Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 11:34 AM   #196
Curiouser&curiouser!
DIS Veteran

Yippee! Lots of updates!!

First of all, glad to hear you were starting to feel a bit better. Even though I know that isn't the last we will hear about sicknesses this trip.

We used to be the "up at dawn at the parks from open to close' couple. Then DS came along. It is amazing how much slower we take things, but how it is absolutely just as fun!
Curiouser&curiouser! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:39 AM   #197
reelmom
If I don't get tagged, I am gonna hold my breath until I am blue!
Didn't work. The tag turned blue instead!

Usually a lurker so I am stepping out to say "Hi!" We are thinking about staying at the Beach Club in 2014 so I am excited to see your review of it.
reelmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-18-2013, 11:46 AM   #198
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

It's good to hear that you were starting to feel better as the day went on. It's been a really really long time since we've been in the Animal Kingdom after dark. I forgot how pretty it was.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

mickeystoontown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:43 PM   #199
monica23535
DIS Veteran

Hi Mel, I'm glad you still had a great time at AK without riding anything, well except the train to Rafiki's Watch!

Your nighttime picture are lovely, we've never stayed until dark there as DH gets a bit fed up with the park after a few hours lol

I love your EE picture, that guy in front of Otaku looks as if he's about to cry!
Polynesian CL, DCL Dream & Beach Club Oct 2012

monica23535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:23 PM   #200
disneybarbie
Disney Princess

Lovely update Mel.. I have never been to Animal Kingdom in the evening, the park looks so pretty!

It's great you had a nice day despite not doing any attractions

Emma x
disneybarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:43 PM   #201
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekypoppins View Post
it's so nice when you don't have to rush because you know you'll be back there are still days when i go full force into Disney mode but some days that I take it easy too and I find I enjoy things so much more when I have trips with the perfect mix.
Actually at that point we didn't know if we were going to come back to AK this trip, but we weren't rushing anyway. It's kind of in our nature to be go-go-GO!, but this trip we were forced to slow down due to sickness and the baby. It was kind of a blessing in disguise, as it made us see that slowing down can be great too! You're right, the best trips include a mix of commando style and smelling the roses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixStrength View Post
AK at night is GORGEOUS!!!!! I'm glad you were able to enjoy your day there without one ride. It is nice sometimes to just look around and enjoy your surroundings instead of just what you get done.
It really is gorgeous, right?!! At that point I was feeling too uneasy to good on rides, but good enough to be able to enjoy the beauty of the park all around me. It was great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracer9977 View Post
Yeah, so happy for the new update and glad that you were feeling a little bit better at the end of the night.

Animal Kingdom looks so amazing at night, I would love to ride EE in the dark just once.
Except for NYE, evenings tended to be better than mornings for me. Which is pretty much the case in real life too.

Otaku actually said that riding EE in the dark was her favorite part of Animal Kingdom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAT887 View Post
I really enjoy your pics from AK! I have never been there at night. You have added a few things to my must do list for our next family trip! I haven't gone to Rafiki's Planet watch in ages or have I seen the parade. I'm so sorry you weren't feeling great on your trip. I hope it gets better!
Thanks! It's hard to get to see AK at night because it usually closes before sunset and doesn't have evening EMH anymore. Unless you're there for a special occasion, your best bet is a busy week in winter. That way sunset will be early (especially Nov, Dec and Jan) and they might extend hours late enough. While were were there AK closed at 8pm, which is pretty unusual.

There are so many things to do at AK that are not the main attractions, it's nice to take the time to check them out. I hope you get to see the parade again soon, or visit Rafiki's.

I go better... eventually.
ronnmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:58 PM   #202
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curiouser&curiouser! View Post
Yippee! Lots of updates!!

First of all, glad to hear you were starting to feel a bit better. Even though I know that isn't the last we will hear about sicknesses this trip.

We used to be the "up at dawn at the parks from open to close' couple. Then DS came along. It is amazing how much slower we take things, but how it is absolutely just as fun!
You say "Yippee! Lots of updates!!" and I say "Yippee! Lots of replies!!"

Nope, it isn't the last you'll hear about sicknesses. I *think* you've heard the worse though.

I thought for sure with a baby we'd be up and ready early since she'd wake us up early. Wasn't the case. First, I hadn't imposed a schedule on her at home yet so she was often waking up at 8am. Second, no matter how early you get up, you have to at least double the time it takes you to get ready in the morning. Third, even if you put an alarm, chances are you wont want to wake up since you'll have been up a couple of times in the middle of the night to feed said baby. So yeah, we took things lots slower, especially in the mornings and evenings. It was a bit disconcerting at first, but by the end of the trip we found our groove and were enjoying ourselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelmom View Post
Usually a lurker so I am stepping out to say "Hi!" We are thinking about staying at the Beach Club in 2014 so I am excited to see your review of it.
I'm glad you took the time to say Hi! My review of Beach Club is all typed up and ready to go. I'll post it as soon as I get to that point in the TR, which is coming up during Day 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
It's good to hear that you were starting to feel better as the day went on. It's been a really really long time since we've been in the Animal Kingdom after dark. I forgot how pretty it was.
Mornings are usually the roughest for me. It was nice to be able to enjoy a nice evening.

Well they make it hard for anyone to see AK at night anymore since they shortened the hours and did away with evening EMH. I know you usually travel in the spring, but if you manage to convince the boys to let you see Disney for the Holidays you might get a chance to see Animal Kingdom at night again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica23535 View Post
Hi Mel, I'm glad you still had a great time at AK without riding anything, well except the train to Rafiki's Watch!

Your nighttime picture are lovely, we've never stayed until dark there as DH gets a bit fed up with the park after a few hours lol

I love your EE picture, that guy in front of Otaku looks as if he's about to cry!
I tend to count the train to Rafiki's more as a mode of transportation than a ride. But yeah, I love that I managed to have a great time regardless.

Thanks. I don't have the best camera (or the best skills), so I'm happy that I was able to convey the beauty of AK at night. They more often than not close AK before sunset nowadays, so good luck seeing it at night. If you do manage to go at a time when they stay open late, just show up late to AK that day. That way your DH will only be in the parks a few hours.

haha, I hadn't noticed that guy! So funny! That's why I post the full ride picture as well as the close up, sometimes the other guests can be quite entertaining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneybarbie View Post
Lovely update Mel.. I have never been to Animal Kingdom in the evening, the park looks so pretty!

It's great you had a nice day despite not doing any attractions

Emma x
It is gorgeous! I hope you get a chance to see it yourself one day, it's even better to be walking through it.

I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed myself despite the lack of attractions. Maybe I am capable of taking things slow after all.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:30 PM   #203
Tiggerrn2
DIS Veteran

Glad you felt a bit better. AK is a park you really can enjoy the shopping and browsing in. I'm not a fan of PW on a good day, so I can't say missing that one would be a downer. Too bad the safari was done for the day. We were able to do an EMH an AK in 2006. Rode EE 4 times in a row. Then I was DONE! Haven't been out to Rafiki's Planet Watch since 2004. I think it may be time to explore it again next trip.
August 1981 offsite-Kissimmee WDW-Magic Kingdom August 1984 offsite-Celebration WDW-MK and Epcot, Sea World, Kennedy Space Center April 1987 offsite WDW-MK 15 year celebration January 1990 offsite WDW-MGM June 1996 CBR WDW-MK, Epcot and MGM / Universal Studios October 2004 AKL WDW-MK, Epcot, MGM and AK with MNSSHP July 2005 Happiest Celebration on Earth - Disneyland and DCA / San Diego -Sea World and Wild Animal Park October 2006 WL and MNSSHP. July 2007 Disneyland and DCA / San Francisco June 2008 DL and DCA Grand Californian wedding August 2008 Beach Club All Parks April 2009 DL and DCA DD 11th BirthdayOctober2009 POR Food/Wine and MNSSHP Moms Only December 2010-First Holiday Trip July 2011 Disneyland Hotel DL and DCA June 2012 CSR and Poly Sept/Oct 2012 CBR Mom's only with MNSSHP July and Aug 2013 POP to Beach Club with the boys then Girls Only at A of A to AKL
Check out My Beach Club Trip Report - loads of pixhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....ferrerid=98667
TR from 2012 "How Could You?" http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3009569.
New TR in progress-The "How Could You" Rides Again - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3172306
Tiggerrn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:41 PM   #204
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Mel, I'm a couple of updates behind. Let's see if I remember everything.

I'm so sorry you were still feeling so poorly.

I'm sorry you guys didn't enjoy Holiday Wishes...we loved it more than Wishes and Hallowishes. It's a shame that you were feeling so poorly and couldn't stay for the New Year fireworks, but the sleep was probably a better idea.

I love your photos of the AK Jingle Jungle parade. And your photopass pictures are great.

Sometimes you can have just as great a time by just watching others enjoy and just taking it all in.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:12 PM   #205
photographymom517
DIS Veteran

All caught up again!!!

Love all of your pictures!!! I have never stayed at Animal Kingdom past 4pm before, so being able to stay late this trip was a lot of fun for us!!! We were actually completely exhausted the one evening but were determined to see the park after dark...so we just sat on a bench beside a gift shop & waited for the sun to set!

I totally agree with you about touring...our best days were the ones where we either changed plans or didn't have any to begin with!!! But we also had a good time on some of the days where things were planned from morning to evening. I think the best trips have a combo of both touring styles!

I am sooooo looking forward to your BC review! I miss it there so much!!!
Old 02-19-2013, 01:48 AM   #206
shan23877
I make lists about my lists

Looks like a fun night! I'm sorry you weren't feeling up to riding anything, but you seem to have been able to keep a good attitude about it.

Love the PP pics!
shan23877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:23 AM   #207
Pluto0809
DIS Veteran

Three updates behind.... so let's see what I remember.

Great pictures of the AK parade. That is one I have yet to see. I don't think I'm going to get to it this trip either. Someday I will though!

I love riding the train out to the Conservation Station. It's really neat to see where they house the animals. Just like Disney to decorate even the vet's office!

AK at night looks so pretty. There's another thing to add to my list of things to do on a future trip!
Pluto0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:36 PM   #208
MrsDrewsky
DIS Veteran

Joining in!

Your little girl is beautiful!
Old 02-19-2013, 08:28 PM   #209
katt789
DIS Veteran

AK at night looks so pretty!! I've always wanted to check it out after dark, but it's always been closed at five when we've been there, or I've had other plans, lol! Glad you had fun while slowing down and relaxing!!

Instagram:Kattwyllie
Twitter: KattWy

katt789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:27 AM   #210
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

I'm watching "Live with Kelly & Michael" in Magic Kingdom and it's both awesome and pure torture. I wanna go back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going back to work next week. I'm so sad that my mat leave is almost over. I could have had 10 more weeks, but I decided to give them to Ron. It's better for me as a teacher to go back not so close to the end of the school year. Plus, I think it will be nice for them to have some father-daughter alone time.

I know I'm going to be tired and busy, but I don't think this TR will suffer too much as I've been very good so far at typing updates ahead of time. I'm already halfway through Day 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerrn2 View Post
Glad you felt a bit better. AK is a park you really can enjoy the shopping and browsing in. I'm not a fan of PW on a good day, so I can't say missing that one would be a downer. Too bad the safari was done for the day. We were able to do an EMH an AK in 2006. Rode EE 4 times in a row. Then I was DONE! Haven't been out to Rafiki's Planet Watch since 2004. I think it may be time to explore it again next trip.
Yes, AK is best enjoyed when taking your time. I actually like Primeval Whirl, and it had been closed during our Disneymoon, so I was a bit bummed about that. I cannot do EE though. I tried it twice last trip, and after spending 90 minutes laying on my bed nauseous after the second ride, I said never again. I can't imagine doing it four times in a row!

Yep, you're due to go back to Rafiki's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Mel, I'm a couple of updates behind. Let's see if I remember everything.

I'm so sorry you were still feeling so poorly.

I'm sorry you guys didn't enjoy Holiday Wishes...we loved it more than Wishes and Hallowishes. It's a shame that you were feeling so poorly and couldn't stay for the New Year fireworks, but the sleep was probably a better idea.

I love your photos of the AK Jingle Jungle parade. And your photopass pictures are great.

Sometimes you can have just as great a time by just watching others enjoy and just taking it all in.
Thanks.

A lot of things played a role in us not enjoying Holiday Wishes. I guess it wasn't meant to be.

I've always been a go-go-go girl at Disney so it was nice to see that I could have a great time slowing down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photographymom517 View Post
All caught up again!!!

Love all of your pictures!!! I have never stayed at Animal Kingdom past 4pm before, so being able to stay late this trip was a lot of fun for us!!! We were actually completely exhausted the one evening but were determined to see the park after dark...so we just sat on a bench beside a gift shop & waited for the sun to set!

I totally agree with you about touring...our best days were the ones where we either changed plans or didn't have any to begin with!!! But we also had a good time on some of the days where things were planned from morning to evening. I think the best trips have a combo of both touring styles!

I am sooooo looking forward to your BC review! I miss it there so much!!!
Nothing wrong with just sitting on a bench and enjoy the moment once in a while. You really need to post your pictures of that trip.

We had some great unplanned moments, some great planned ones, some plans went wrong, and sometimes we should have had a plan. With every trip we are getting better at perfecting the perfect touring styles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan23877 View Post
Looks like a fun night! I'm sorry you weren't feeling up to riding anything, but you seem to have been able to keep a good attitude about it.

Love the PP pics!
I think what helped me not feel too abd about not riding stuff is that I knew going into this trip that we would never equal the amount of rides we did during our Disneymoon, that it would be a totally different trip, and that there is nothing wrong with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluto0809 View Post
Three updates behind.... so let's see what I remember.

Great pictures of the AK parade. That is one I have yet to see. I don't think I'm going to get to it this trip either. Someday I will though!

I love riding the train out to the Conservation Station. It's really neat to see where they house the animals. Just like Disney to decorate even the vet's office!

AK at night looks so pretty. There's another thing to add to my list of things to do on a future trip!
You are a huge AK fan yet you have never seen the parade? You are missing out!! It's such a neat parade, you have to find a way to make the time for it in the near future. I hope you get to see AK at night as well.

It's nice to see some of the "backstage" stuff like the animal houses. I love how the guide on our train ride said that no animals is forced to go "on stage" on any day, that they can just stay in their "house" if they so desire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsDrewsky View Post
Joining in!

Your little girl is beautiful!
and thank you!

Congratulations on your pregnancy! Is that your first? Are you having a boy or a girl?

Quote:
Originally Posted by katt789 View Post
AK at night looks so pretty!! I've always wanted to check it out after dark, but it's always been closed at five when we've been there, or I've had other plans, lol! Glad you had fun while slowing down and relaxing!!
Well if you ever find yourself at WDW on a day where AK is open late, you have to make it a plan to see it. You won't be disappointed! Especially a big EE fan like you, I'm sure you'll get a huge kick out of riding it in the dark.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: