Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 07:37 PM   #31
pandamom
I want to go to WDW NOW!
Loves Panera Bread

I was a Freshman in college in Daytona Beach. I had just finished a flight lesson (part of our normal training air space was closed for the shuttle launch) and was walking back to my dorm when it happened. It was a horrible site -- just couldn't believe it. People were crying and in disbelief. I went and woke up my roommate and she wouldn't believe me until I turned on the TV.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:09 PM   #32
krcit
DIS Veteran

I was a junior in high school and we were watching it live. It took us a minute to realize what had happened. So tragic

krcit is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-28-2013, 08:15 PM   #33
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

My DH was in Florida for his one and only trip to Disney with his family when he was 13. They had driven down to Port Canaveral to watch the shuttle launch. He says the images are forever in his mind.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:19 PM   #34
low-key
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
What followed after those words, is still embedded in my head like it all happened yesterday.

The lady in the back on the right hand side is Akrons own Judy Resnic
Old 01-28-2013, 10:49 PM   #35
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

The delays and the weather, just didn't feel right. I told DH, that I had a bad feeling. It was horrible and I will NEVER forget that feeling.

"They prepared for their journey, and waved good-bye, and 'slipped the surly bonds of earth' to 'touch the face of God." Ronald Reagan

Last edited by TLSnell1981; 01-28-2013 at 11:10 PM.
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:53 PM   #36
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

I remember that I wanted to be just like Judy Resnik.

RIP, all seven great heroes.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:16 PM   #37
ShelsGoingToDisney
DIS Veteran

I was in 9th grade 3rd period language arts class. Remember it very vividly.

One of the teacher finalists was a teacher at my high school. I was actually in his class when the first launch after Challenger went up. We watched live and had a long discussion with him about it. I remember someone saying, "boy you were lucky you weren't chosen," and he responded that even though he knew what happened he would still want to have been chosen! He was so in love with the space program. It was really neat to experience it with him. Sadly he died a couple years later in an airplane crash. He is one of the big reasons I got really interested in the space shuttle and pushed to make sure I attended a launch. My wish came true on the very last launch ever, July 8th, 2011 of Atlantis.

Offsite ~ July 1983, June 1992, March 2001; Poly/ASMovies~Jan 2006;Poly~April 2006;Pop/Poly~Jan 2008;CR~March 2009;BC~Oct 2009;POP~July 2010;Harry Potter trip~Jan 2011;Endeavour Launch Trip~April 2011;Atlantis Launch Trip~July 2011;POR~May 2012; Disney Fantasy Cruise ~ May 2012;Joey's 13th Birthday Christmas Decor Trip ~ Nov/Dec.2012;Disneyland~May 2013 ~ Silly Sam's AoA Adventure Nov. 2013 ~ WONDERful Alaska May 2014
ShelsGoingToDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:43 PM   #38
CandyMandy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney1990 View Post
I was home alone with my one year old watching the launch. Years later I learned that survived the explosion, but we were helpless to do anything to save them. So very sad.
Yes, that is the element that always gets to me. Understandably, NASA and the media didn't play up the fact that the investigation concluded all the astronauts aboard were alive and conscious during their almost three minute long fall, which ended when the intact crew compartment section of Challenger hit the water at around 200mph. That exposed the astronauts to a braking force of 200 times normal gravity.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/3078062/ns...rnity-descent/

"At first, many people watching the blast, and others in mission control, believed the astronauts had died instantly — a blessing in its own right.

But they were wrong.

NASA’s intensive, meticulous studies of every facet of that explosion, comparing what happened to other blowups of aircraft and spacecraft, and the knowledge of the forces of the blast and the excellent shape and construction of the crew cabin, finally led some investigators to a mind-numbing conclusion.

They were alive all the way down.
"
CandyMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:50 PM   #39
Robbi
DIS Veteran

My husband and I had just moved to a new house in the same town. I went to the Chinese restaurant to pick up food to surprise our old neighbors. When I walked into their house, it was just being announced.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:48 AM   #40
portia9
DIS Veteran

27 years! So sad.

Book Challenge Goal for 2014-100 books

blueeyedboy~It Happened One Summer~Imperial Requiem~The Search for Anne Perry~A Sprig of Lavender~Pride and Prejudice:The Scenes Jane Austen Never Wrote~The Village Newcomers~The Mist on Bronte Moor~A Village in Jeopardy~The Next Best Thing~Village School~Life After Life~A Room of One's Own~The Rosie Project~Summertime~Cheaper By The Dozen~Belles on Their Toes~A Perfect Life~Kilmeny of the Orchard~The Real Life Mary Poppins~A Proud Taste of Scarlet and Miniver~Expectations of Happiness~The Last Wife of Henry VIII~Tempting Fate~The Rebuttal~A Storm of Swords~A Feast for Crows~A Dance of Dragons~Green Grass~Girt~Village Books~Searching for Shona~The Wonderful Wizard of Oz~The Marvelous Land of Oz~Ozma of Oz~The Maze Runner~Revenge Wears Prada~Captain Wentworth Home From the Sea~Mr Darcy's Great Escape~None But You~For You Alone~Tess of the D'urbervilles~The Pursuit of God~Is It Just Me?~Notes To My Mother-In-Law~The Little Friend~About the B'nai Bagels~Aunt Dimity's Death~Poldark~A Man Lay Dead~Attempting Elizabeth~Mrs Dalloway~The Mayor of Casterbridge~Speaking From Among the Bones~The Second Chance~Aunt Dimity and the Duke~Volunteering~The Fellowship of the Ring~The Two Towers~The Return of the King~Demelza~Innocence of Father Brown~The Lowland~The Europeans~North and South~Quartet in Autumn~Jane Eyre~Collected Works of A.J.Fikry~The Sisterhood~Come and Tell Me Some Lies~How Many Camels Are There in Holland?~
portia9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:56 AM   #41
Maggie Lizer
DIS Veteran

I was in 6th grade, and had lunch right before science class, in which we were going to watch the coverage of the launch (we were in south Florida, and NASA activities always warranted a day of TV in science class). I remember all of us shuffling into class, not knowing what was going on when we saw the cloud on the TV because the news hadn't yet hit the lunchroom when we were there. It was so weird, especially since one of our teachers had applied to be the teacher in space and made it past at least the first round and may have even been a finalist (my memory is not entirely clear).

DS1 & DS2 (and DH, of course) 4/29 - 5/8/14.

Possibly again in January 2015????
Maggie Lizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:07 AM   #42
bigbabyblues
DIS Veteran

I was in 4th grade, and we were watching it on tv. I remember the smoke trail and my teacher crying.
bigbabyblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:53 AM   #43
Snoopymom
DIS Veteran

27 years, wow.

I was working nights and going to school and extremely tired, and I remember where I was and I remember being sad, but it didn't really affect me like it would today.

Since then, I've taken my nephew when he was little to Kenedy Space museum and my ds to see the last launch in 2011, I used to watch NASA tv before direct tv got rid of it, and I watch all the specials on PBS, so I can't help to think how weird it was that I didn't think that much about it at the time it happened.

I just noticed that the flight director Jay Greene has a book out. He didn't retire until 2004, and went on to work on more launches, so it's good to know it didn't ruin him. I just can't imagine being the one who said "go".
Snoopymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:01 AM   #44
snapppyd

Is the daughter a member of the Dis?
Every day seems to be April Fool's Day on the Dis lately

Location: Donna Reedville Mind Blown, Reeking Lumstown, OlderthanDirtboro, Only post the good ones, They Must be done away with at all costs,USA

I couldn't sleep last night, I went on YouTube and watched the news reports from both disasters. Just doesn't/didn't seem real.

...........................bored much?
snapppyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:38 AM   #45
U2_rocks!
The DISer formerly known as U2_rocks - member since Oct 2005
I wasn't a "bad girl", but I wasn't little miss perfect either!

I was equivalent of a senior in high school (Upper 6th) and we were all watching the launch on TV in the school auditorium. Shocking!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: