Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 07:07 PM   #1
hlarkinwade
Earning My Ears

First timer questions

My family will be going on a cruise this July on the Fantasy. We are all first time Disney Cruisers. A few random questions have popped up:

1) Do we need to bring beach towels for our port stops if we plan to go to a beach (other than Castaway Cay, of course?)

2) We are on the 10th floor in the center of the ship. Does this mean we are directly under the pools? Will it be noisy?

3) How do we decide what night to make dinner reservations if we don't know the schedule ahead of time?

This is just a start!
hlarkinwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:15 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlarkinwade View Post
My family will be going on a cruise this July on the Fantasy. We are all first time Disney Cruisers. A few random questions have popped up:

1) Do we need to bring beach towels for our port stops if we plan to go to a beach (other than Castaway Cay, of course?)

2) We are on the 10th floor in the center of the ship. Does this mean we are directly under the pools? Will it be noisy?

3) How do we decide what night to make dinner reservations if we don't know the schedule ahead of time?

This is just a start!
1) No. There are towels you can take as you leave the ship. Just be sure to bring them back. DCL is quite forgiving about letting guests use their towel ashore, we don't want to jeopardize this by not bringing the towels back. There are dirty towel bins when you return to the ship so you don't have to bring them all the way back to your room.

3) Guess. You can request a specific dining rotation (the order you go to the MDRs) but it's not guaranteed. I would go ahead and book Palo/Remy when you wish. If it's not compatible with the rotation you get, it's easier to change an already existing reservation than get a new one onboard.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-27-2013, 07:15 PM   #3
SnowWhite2
DIS Veteran

Welcome to the DIS and your new DCL obsession

The pool deck has towels that you can take to the port excursions but they just ask that you bring them back. They are not beach towel size but you can take however many you need. Beach towels take up so much room in your suitcase that we don't bring them. Plus beach towels can be a nice souvenir.

Not sure about the noise on deck 10, can't help you there.

For dinner reservations, are you talking about Palo the adult specialty restaurant or the main dining room (MDR)? You will get your rotation for MDR dining when you check in at the port. Palo reservations are done 75 days prior to sailing for first time cruisers. If you want to experience Palo and your rotation dining, schedule Palo opposite your MDR seating (i.e. 6pm if you have late dining and 8:30 if you have early dining)

We are a helpful bunch so ask away.

December 28, 2014 NYE Magic
November 10, 2014 Dream double-dip
June 9, 2014 Alaska Wonder
December 28, 2013 NYE Fantasy
December 29, 2012 NYE Fantasy
December 29, 2011 NYE Dream
December 26, 2009 NYE Magic
December 20, 2008 Christmas Magic
February 2, 2008 Eastern Magic
February 3, 2007 Eastern Magic
April 15, 2006 Western Magic
February 2003 Eastern Magic
SnowWhite2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:20 PM   #4
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

1/ No, towels are provided for DCL excursions and if you are going on your own just get some from the pool deck bins yourself.

2/ You will probably hear them setting up the chairs in the morning and if kids are running on deck 11 at night.

3/ At 75 days there probably won't be a wide choice of times/days available so if there is something open, book it. You can go there after you board and find out your rotation to request it be changed if needed. It is much easier to move a reservation at Palo than it is to get one after boarding.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:15 PM   #5
jenbeloco
Earning My Ears

You should click on 'staterooms' above and look for your room number. The reviews here are very honest. Even if your room is not listed, just check an adjacent room number to see what was said.

With regard to the rotation, we had the royal court (I am blanking on the name) for formal night which was nice. Also, on our cruise, the 2nd night of Animators was the one where you actually animate so do not miss that. After the first 3 nights, the food in all the restaurants is the same. There are special menus for Pirate night, Formal night and the captain's gala (semi formal nite).

The day you embark, if you buy a drink in the fancy cup, you keep the cup and it takes $ off future drinks on deck. We didn't know this on our first trip.

I agree with the previous

(Me) (DH) (DD)

Disneyland '91, '92, '13
Caribbean Beach '97
Dolphin '99
Grand Floridian '07
Bay Lake Tower (DVC) '10, '11, '14
Dream '11, '14
Fantasy '12, '14
Grand Californian '13
jenbeloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:22 PM   #6
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenbeloco View Post
You should click on 'staterooms' above and look for your room number. The reviews here are very honest. Even if your room is not listed, just check an adjacent room number to see what was said.

With regard to the rotation, we had the royal court (I am blanking on the name) for formal night which was nice. Also, on our cruise, the 2nd night of Animators was the one where you actually animate so do not miss that. After the first 3 nights, the food in all the restaurants is the same. There are special menus for Pirate night, Formal night and the captain's gala (semi formal nite).

The day you embark, if you buy a drink in the fancy cup, you keep the cup and it takes $ off future drinks on deck. We didn't know this on our first trip.

I agree with the previous
A little clarification here. The first 3 nights each MDR has it's own Signature menu. Subsequent nights the same menu will be served in each of the MDRs (Prince & Princess menu on one night; Pirate menu on Pirate night; Captain's Gala menu another night; etc).

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:31 AM   #7
the_bUg
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlarkinwade View Post

This is just a start!
In regards to number 2, when we stayed in deck 10, the noise from the above deck for us, was not an issue at all. It was certainly noticeable, but did not detract from the experience. Just the occasional muffled bump or scrape. If you're really sensitive sleepers, just download a white noise app for your phone.

It's a really nice view from that deck at a decent pricepoint (cat 5a).

It's nice to have the overhang from deck 11 to keep the sun off your verandah during the heat of the day and provide some much needed shade for cool relaxation.

One thing to keep in mind with the upper decks and staying more fore or aft, is you experience more of a sense of movement from the ship, the further you are from it's center (ie: mid, lower decks).

I was concerned about motion sickness before our cruise because I'm the type who gets dizzy on most rides/roller coasters (Star Tours almost killed me, shaking, cold sweats... ugh..) however I did not find it to be so bad. The forward to backwards motion of the ship when taking waves head on was fine. I did find, when taking waves on the side of the ship I was a little more prone to motion sickness, got some light headedness, but if I were to get up and move around and not dwell on it, the symptoms would go away.

During the pirate party, we were taking waves on the side of the ship, and I could not get the thought out of my head that with ALL the people up on decks 11 + 12... and the boat taking waves on the side, that it would begin to swing like a pendulum, gathering moment until we capsize.... but that's just how my neurotic mind works.
the_bUg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:29 PM   #8
hlarkinwade
Earning My Ears

Thanks!!

Thank you for the advice, details, and links! You certainly are a helpful bunch! I will undoubtedly be back with more questions..... stay tuned.
hlarkinwade is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: