Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 10:40 PM   #16
shortbun
Peacenik

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC7179 View Post
I let them go....but I also have kids that go every day. Annoying and a waste of their class time!
That just means their body schedule is in sync with your class. Talk to them about going at the beginning of the class while other kids are getting settled.
I'm amazed that all these kids use the bathroom at school. My son's friends-boys and girls-were talking Saturday night about how they all wait till after school. I have no idea how they do it.

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:47 PM   #17
lilmrsellis
Wishing upon a star...

I went to a school with 1800 students (about a mile to walk from one end to the other) and only 10 minutes between classes. If I could use the bathroom 2-3 times per day, no one really has excuse. Granted, I had very little time to socialize with my friends, but I also didn't want to pee my pants, lol!

Last edited by lilmrsellis; 01-28-2013 at 10:54 PM.
lilmrsellis is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-28-2013, 10:55 PM   #18
4luv2cdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydee6 View Post
I think that it's absurd for a kid to not be allowed to use the bathroom in class. I can see that if a student is found to be abusing bathroom privileges, then it should be taken away for that PARTICULAR student. When you gotta go, you gotta go.

As for passing periods or lunch, I feel like there is generally not enough time and kids are too worried about being late for class and don't want to risk it.

Sorry OP. I'm not a teacher, just a parent. It really bothers me when kids aren't allowed to go to the bathroom. One of my DD's used to get a pass during her lunch period to go to the bathroom. She almost never ate more than a few bites of her lunch and was always starving by the end of the day. Now, she just barely has anything to drink until after school so she can make it 8-9 hours without going. Ticks me off.

My other DD was waived back to her seat on her way over to the teacher trying to ask to go to the nurse. She threw up on her way back to her seat. She has never had a problem being excused from the classroom for any reason since. Word must get around!
11/2009 - CBR - back again for Thanksgiving! ~ 3/2011 - POP - Spring Break ~ 11/2013 - POR - Thanksgiving - Who's coming with us?!
4luv2cdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:02 PM   #19
4luv2cdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmrsellis View Post
I went to a school with 1800 students (about a mile to walk from one end to the other) and only 10 minutes between classes. If I could use the bathroom 2-3 times per day, no one really has excuse. Granted, I had very little time to socialize with my friends, but I also didn't want to pee my pants, lol!
Our middle school has 1200-1400 students and the high school has 2400 or so students. Pretty big schools. Middle school students have 4 minute passing periods and HS students have 6 minutes. And they each get about 22 minutes for lunch.
11/2009 - CBR - back again for Thanksgiving! ~ 3/2011 - POP - Spring Break ~ 11/2013 - POR - Thanksgiving - Who's coming with us?!
4luv2cdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:50 AM   #20
SandrA9810
DIS Veteran

When I was in High School, the bathrooms were always gross that no one wanted to use them.

If there were specific rules set up at the beginning of the year, less students used the bathroom during that period, like a big hall pass that hung by the door. But for those that just gave a yes/no when some one raises a hand, every one had to go at the same time.

Most teacher seem to give bigger reprimands for showing up late to class, even if they had to go to the bathroom. It was easier to ask during class, than have the teacher ignore you when you tell them why you were late and possibly get in trouble.
SandrA9810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:59 AM   #21
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

I've always told either of my kids that if they ever have to use the bathroom for whatever reason (pee, vomit, etc) and they can't wait to ask the teacher (or teacher says no) to get up and leave.

DD is a major rule-follower though and I don't see her disobeying the teacher. I honestly think DS16 holds it all day, even though the restrooms are spotless and they can go anytime they want during the day.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:14 AM   #22
afnaechiquita
DIS Veteran

I'm not a teacher or a parent but this thread reminds me of when I had a doctor's note following a medical issue that stated my teachers were to let me go when I had to go, and one teacher in particular would never, ever let me go. I eventually got switched out of his class. He was a nut.

I really like the idea a PP said they use in their class with the six times/subject and using tickets if they need to go more often. I'm not sure how well that would work telling the teacher "here's an idea for you to be better" though?
WDW (off-site) '90 - Caribbean Beach '07 - French Quarter '08 - Riverside '11 - Riverside '12 - Tokyo DisneySea '12 (one-post quick TR here!) - DLR (off-site) '13 - Grand Californian '14 (presidential suite tour here!) - Yacht Club '14
Princess Half Marathoner '11 - '12 - GSC '14 for runGKTW! - training for DLH '14 for SOSC!

afnaechiquita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:46 AM   #23
SpecialK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Pluto View Post
Retired teacher - I never had an issue with bathroom use. I had a sign-out sheet & when the student returned, they crossed their name out. I never "checked it" to see how often anyone was using the bathroom. The signout was so that I would know if the student was out of the room at the time of a fire drill, etc.

I think making issues out of bathroom use creates problems. If the students can quietly get up & go to the bathroom without disruption - why not? Using the bathroom IS normal.
I agree. I taught jr. high for fifteen years, and I never had an issue with bathroom breaks. Before a test, I made a blanket statement to "go now" because once the test was out it was emergency only.

Sometimes kids really have to go; sometimes they just need a few minutes to themselves. My only rule was one at a time.
SpecialK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:47 AM   #24
PollyannaMom
I was a click-clack champ!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stm61 View Post
...We send the kids after breakfast, mid-morning, after lunch, after/before recess, and on the way to/from related arts. That averages out to a minimum of every hour and a half. Unless you're teaching very young kids, or there's a special circumstance, they shouldn't have to go more frequently then that.
That's what I wish there were - designated times to go, but there just aren't at this age. And they're expected to pass quickly from one room to another between classes - no real break then either. Everyone just prays the kids go during someone else's subject, so they doesn't miss any of theirs. I get that it's because they're under a lot of pressure to cover too much material in too little time, but holding it all day (even for middle schoolers, who I do agree could wait for the end of the individual lesson) can't be healthy.

DS has his annual well visit this week, and I think I'll ask how many times a day a child his age should be going.

me, DH, DS(13), and lots of pets
PollyannaMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:58 AM   #25
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmrsellis View Post
That's a lot of time between classes! Our DH students get 4 minutes, and at Open House, I was huffing and puffing trying to get to the classes on time (3 floors). Dd16 has a teacher who will let them go to the bathroom, but deducts 1 point from their marking period grade. Dd usually has to go once a day in the late afternoon (has a lunch that ends before 11:30, and she keeps hydrated), and has to decide what class to ask to go, since there is no time between classes.
mjkacmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:05 AM   #26
Mickeypooh99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilgail2 View Post
I have always taught my daughter that if she has to use the bathroom adn the teacher says no (UNLESS its for a reason like the middle of a new lesson) she is to get up and leave, go to the bathroom and then go to the principals office and have them call me and I will come down and discuss it. I would never want my daughter to leave a half eaten lunch and come back and continue eating it, you never know what someone could have done to it. But I would tell her to try to go after eating whenever possible- the leaving class is only in an emergancy when told no!
I agree with this. My youngest DS has wet his pants in class when the teacher told him no before. He doesn't have a medical problem, but he has a small bladder. He is the kid who uses the bathroom a lot during class because he really needs too. I'm sure some teachers think he is just messing around.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:15 AM   #27
Sam81
Mouseketeer

I think the students should reverse the rolls and keep track of the teachers. every time a teacher has to leave to go to the bathroom they are deducted $20 from their paycheck. That would even things out.
Sam81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:31 AM   #28
mickeyboat
Nothing like the cream and chocolate combination
Thank you for omitting the footwear today
Moons are a sign of intelligence and beauty

My 7th grade DDs only have 3 minutes between classes and a 20 minute lunch. They carry around all their binders and books in their backpacks because there isn't enough time to go to their lockers between classes. They don't use the bathrooms either, unless it is an emergency. They barely eat or drink anything all day and are ravenous and thirsty when they get home.

I have never heard them complain about not being allowed to use the bathroom during class time, so I assume they are allowed to go if they have to. If I did hear they were not allowed to, I would definitely be saying something.

So couldnít we all come to the conclusion that itís not the PLACE that counts, itís the people who contribute to it? - Delswife
mickeyboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:58 AM   #29
DopeyDame
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Pluto View Post
Retired teacher - I never had an issue with bathroom use. I had a sign-out sheet & when the student returned, they crossed their name out. I never "checked it" to see how often anyone was using the bathroom. The signout was so that I would know if the student was out of the room at the time of a fire drill, etc.

I think making issues out of bathroom use creates problems. If the students can quietly get up & go to the bathroom without disruption - why not? Using the bathroom IS normal.
This has to be the most logical, awesome, fantastic, realistic procedure I've heard. The class isn't disrupted by kdis asking to leave, and the kids can actually go to the bathroom. Yay!

DS is in a montessori school, where even at 2.5 years old, they just go to the bathroom if they have to without any permission or discussion. The school goes through 6th grade, and the alums will sometimes come back to discuss the transition to traditional schools, and consistently one of the most annyoing things for the kids is not being able to just go pee when they want to.
DopeyDame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:24 PM   #30
Becky2005
I actually thought they made Leg Warmers to keep your legs WARM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbun View Post
I'm amazed that all these kids use the bathroom at school. My son's friends-boys and girls-were talking Saturday night about how they all wait till after school. I have no idea how they do it.
That would be my daughter! She is a camel! Of course, she has issues with public bathrooms & only uses them as a very last resort, will be peeing my pants if I don't/absolutely no other option type situation. Not that it was lucky but it did make it nice for her in the middle/end of 7th grade, she wore a back brace that she had to go to the nurse to after gym since she took it off for that & it had to be tightened by the nurse -- the nurses office has an individual bathroom. So, I think she used that to her advantage.

I haven't really discussed it too much with my boys as they aren't quite as picky. Basically, if they have to go they will use the bathrooms at school.

Becky2005 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: