Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 01:56 PM   #31
dogluva
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam81
I think the students should reverse the rolls and keep track of the teachers. every time a teacher has to leave to go to the bathroom they are deducted $20 from their paycheck. That would even things out.
Yes didn't take long for the teacher bashing. I was waiting for it..

Just so you know, teachers never get a chance to use the bathroom-you just can't get up and leave a class alone. Unlike other professions were you go when you have to.
dogluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:03 PM   #32
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

Things like this IRK me. The time to go to the bathroom is when you have to go. I understand the frequent escapees- the ones who ask to use the bathroom so they can get out of doing their work. But the teacher should know who those kids are. If your son truly has to go, and is not trying to escape- then he should be allowed to go.

Maybe he didn't have to go at lunch. Maybe he doesn't have to do a #1, but a #2. You can't schedule those-

I think if your son can't handle it on his own at this point you should step in. Contact the teacher and ask if he has been avoiding doing his work by asking to use the bathroom. If the answer is no- then he should be allowed to use it when he needs it.

ETA: I am a teacher. I understand what teachers do. But I also have issues with things like "you can't use the bathroom", or "one of you was talking, so you all have to have a silent lunch", etc.
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP

Last edited by marcyinPA; 01-29-2013 at 02:33 PM.
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-29-2013, 02:09 PM   #33
torinsmom
I have someone coming to scoop
I don't know how a man could wear them

As a teacher, one of the mandatory trainings we have to attend each year talks about things we can and cannot do as far as punishment. We are told we cannot deny a child if they need to use the bathroom. Since I am not inside a child's body, I don't KNOW if they need to go. I may ask if the child can hold it for a minute, but if they say no, I let them go. It's not an issue if we are in the classroom, as we have a bathroom there and the kids go when they need to. If we are in the cafeteria or on the playground, they have to ask. Some kids can hold it and some kids can't. My kids are 4-6, and they know the magic word to get to go right then and that is....POOP!
August 3-11, 2008--Pop Century Grand Gathering
July 6-13, 2009--Universal Studios
June 16-25 2010--Universal AND Disney for 10 days (Emerald Island)
August 10-20 2011--Universal and Disney(Indian Creek)
July 6-14 2012--Universal and Disney--doing YES again!
July 14-21 2013--Universal and Disney with family
torinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:13 PM   #34
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by torinsmom View Post
My kids are 4-6, and they know the magic word to get to go right then and that is....POOP!
So funny! I teach 2's, but several of them are potty trained. The other end of the spectrum from what the OP is going through is that when I see "the signs"- I rush those little ones into the bathroom ASAP! No waiting, no holding, no questions asked!
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:16 PM   #35
DisneyCrazyMomma
DIS Veteran

I'm a daycare provider so my job is different than being a classroom teacher. However, I believe that if a kid has to go, they should go, because honestly, if they have to go bad enough to ask mid-class, they are going to focus on needing to go, vs. the lesson anyway. Of course, you have your frequent offenders, but I think those should be dealt with individually, and not cause the rest of the class to be "punished" - FWIW - I respect teachers. I can handle the little ones, but the older ones, I don't think I could do it.

lots of miles each way to the mouse!

2009 room at CBR, 2010 room at CBR, 2011 Wilderness Lodge and three trips as a kid all offsite.
DisneyCrazyMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:17 PM   #36
I Love Pluto
DIS Veteran
I guess that makes me a kiddie song expert.

Spring of 3rd grade -- my son asked to go to the nurse. He had never gone to the nurse's office all year - ever. His teacher would not let him visit the nurse, even though he had asked politely - twice.

The THIRD time this poor 8-year-old asked to see the nurse - just as his teacher was saying "no" again - he vomited all over her desk & books.

She deserved that! The poor kid asked politely THREE times!
Old 01-29-2013, 02:44 PM   #37
Sparkly

Then a bunch of people started commenting on it
I wondered if people really lived there and got to watch them every night

I remember our primary school teachers each year telling us that if one of us had to puke, just go! They were usually good about letting us go to the bathroom if needed.

In secondary school, they were meaner, and the bathrooms were disgusting! I often held it until the end of the day unless I was desperate. Goodness knows how I managed it.

Nov 2003, Feb 2005,Aug 2006, Apr 2008, Feb 2011, Feb 2012, Feb 2013!, Feb 2014, March 2015
Trip reports! :: Feb 2012 TR ~ PTR ~ No Faith in Google Maps, Trust and Pixie Dust! ~ Ohana Means Family, Family Means Dad is Left Behind For A Girly Trip!

Sparkly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:47 PM   #38
dogluva
DIS Veteran

Did they use the word "puke"? I don't allow that word in my class or in my house.
dogluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:15 PM   #39
Kitty 34
Hums in her sleep, but never when she's awake
I only raise tomatos for those cute caterpillars... but I won't go near a tomato
Never underestimate the TF!!!

I have subbed 30 yrs and have usually always let a child go to the bathroom. However,in Junior High and HS......they only can go one at a time. Sometimes, if I'm ready to teach a lesson or in the middle of a lesson, I will ask the child if he/she can wait a few. If they say no they usually really have to go bad. Many, over the years, say they can wait and go back to their work, no problem.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:14 PM   #40
meliss8599
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam81 View Post
I think the students should reverse the rolls and keep track of the teachers. every time a teacher has to leave to go to the bathroom they are deducted $20 from their paycheck. That would even things out.
In our district, students are NEVER allowed to be alone without adult supervision. There are times I have to use the washroom so bad that my eyes are literally watering, but I cannot leave my students unattended. On most days, there are no other teachers near me on their planning period and I must suffer through it.

Teaching is not a profession where you can go to the bathroom whenever you please. I was surprised to read that that is the case in your area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogluva View Post
Yes didn't take long for the teacher bashing. I was waiting for it..

Just so you know, teachers never get a chance to use the bathroom-you just can't get up and leave a class alone. Unlike other professions were you go when you have to.
Agreed.
meliss8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:35 PM   #41
DisneyATlast
Mouseketeer

I used to teach elementary school kids (who are not as good at controlling their bladder) and never had an issue with them needing to go to the bathroom all the time. That could be because young kids tend to listen to "authority figures" more than older kids so when there was a bathroom break and they were told to try to go to the bathroom, that's what they would do.

I suspect that older kids who aren't chaperoned to the bathroom for a break would rather spend their time socializing in the hallway instead of using the bathroom.

I had a bathroom pass that hung on the wall which was actually a string tied to a big plastic key. There was only one. If it was hanging up then it meant nobody was using it and it was okay to take it and go to the bathroom. That way no 2 students were out of the room at the same time. Being as though the little kids didn't need to socialize in the hallways between classes, it really didn't get abused. If there was a kid who was going every single day then obviously it would've been addressed, but it just didn't happen.

Typically, there's enough time between classes or lunch or "related arts" to go to the bathroom. If an older kid (or even elementary school kid) is having an issue with needing to go to the bathroom so much during class that it's a problem, then it's either a medical or behavior problem. I would tell my kid to try to use the bathroom between classes or whatever designated time they're supposed to go (whether they think they can or not). Only after they've REALLY done that and still had a problem would I question the teacher. I'd be more concerned about why my child was needing to use the bathroom so urgently every day. I know when I was a kid, there were times I'd wait until I was about to burst before I really felt like I needed to go. As I got older, I realized if I sat down and tried then I could actually go most of the time.
DisneyATlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:44 PM   #42
Sparkly

Then a bunch of people started commenting on it
I wondered if people really lived there and got to watch them every night

Quote:
Did they use the word "puke"? I don't allow that word in my class or in my house.
They actually used "If you're going to be sick, just go." Being sick as in puking.

Nov 2003, Feb 2005,Aug 2006, Apr 2008, Feb 2011, Feb 2012, Feb 2013!, Feb 2014, March 2015
Trip reports! :: Feb 2012 TR ~ PTR ~ No Faith in Google Maps, Trust and Pixie Dust! ~ Ohana Means Family, Family Means Dad is Left Behind For A Girly Trip!

Sparkly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:51 PM   #43
Mickey'snewestfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam81 View Post
Trust me when I say there are times when I'd have happily paid $20 to go to the bathroom. I used to work in a school where teachers covered their own classes for lunch and recess. One year my kids had the last specials, 6 hours after school started. I knew better than to drink much at breakfast or during the school day, but sometimes you just have to go change a tampon.

I actually think that one of the reasons why some teachers, and I think it's a small subset of the profession, are so stingy with the bathroom breaks is that they've been conditioned to think that it's somehow OK to deny someone a bathroom break.

I also have to say that I'm surprised that there are schools that have "bathroom breaks" in elementary school. My school does them with the 3 year olds, and with the 4's and K's during the first few weeks, but beyond that we don't take them en masse, and certainly not in the upper elementary grades. Kids go when they need to go, with reasonable limits, IMO, such as not during mini lessons unless it's an emergency (mini lessons last about 10 - 15 minutes at the start of each class), not during fire drills, and no more than 2 kids of the same gender out of a class to use the bathroom at a time.
Mickey'snewestfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:23 PM   #44
#1hoosierfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogluva
Just curious? What is wrong with the word puke?
March 2012 - CBR
October 2011 (wine and dine half-marathon)
March 2011, June 2010
#1hoosierfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:54 PM   #45
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1hoosierfan View Post
Just curious? What is wrong with the word puke?
I too would like to know why they cant say puke

I volunteer at my kids school a lot, I have all my clearances. I was across from DS10's classroom emptying communication folders. His teacher saw me and motioned me over. She asked me to do her a huge favor and watch her classroom while she used the restroom. Kids were taking a test so I said sure. She was gone 10 minutes if that. She then came back, thanked me profusely, she was dealing with a UTI, was on antibiotics but she was desparate. I was glad I was there to help her.

In elementary school K-8, the kids go at break 10:30ish, they can go at lunch. Most teachers wil let them go, one at a time, but most ask if they can wait until the end of class. Some say yes, others say no and they let them go. DS10 when he was in 2nd grade was becoming a frequent flier, he would leave right at the beg of the instructions, so when he got back, she would have to repeat them to him. She called me to ask if there was a medical reason. I said not that I was aware. We both talked to him and it stopped. He needed to be told to wait. He stopped asking.

In HS, DS15 gets a break period, the whole school, for 15 minutes, sometime around 10ish. Than they also could go at lunch.
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Mkrop is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: