, no distractions. I highly suggest looking into a Couch to 5k. It eases you into running so you don't get hurt or discouraged. Good Luck!
__________________
FreezinRafiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:40 PM   #32
jmwest
DIS Dad #578
A little inspirational reading for anyone who gets discouraged. YOU CAN DO IT!
 
jmwest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NW IN
Posts: 730

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
Excellent. When can we expect yours?
Not sure if I was really planning on doing one.


Did you guys get the email with your personalized post race page? I printed out both versions. I like the blue better than the red. I think this will go in my frame with the medal, shirt, and other stuff.
__________________
DDC Member #578

Me DW DD7 DD3 and DSnewborn
jmwest is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-30-2013, 05:46 PM   #33
that's nice
DDC #330

Maybe the entire internet is slowing down because of this thread
 
that's nice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 13,065

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwest

Not sure if I was really planning on doing one.

Did you guys get the email with your personalized post race page? I printed out both versions. I like the blue better than the red. I think this will go in my frame with the medal, shirt, and other stuff.
No I didn't get that email.. time to search the junk folder.
that's nice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:03 PM   #34
chloe770
Isn't it just more fun to be surprised?
Without SpongeBob I would never get anything done
 
chloe770's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Small Wonder
Posts: 1,107

Ahhh another thread to lurk on. Checking in. I will try to keep up.
__________________
chloe770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:42 PM   #35
DrMomof3
DIS Veteran
 
DrMomof3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 4,694

I'm also behind on my Disboards activity.
I finished the Goofy and had a good experience. Life fell apart right before the race with my mom passing away unexpectedly over Christmas and then I got sick the week leading up to the race. Not fun.
I walked the half marathon and finished just under 3:04 (14:01 min/mile) and then finished the full just under 5:52 (13:25 min/mile). I was satisfied with my full marathon time. I would have liked 5:30 but with the heat and humidity and a sinus infection, I was pretty happy to finish strong.
I don't know the details of your race results either so I'm eagerly following both you and Tim!

Amanda
__________________
Proud mom to DS age 10 DD age 8 DS age 6
Ran the Disney Half-Marathon 2011; Full Marathon 2012; ToT 2012; GOOFY 2013; Princess 2013; 10k and full marathon 2014
Poly 01/2008; SSR 05/2009; CR 12/2009; YC 04/2010; BCV 08/2010; Poly CL 01/2011; BLT 08/2011; Swan 10/2011; GF CL 01/2012; Vero Beach 04/2012; Cabins 06/2012; WBC 08/2012; BCV 09/2012; Poly 1/2013; HGV 02/2013; WL, Kidani, SSR, Boardwalk in 2013; BLT 2014

Half-marathon PTR BCV Trip Report Half Marathon Trip Report Aug 2011 PTR
Aug 2011 TR
Multi-Trip 2012 PTR Running and Europe, 2014-15
Disney Dream
August 2013 PTR Aug 2013 TR
DrMomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:29 PM   #36
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser
 
FreezinRafiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 6,113

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwest View Post
Not sure if I was really planning on doing one.
Just make stuff up. It's easier that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwest View Post
Did you guys get the email with your personalized post race page? I printed out both versions. I like the blue better than the red. I think this will go in my frame with the medal, shirt, and other stuff.
I did. Agree, the blue one is much better. Not going to fit in the shadow box with my shirt and medal, but it still looks pretty cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by that's nice View Post
No I didn't get that email.. time to search the junk folder.
I messaged your link to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloe770 View Post
Ahhh another thread to lurk on. Checking in. I will try to keep up.
Welcome! Lurk away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMomof3 View Post
I'm also behind on my Disboards activity.
I finished the Goofy and had a good experience. Life fell apart right before the race with my mom passing away unexpectedly over Christmas and then I got sick the week leading up to the race. Not fun.
So sorry to hear that. Glad you were still able to make it down so you could get away from that at least for a few hours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMomof3 View Post
I walked the half marathon and finished just under 3:04 (14:01 min/mile) and then finished the full just under 5:52 (13:25 min/mile). I was satisfied with my full marathon time. I would have liked 5:30 but with the heat and humidity and a sinus infection, I was pretty happy to finish strong.
I don't know the details of your race results either so I'm eagerly following both you and Tim!

Amanda
I won't spoil the ending then, but congrats on your races!
__________________
FreezinRafiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:35 PM   #37
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser
 
FreezinRafiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 6,113

The Half Marathon was on January 12, 2013. Sure, we could have flown down on Thursday the 10th or even Friday the 11th and made it all work. But with Bambi's birthday being January 9th, what's a few more days out of school for the kids in exchange for Bambi getting Casey's Corn Dog Nuggets and a Dole Whip on her birthday? Exactly. So we booked the flight for the 9th.

Madison and Evan did go to school for a couple of hours while we finished up the last minute packing. We picked them up around 10 and made it to the airport by 10:30ish. The security line was pretty long but move quick enough that we made it to the gate before our plane did.



There is a nice little pizza joint down Concourse C in Milwaukee, so we grabbed a couple of them for lunch. Unfortunately, they only sold Pepsi, but a quick stop next door at Auntie Annie's Pretzels saved us with some Diet Cokes.

The flight was pretty uneventful. Ryder slept just about the entire time, except when he was browsing SkyMall for the latest cool stuff.



Madison and Evan watched some movies on my laptop and phone and played with the toys they packed.



We met Bambi's parents at baggage claim and packed all of our stuff into and on top of their van. Which wasn't the easiest, considering it was 80° and humid and I was still wearing my Wisconsin winter clothes.

In no time we were arriving at Old Key West dropping all of our stuff into the room. A quick picture of the kids' balloons (compliments of the front desk) and a towel flower. So pretty!



In no time we were hopping on a bus to Magic Kingdom.



To our surprise, the Magic Kingdom was still all decked out in it's holiday finest. I would have assumed that it would all have been down by January 9th, but it was nice to see.

Evan, showing off his strength by holding up a Christmas Tree. The kid loves his vegetables, and it shows.



We wandered up Main Street, just taking in the atmosphere.



But it was dinner time, and we had Casey's on our mind. No, it's not exactly gourmet, but it's what we like. So there. Here's Evan's chili dog and my BBQ Slaw dog. It was OK, but the bun sucked. Next time: stick to the corn dog nuggets.



The fries were a big hit with the toothless crowd, however.



After finishing up dinner, we made a bee line over to Aloha Isle for a Birthday Dole Whip. (Please excuse the washed out iPhone picture.)



Which, with those cute little puppy dog eyes Ryder makes, quickly turned into his first Dole Whip.



After the Dole Whips, we crossed the path to Tinker Bell's meet & greet.



Right after Tinker Bell was Periwinkle, who is evidently Tinker Bell's sister or something. Madison has seen the movie and I got the "Madison Notes" version, which is basically the entire thing, but in some completely random order with a bunch of commentary mixed it.







Evan was less than pleased to have to stand around while Madison mixed and mingled with the fairies, so we let him pick the next attraction. His choice? The Jungle Cruise. Chip off the old block, there. First time we rode it at night. Interesting experience.



Unfortunately, something else started while on the boat ride - fireworks. The park was open until 9 that night, and I assumed Wishes would be at 9. Turns out, they ran MSEP at 7 and 9 and Wishes at 8. Crud. That was Bambi's 3rd birthday wish - Corn Dog Nuggets, Dole Whips and Wishes. Next time, sweetie, I promise.

Aladdin's carpets was a walk on after we got off the boat, so we did a quick spin before calling it a night and heading back to the room to crash for the night.



UP NEXT: The Race Expo, Packet Pickup, and a Jammed LA Freeway.
__________________

Last edited by FreezinRafiki; 01-30-2013 at 10:48 PM.
FreezinRafiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:51 PM   #38
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one
 
declansdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 21,040

Jungle Cruise at night is quite different, it is very cool!
__________________
Darcy
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr




declansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:52 PM   #39
that's nice
DDC #330

Maybe the entire internet is slowing down because of this thread
 
that's nice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 13,065

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
The Half Marathon was on January 12, 2013. Sure, we could have flown down on Thursday the 10th or even Friday the 9th and made it all work.
That's some calendar you have there in Wisconsin.

It's like the weeks count up and the days count down.

Quote:
But with Bambi's birthday being January 9th, what's a few more days out of school for the kids in exchange for Bambi getting Casey's Corn Dog Nuggets and a Dole Whip on her birthday? Exactly. So we booked the flight for the 9th.
Friday right?

Quote:
The security line was pretty long but move quick enough that we made it to the gate before our plane did.
It's always long when you have kids. I bet if you left them home there would of been no lines. Not sure what your house would of looked like when you got home though.

Quote:
The flight was pretty uneventful. Ryder slept just about the entire time, except when he was browsing SkyMall for the latest cool stuff.
Did he buy the 'grass' cube so the dog could pee in the grass while inside?

Quote:
We met Bambi's parents at baggage claim and packed all of our stuff into and on top of their van. Which wasn't the easiest, considering it was 80° and humid and I was still wearing my Wisconsin winter clothes.
Bad planning on your part. I wore shorts to the airport in the 20 degree temps.

Quote:
In no time we were arriving at Old Key West dropping all of our stuff into the room. A quick picture of the kids' balloons (compliments of the front desk) and a towel flower. So pretty!
Lucky you got a room right away.

Quote:
Evan, showing off his strength by holding up a Christmas Tree. The kid loves his vegetables, and it shows.
That kid is diesel!!!!!

Quote:
But it was dinner time, and we had Casey's on our mind. No, it's not exactly gourmet, but it's what we like. So there. Here's Evan's chili dog and my BBQ Slaw dog. It was OK, but the bun sucked. Next time: stick to the corn dog nuggets.
We've never eaten at Casey's. We aren't the biggest fan of hotdogs.

Quote:
After finishing up dinner, we made a bee line over to Aloha Isle for a Birthday Dole Whip. (Please excuse the washed out iPhone picture.)
Happy Birthday Bambi!!!!!!

Why is she drinking my Dole Whip?

Quote:
Which, with those cute little puppy dog eyes Ryder makes, quickly turned into his first Dole Whip.
Nice job grooming him.

Quote:
Right after Tinker Bell was Periwinkle, who is evidently Tinker Bell's sister or something. Madison has seen the movie and I got the "Madison Notes" version, which is basically the entire thing, but in some completely random order with a bunch of commentary mixed it.
....and you didn't know this?

Quote:
Evan was less than pleased to have to stand around while Madison mixed and mingled with the fairies, so we let him pick the next attraction. His choice? The Jungle Cruise. Chip off the old block, there. First time we rode it at night. Interesting experience.
Still get to see the backside of water?

Quote:
Unfortunately, something else started while on the boat ride - fireworks. The park was open until 9 that night, and I assumed Wishes would be at 9. Turns out, they ran MSEP at 7 and 9 and Wishes at 8. Crud. That was Bambi's 3rd birthday wish - Corn Dog Nuggets, Dole Whips and Wishes. Next time, sweetie, I promise.
You should be ashamed of yourself.
that's nice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:55 PM   #40
middlepat
Dis Dad Member #325
 
middlepat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Arlington Heights, IL
Posts: 1,769

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki
The Half Marathon was on January 12, 2013. Sure, we could have flown down on Thursday the 10th or even Friday the 9th and made it all work.
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki
But with Bambi's birthday being January 9th, what's a few more days out of school for the kids in exchange for Bambi getting Casey's Corn Dog Nuggets and a Dole Whip on her birthday? Exactly. So we booked the flight for the 9th.
Good move there space ranger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki
To our surprise, the Magic Kingdom was still all decked out in it's holiday finest. I would have assumed that it would all have been down by January 9th, but it was nice to see.
Score!

So what you're saying is I wasn't being lazy leaving up my lights until Jan 12. Disney did too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki
Evan was less than pleased to have to stand around while Madison mixed and mingled with the fairies, so we let him pick the next attraction. His choice? The Jungle Cruise. Chip off the old block, there. First time we rode it at night. Interesting experience.
Uh oh. Another master of the puns in the making.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki
Unfortunately, something else started while on the boat ride - fireworks. The park was open until 9 that night, and I assumed Wishes would be at 9. Turns out, they ran MSEP at 7 and 9 and Wishes at 8. Crud. That was Bambi's 3rd birthday wish - Corn Dog Nuggets, Dole Whips and Wishes. Next time, sweetie, I promise.
Too bad about the Wishes timing. Just need to try again to get the trifecta.
__________________

Me (41) DW (29+) DD (11) DD (10) DD (7)
Nov 01 ASMo, Sept 05 WL, Jan 07 POFQ, Nov 09 Poly May 13 Off-Site (Windsor Hills)
middlepat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:56 PM   #41
that's nice
DDC #330

Maybe the entire internet is slowing down because of this thread
 
that's nice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 13,065

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloe770 View Post
Ahhh another thread to lurk on. Checking in. I will try to keep up.
You can say hi every once in a while...




Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMomof3 View Post
I'm also behind on my Disboards activity.
I finished the Goofy and had a good experience. Life fell apart right before the race with my mom passing away unexpectedly over Christmas and then I got sick the week leading up to the race. Not fun.
I walked the half marathon and finished just under 3:04 (14:01 min/mile) and then finished the full just under 5:52 (13:25 min/mile). I was satisfied with my full marathon time. I would have liked 5:30 but with the heat and humidity and a sinus infection, I was pretty happy to finish strong.
I don't know the details of your race results either so I'm eagerly following both you and Tim!

Amanda
So sorry to hear about your mom.


Congrats on the runs!!!! Maybe Barry will try to talk me into doing the Goofy someday.
that's nice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:04 PM   #42
DrMomof3
DIS Veteran
 
DrMomof3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 4,694

The suspense is killing me...
Sounds like a good 1st day!!!!

Amanda
__________________
Proud mom to DS age 10 DD age 8 DS age 6
Ran the Disney Half-Marathon 2011; Full Marathon 2012; ToT 2012; GOOFY 2013; Princess 2013; 10k and full marathon 2014
Poly 01/2008; SSR 05/2009; CR 12/2009; YC 04/2010; BCV 08/2010; Poly CL 01/2011; BLT 08/2011; Swan 10/2011; GF CL 01/2012; Vero Beach 04/2012; Cabins 06/2012; WBC 08/2012; BCV 09/2012; Poly 1/2013; HGV 02/2013; WL, Kidani, SSR, Boardwalk in 2013; BLT 2014

Half-marathon PTR BCV Trip Report Half Marathon Trip Report Aug 2011 PTR
Aug 2011 TR
Multi-Trip 2012 PTR Running and Europe, 2014-15
Disney Dream
August 2013 PTR Aug 2013 TR
DrMomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:21 PM   #43
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser
 
FreezinRafiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Racine, WI
Posts: 6,113

Two pictures that someone didn't make it into the update.



I fear for the day this kid goes to college.
__________________
FreezinRafiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:32 AM   #44
Poolrat
I am alive, sometimes I wonder too!
I probably would be glued to the side
 
Poolrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 8,640

Late but here

Sorry I missed you.
Great job on the run and I look forward to hearing your side.
__________________
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL Feb '15 -AKVK
Can't wait to go back
Poolrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:59 AM   #45
KatMark
DIS Veteran
 
KatMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carol Stream, IL
Posts: 40,662

I'm here...be back to catch up
__________________
KatMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
half marathon, kids races, rundisney



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.