Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 12:02 PM   #1
Jillpie
Can you package some Main St. music and send it to me?

What time to go downstairs from the Hyatt, with a PAT of 11:00 am?

If it takes an hour to get to the port, and want to make sure we get right on board as early as possible, do you think about 9:30 am'sh to check in for transfers?
Old 01-28-2013, 12:13 PM   #2
sambycat
DIS Veteran

That is reasonable. We used dcl transfers and had an early PAT. the busses start running somewhere around that time, so we used the mco Hyatt luggage transfer service, had our bags ready about 8, left to grab breakfast and where ready to get on the bus around 9ish.

sambycat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-28-2013, 12:21 PM   #3
DisneyCrazMom
Mouseketeer

The desk used to open around 8:30 at MCO for transfers, but it has been awhile since I did it. I think I actually went down at 8:00 and was second in line after this other gentleman pushed around me to be the first to the desk. I would suggest stopping by there the night before if you can, they will have a sign up that says what time they open. We checked in with the desk and then went and got something to eat and got back around 9:00 or so.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:39 PM   #4
gortman65
Proud papa to two Mouseketeers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyCrazMom View Post
The desk used to open around 8:30 at MCO for transfers, but it has been awhile since I did it. I think I actually went down at 8:00 and was second in line after this other gentleman pushed around me to be the first to the desk. I would suggest stopping by there the night before if you can, they will have a sign up that says what time they open. We checked in with the desk and then went and got something to eat and got back around 9:00 or so.
Totally off topic, but....gotta love those kind of people. I'm sure his cruise was much more enjoyable because he got in front of you so he could go first.

gortman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:46 PM   #5
poison ivy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillpie View Post
If it takes an hour to get to the port, and want to make sure we get right on board as early as possible, do you think about 9:30 am'sh to check in for transfers?
We just did this on Jan 12. 9:30am to check in will be a little late. We were loaded onto the first bus and pulling out at 9:33 am.

You will be handed an instruction sheet from Hyatt that you must complete and give to Disney which explains the process and lets DCL know how many bags were being handled by Hyatt's service.

Officially, the DCL counter opens at 9:00am. However, it opened up around 8:50am when we were there. So you may want to arrive between 8:30 - 8:45 if you want to be one of the earliest processed.
poison ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:48 PM   #6
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambycat View Post
That is reasonable. We used dcl transfers and had an early PAT. the busses start running somewhere around that time, so we used the mco Hyatt luggage transfer service, had our bags ready about 8, left to grab breakfast and where ready to get on the bus around 9ish.
Was the Hyatt luggage transfer service something you had to set up ahead of time or once you arrived? We will be staying there as well and using DCL transfers the next morning. Thanks.

momto3gr8boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:04 PM   #7
kcashner
DIS Veteran

There is a sign that says the desk opens at 8:30; in reality it opened about 8:15 on our cruise. Your luggage will be removed from your room between 8 and 9; they ask that you have it ready for pick up by 8.

SO...what we did....went down to desk a few minutes after 8 (that's how we knew that it opened at 8:15) and checked in. We were assigned to the first bus--what a surprise--and asked to be in the area about 9:15 for boarding. We went to breakfast after checking in, I even went to the hotel to verify that our luggage was gone (leaving family by the welcome center as they told me I was crazy!), and was back at the welcome center area before 9:15. We were on the first bus which departed about 9:25

If you show up at the welcome center at 9:30, your bus may not depart till 10. This isn't bad, but may make you just a little later than you'd planned. Still, no problems because if you are on a bus that arrives at the port at 11, you'll go right in (no waiting for the bus people once they are off the bus.)
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:24 PM   #8
jenpink
Mouseketeer

We also did this on January 12. The main benefit to being on the first bus is that you will be among the first to enter the port terminal and can get a lower boarding number. We were on the first bus and got boarding number 3 so were among the first groups to board the ship and could swim in empty pools and go on the aquaduck with no line ( and I do mean none). We were waiting for the transfers at 8am but they didn't start check in until 8:45 or so, but the first bus filled quickly. Have a great time
jenpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:28 PM   #9
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenpink View Post
We also did this on January 12. The main benefit to being on the first bus is that you will be among the first to enter the port terminal and can get a lower boarding number. We were on the first bus and got boarding number 3 so were among the first groups to board the ship and could swim in empty pools and go on the aquaduck with no line ( and I do mean none). We were waiting for the transfers at 8am but they didn't start check in until 8:45 or so, but the first bus filled quickly. Have a great time
No longer. They no longer do DCL checkin at MCO (checkin for bus transport only). So you now receive the boarding number tied to your PAT, like everyone else.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:32 PM   #10
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Not quite this way any more. While you WILL get into the terminal when your bus arrives (no waiting in line outside the terminal), you will do your check in and get your boarding number at the port. The boarding number is tied to the scheduled port arrival time, regardless of what time you actually get to the terminal.

And how fast the first bus fills depends on the number of people using DCL transfers and getting there early. We've been on 9:30 departures where the bus was not full. On the other hand, on the EBTA we got to the welcome center before 9:00 and they were already handing out spots on the 4th bus.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:33 PM   #11
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
No longer. They no longer do DCL checkin at MCO (checkin for bus transport only). So you now receive the boarding number tied to your PAT, like everyone else.
So are you saying that even if you get on the first bus out of MCO you will not be allowed to board? Or to be in the terminal? Or do they check that for you at MCO before they let you on the bus? I'm just curious because I am only at silver so if when I do online check in in a few weeks and get a higher group #, should I bother getting to the desk at MCO by 8-8:30? If they are just going to make us sit around, I'm not dragging three teens out of bed any earlier than I have to

momto3gr8boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:36 PM   #12
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto3gr8boys View Post
So are you saying that even if you get on the first bus out of MCO you will not be allowed to board? Or to be in the terminal? Or do they check that for you at MCO before they let you on the bus? I'm just curious because I am only at silver so if when I do online check in in a few weeks and get a higher group #, should I bother getting to the desk at MCO by 8-8:30? If they are just going to make us sit around, I'm not dragging three teens out of bed any earlier than I have to
Arriving on DCL transfers will allow you into the terminal, regardless of your PAT. Your actual boarding number that you receive when you check in will be the same checking in early as it would be if you checked in at your PAT. So, with a later PAT, you might get #12, say. You will receive that same boarding number if you check in when the bus gets you there at 10:00, or if you don't checkin until 1:30.

Once Open Boarding is announced (generally around 12:30-12:45) anyone holding any boarding number may board.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:43 PM   #13
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Going downstairs at MCO will result in you being assigned to a bus. You do not check in at MCO. If you want to get on the noon bus instead of the 9:30 bus, that is your choice. The only "check in" at MCO is checking in for the bus, not for the cruise.

HOWEVER, when the bus gets to Port Canaveral and the CM has come on board to welcome you, you will be allowed into the terminal with no waiting...thru security and into the check in line People who arrive by private transport before their PAT may have to wait outside; those on DCL bus transportation will not.

The boarding group you are assigned will be computer tied to your PAT. You board when your number is called. However, at some point (usually about 1 pm), they will announce "open boarding" meaning that anyone can board regardless of numbers. Translation--we caught up to the numbers; no more waiting.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:53 PM   #14
jenpink
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Sorry I guess I was not clear. I checked in at the port and got a low boarding number at the port because I took the first bus over and had a pat of 11am I did not check in at the airport for the cruise. They didn't open up the port terminal until our first bus got there so we were still able to check in before anyone else even though we checked in at the port. Hope that clears things up
jenpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #15
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenpink

Sorry I guess I was not clear. I checked in at the port and got a low boarding number at the port because I took the first bus over. I did not check in at the airport for the cruise. They didn't open up the port terminal until our first bus got there so we were still able to check in before anyone else even though we checked in at the port. Hope that clears things up
The previous posters were not linking your boarding number to checking in at the airport. They were pointing out that your boarding number has nothing to do with when or how you arrive at the port and is linked only to the Port Arrival Time you selected when you did online check-in six weeks or more before your cruise. So even if you arrived at 10am to check in at the port, if the PAT you got six weeks ago is 2pm, you will be given a much higher boarding number and will have to wait for everyone else who is arriving closer to their assigned PAT to board before you or for the CMs to announce open boarding.
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: