Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Disney Collectors Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 03:06 PM   #1
savwiley1
Earning My Ears

Exclamation Seeking special pin for 8yr old son completing chemo

My son was diagnosed with Leukemia in February of 2010. He was 5 at the time. Treatment for Leukemia is very LOOOONG and drawn out - but I am happy to say that in April of 2013 (this year) he will complete his chemotherapy regimen and will be able to see the doctor less frequently!! WE ARE SO EXCITED!!

In celebration of his great feat - we are planning a week long DisneyWorld trip!!! This is why I have come to the disboards.... I am seeking "help". I have the details all figured out -- but I would REALLY like to introduce him to the "Pin Trading" phenomenon by getting him his FIRST pin -- and present it to him the morning before we leave for Disney.

While researching, I found a website called Disneypins.com. I did a search for a "doctor mickey" pin (since I thought this would be a most appropriate pin to receive at this momentous time!) I found a "Doctors Day 2013" pin scheduled to be released in DISNEYLAND Parks on February 28, 2013. It is a limited edition pin so I am not able to order it from merchandise guest services until 30 days after it has been released (which I fear may be too late and it will be sold out.)

So my question to the community is this: Is there anyone that frequently visits Disneyland that will be visiting during the release date of this pin, and would be willing to purchase and ship it to me? (Advance payment from me of course)...??

Also, for the experienced pin collectors and traders... can you recall or think of a MORE appropriate pin for him from the past that I can look for on ebay or amazon?? I want his first pin to be special and memorable for his unique situation. Thank you all in advance for your time! Hope to hear some great ideas!!
savwiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:07 AM   #2
NEDisneyFans
DIS Veteran

It will also be released at WDW on 2/28. I will be there 3/2-10 and would be happy to help with this!

WDW: AKL & BLT 6/14; BWV 3/13; BWV 3/12; BWV 6/10; AKL 6/09; SSR 1/09; POP 2/07, 3/06, 2/05; BWV 5/04
DLR: Good Neighbor 10/11; GCH 4/08
DCL: Magic 10/06 (Disneymoon!)

2014 Reading Goal: 55 Books
NEDisneyFans is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-28-2013, 12:28 PM   #3
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

I will be in DLR ON 2-28, let me know if you would like me to look for you!! There are many dr pins out there but please be careful buying on eBay, there are many scrapper there. Use the link in my signature to help find some good eBay sellers.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:32 PM   #4
Shea&Van
&Waves

I don't have any advice on pin collecting, but I wanted to pop in and say "Yahoooo!!!" I'm so happy to hear he's doing better and has completed his chemo. I have no doubt the wonderful Dis'ers will be able to point you in the right direction for his special pin.

Blessings to you and your family!

Disney Trips: June 1987 - WDW Off-site, July 1993 - WDW Off-site, September 2002 - DL Off-site, March 2003 - WDW Off-site, January 2010 - WDW Villas at Wilderness Lodge, September 2011 - WDW All Star Sports and Windsor Hills
Just Wrapped Up: Nov/Dec 2013 - WDW Buena Vista Suites (one night) and Private Villa at the Emerald Island Resort (eight nights)

Shea&Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:58 AM   #5
SupernaturalMommy
Mouseketeer

Yay! I am so happy for you. I know that is a rough journey. I know a family from my daughter's gym who has a son who has been battling it for years. He had a bone marrow transplant as well, and is still fighting. I wish you and your family the best.

I might have a doctor themed pin I can send. I'll look today. If you can rack up a few more posts so that you can send PM's, please contact me. I may be able to put together a little starter kit to get you started.
SupernaturalMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:21 PM   #6
savwiley1
Earning My Ears

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupernaturalMommy View Post
Yay! I am so happy for you. I know that is a rough journey. I know a family from my daughter's gym who has a son who has been battling it for years. He had a bone marrow transplant as well, and is still fighting. I wish you and your family the best.

I might have a doctor themed pin I can send. I'll look today. If you can rack up a few more posts so that you can send PM's, please contact me. I may be able to put together a little starter kit to get you started.
Can you explain the PM criteria for me... I am new to DisBoards?!? And thank you so much for your kind words and thoughts. That would be AMAZING if you had something willing to send -- You could always know that there is a little boy somewhere in Texas with your doctors pin on his lanyard (and it will have sentimental value to him) Thanks again for taking the time to look at my post!

And to everyone else who has responded... THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! I did just find out that the pin was being released at DisneyWorld also; so YAY! I still won't be there myself but if either of the two kind ladies who offered to coordinate the purchase with me, are still willing - please let me know what I need to do to orchestrate this (dont know how to PM or if I am allowed to give my real email address?)

Thanks a bunch everyone for your well wishes!! This means a lot! <3
Old 01-31-2013, 02:55 PM   #7
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!

You have to have a certain number of posts to PM, but I think you have enough. Just click on my screenname and a drop down menu will come up, chose "send a private message to pixiewings71" and it will take you to a page where you can send a PM. To see if you have any PM's you can look in the upper right corner of the page, it says Private Messages, click there and you can be taken to your inbox.
I was one who said I would help, as a trial send me a PM, if you have problems let me know here and I'll PM you

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:08 PM   #8
savwiley1
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiewings71 View Post
You have to have a certain number of posts to PM, but I think you have enough. Just click on my screenname and a drop down menu will come up, chose "send a private message to pixiewings71" and it will take you to a page where you can send a PM. To see if you have any PM's you can look in the upper right corner of the page, it says Private Messages, click there and you can be taken to your inbox.
I was one who said I would help, as a trial send me a PM, if you have problems let me know here and I'll PM you
Thank you for your offer and info. Sent you a PM to try it out. Let me know on this thread if it does not get to you.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:50 AM   #9
SupernaturalMommy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by savwiley1 View Post
Thank you for your offer and info. Sent you a PM to try it out. Let me know on this thread if it does not get to you.
I also got your PM, so look for a reply in your inbox.
SupernaturalMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:46 PM   #10
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!

I got it, I replied

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: