Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 10:01 PM   #1
themrsp
Disney Freak!

What time should I book return flight?

First time cruiser in May. Disney CL website says do not book flights before noon. We are purchasing transportation through Disney to cruise. How early can I book my return flight? What time will be bused to airport? How do they determine who goes first?

Was looking at booking a return flight leaving at 12:00PM. Help?
Old 01-27-2013, 10:06 PM   #2
kappaman14
Earning My Ears

Just got off the Fantasy. We had a car service, and booked two different flights with Southwest (no cancellation fees). Made it to The airport in time for a 10:35am flight and then cancelled the later flight. Not sure how the buses work though; my other cruise we had a rental car.
kappaman14 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-28-2013, 12:19 AM   #3
kcashner
DIS Veteran

From port Canaveral, Disney says to book after noon, but then THEY book people on 11:30 flights. If your flight is before 11:25, you can't use onboard check in (if you qualify anyhow.....)

Yes, we've been there early enough to take an earlier flight once, but I wouldn't schedule anything before 11.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:31 PM   #4
themrsp
Disney Freak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
From port Canaveral, Disney says to book after noon, but then THEY book people on 11:30 flights. If your flight is before 11:25, you can't use onboard check in (if you qualify anyhow.....)

Yes, we've been there early enough to take an earlier flight once, but I wouldn't schedule anything before 11.
Ok! Thanks. That is what I was wondering. I think I would be safe booking the noon flight. I am booking on my own so I don't think I can check in online.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:30 PM   #5
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by themrsp View Post
Ok! Thanks. That is what I was wondering. I think I would be safe booking the noon flight. I am booking on my own so I don't think I can check in online.
Onboard airline check-in depends on the airline you're flying; not how you book it. AirTran Airways, Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Continental Airlines, Delta Air Lines, JetBlue Airways, United Airlines and US Airways participate. Unfortunately, Southwest (our usual airline) does not.

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/pl...ian-caribbean/
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:43 PM   #6
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

All the pp's are correct and this is how it usually goes..............however.........

If the vessel is late.....customs has a problem...........there is a traffic issue..........security is backed up............then you may not make your flight. I know it is rare but it does happen.

We usualy make a 5 to 6 pm flight. We use DCL buses and rent a car at the airport and go to DTD for lunch and a relaxing afternoon, then back to the airport.

I just don't want to worry about missing a early flight!

Enjoy your cruise!

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:00 PM   #7
EDH Family
Married to the Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappaman14 View Post
Just got off the Fantasy. We had a car service, and booked two different flights with Southwest (no cancellation fees). Made it to The airport in time for a 10:35am flight and then cancelled the later flight. Not sure how the buses work though; my other cruise we had a rental car.
We're doing the same thing in Sring Break with our SWA points, booked a 11:30 and a 4:30.

2005 Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas-December * 2007 Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas-September * 2008 Disney Magic 7 Night Mexican Riviera-June * 2009 Disney Wonder 3 Night Bahamas-February * 2010 Disney Wonder 4 Night Bahamas-November * 2011 Disney Dream 4 Night Bahamas-April * 2011 Disney Wonder 7 Night Mexican Riviera-November-Roy Disney Suite! * 2012 Disney Fantasy 7 Night Eastern-December * 2013 Disney Dream 4 Night Bahamas - March * 2013 Disney Fantasy 7 Night Western-March * 2013 Disney Dream 3 Night Bahamas-August * 2014 Disney Fantasy 7 Night Eastern-April
EDH Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:01 PM   #8
kcashner
DIS Veteran

To answer how they determine who gets on the bus first...whoever gets off the ship first when they make the "free to disembark" announcement, gets their stuff and goes thru Customs will get on the bus first. The bus will depart as soon as it fills up, and then they'll start filling the next one.

If you are really in a hurry, you can keep your luggage in your room on the last night (called self-disembarkation.) Then you will be allowed off the ship while they are still arranging luggage in the terminal. However, NO NEED to rush if you have a noon flight time.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:19 AM   #9
Bluegrassfam
Just off the Fantasy, want to go back.

We were on the Fantasy and had a 6:45 breakfast, picked our luggage, customs and bus (DCL transpo) and arrived at the airport at 9:30 am. We had a 12:45 flight. I don't know if this is typical or not as this was our first DCL cruise, but we had plenty of time. Cheers
Bluegrassfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:13 PM   #10
novascotiagal
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegrassfam View Post
We were on the Fantasy and had a 6:45 breakfast, picked our luggage, customs and bus (DCL transpo) and arrived at the airport at 9:30 am. We had a 12:45 flight. I don't know if this is typical or not as this was our first DCL cruise, but we had plenty of time. Cheers
Did you carry off your luggage or leave it for Disney to take off? Our flight is at 1225 hr to Canada and I'm a little anxious about timing, even though when my TA called Disney they say I'm okay
novascotiagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:49 PM   #11
MikeRx
Mouseketeer

Great Answer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
All the pp's are correct and this is how it usually goes..............however.........

If the vessel is late.....customs has a problem...........there is a traffic issue..........security is backed up............then you may not make your flight. I know it is rare but it does happen.

We usualy make a 5 to 6 pm flight. We use DCL buses and rent a car at the airport and go to DTD for lunch and a relaxing afternoon, then back to the airport.

Enjoy your cruise!

AKK
Thank you for solving our problem! We have a 5:20pm flight after our cruise, but wanted the convenience of the DCL transfer for the baggage handling, but dreaded the 5-6 hours in the airport with a 5 year-old. Not such a magical way to end a vacation…We will take the DCL transfer and rent the car at the airport. We can then go to DTD or a Disney park as our APs expire that day! Thanks again for posting.

Mike DW DS (4 ½ ) DMIL

First visit 1976, WDW 2/2010 BC CL, Disneyland GC 12/2010, WDW 4/2012 POLY TPV, WDW 7/2012 (off site meeting), WDW 12/12 POP and 4/2013 POLY with Disney Dream cruise!
MikeRx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:40 PM   #12
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post

Enjoy your cruise!

AKK
Our cruise, the hangup was at the airport. Used Disney transportion, they had us at the airport at 10:15 am, had boarding passes in hand at 10:30, but there was a 90 minute line at the metal detectors at the airport. Our 12:35 pm was already boarding when we got to the gate. So lunch for our plan for a leisurely lunch at the airport. Next time, I'm not booking before 1 pm.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: