Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 03:42 PM   #1
Pembo
OH-IO

Mcnally Smith in MN?

Who can tell me about this school?

Last edited by Pembo; 01-28-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Pembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:58 PM   #2
soccerdad72
DIS Veteran

Sorry, never heard of it. I googled it, but I'm sure that's no more information than you already have.
soccerdad72 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-28-2013, 04:10 PM   #3
Pembo
OH-IO

We are looking at a guitar camp there this summer. Where are my MN disers?
Old 01-28-2013, 04:15 PM   #4
MnMomtoboys
DIS Veteran

Sorry I can't help you.

MN: The land of 10,000 lakes and at least 1 idiot.
MnMomtoboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:36 PM   #5
Floristmom
Earning My Ears

I went with my nephew when he came into town for a college tour. It is a great school it has many good reviews from my friends that are musicians.

It is a really small school. Lots of recording studios, Practice rooms, nice library, bookstore, student center, repair center. The staff there is really nice and so very helpful.
The dorms are basically apartments that are a couple of blocks away.

It is in the heart on downtown St. Paul. There is a lot of touristy stuff to do.

Unfortunately it was way out of my nephews budget for school including housing etc. He ended up moving to CA and is "trying" to make it with his band.

I hope that this helped! Good Luck!
Floristmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:50 PM   #6
BRNZ
Earning My Ears

I'm a student at McNally Smith. Some general information about the school:

It's a great contemporary school of music, and there are not very many schools like it in the country. There are some great studios with state-of-the-art equipment that we have access to, which is great! I'm a performance major myself, and the performance program emphasizes being able to play a lot of different styles, and having the chops to "Get the gig." It's not necessarily about turning you into a virtuoso, but about making you hire-able by a gigging band or having the chops to start your own.

The school itself is in Downtown St. Paul, and pretty small. It all fits in one building (with administration across the street) that holds classrooms, practice rooms, studios, and an auditorium. The class sizes are very small, with a high ratio of students to teachers. The teachers themselves are practitioners of what they teach. They are all employed here because they are themselves out in the world playing music.

I don't know very much about summer camps. I know that there are "Classes" that teach some fundamentals, and that you are placed according to your theory knowledge and skill on your instrument. There are some knowledgeable and competent HSers and some absolute beginners that all show up. It's a very diverse set of musicians. I know that during the summer camp time, the camps basically take over the whole school. All of the ensemble rooms and the studios are used for the camps, so there's no shortage of resources. You'll get some time in the studio, you'll get some time playing with a band, and you'll get some time learning on your instrument.

The teachers for the program are the professors at the college, and the counselors are students of the school.
BRNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:26 PM   #7
MacNcheese
Earning My Ears

McNally Smith

Hey, I also go to the college. It' s a fun place! As mentioned before it's a contemporary school, so you'll learn more than just classical or jazz, although you will need to study them as well. As stated earlier, the focus of the instruction is so you can ( in theory ) leave the school with the knowledge to play just about every thing at a passable level. Although the school, like an, is all what you put into it. So if your a dedicated musician/ producer/ business (wo)man, you will take advantage of all the world class instruction you will be getting.

All of the teachers here are out working in the field, so theres always the chance they will be gone on tour or some thing, but that only happens every once in a while as they're all very dedicated to giving the students their time and knowledge. and unlike the other schools the teachers here have more the mindset of "hey heres this cool thing that I discovered last night at my gig, let me show you how to do it."

All in all, if you want a good (music) education I'd suggest at least giving it a closer look!
MacNcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:27 PM   #8
spacemountainmom
DIS Veteran

One of my dh's very part time employees went to school at McNally Smith. It is supposed to be pretty highly regarded. I don't know much else about it.

spacemountainmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: