Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 08:21 PM   #1
ambergem108
Earning My Ears

Do a lot people really dress up for the Pirate Deck party?

I am always one for going all out on dressing up in costumes. But will there be a lot of people dressing all out for the pirate party? I mean not just kids, but do teens and adults participate? And would it make sense to dress up as Peter Pan at a pirate party? I really would like to dress up as him because he is my favorite character. I just don't want to extremely stick out and be the only person in a non-pirate costume even though it would be somewhat related to pirates since Peter Pan fights them.
ambergem108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:24 PM   #2
SA53
DIS Veteran

People have said that it depends on the length of your cruise. On our 7 day Fantasy cruise this past July I would say about 75% of the people dressed up. Of course us DISers all knew to do it but I was amazed how many others did as well!!!

It was so much fun and the highlight of our trip.

Have fun!!!

K in SA

SA53 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-27-2013, 08:26 PM   #3
SleepyDeb
Mouseketeer

On our Fantasy last week, I'd say most adults had something more than just the bandana the give you. But, only a few adults had full blown pirate costumes.
SleepyDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:27 PM   #4
CSHaydt
Mouseketeer

There were more people dressed up then i thought there would be. Kids were really decked out! I think if you dress as Peter Pan you would stick out but people really got into it. They give each person a pirate bandanna. I tied it in my hair and wore a pheasant blouse; my DS7 dressed up like a pirate and i brought him an eye patch, pirate booty, pirate hat and sword and he loved it; i'd say more then half of the kids had something piratey on. My DH did not dress up at all but i did see a couple of families get really into it.

Hope that's helpful!
Old 01-27-2013, 08:36 PM   #5
k3chantal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambergem108 View Post
I am always one for going all out on dressing up in costumes. But will there be a lot of people dressing all out for the pirate party? I mean not just kids, but do teens and adults participate? And would it make sense to dress up as Peter Pan at a pirate party? I really would like to dress up as him because he is my favorite character. I just don't want to extremely stick out and be the only person in a non-pirate costume even though it would be somewhat related to pirates since Peter Pan fights them.
On our 7 day Wonder cruise, there was a spectrum. From people in full regalia to nothing. We chose to buy matching pirate shirts from Etsy. It made us feel like we were in the 'know' and prepared for the evening but not over the top (not our scene; Halloween being our least favorite holiday; my two boys don't like to dress up) Strangely enough for people who are not crazy about costumes, our cruise was also during Halloween so the kids did dress up for that (which was on a different night).

I think dressing as Peter Pan is really creative and keeping in the Disney theming. I do think you will be the only one and may receive a lot of attention. It sounds as if you would be comfortable with that.

The kids have since grown out of their pirate t shirts but I will probably go back on Etsy and purchase new ones. The 'teenager' was quite happy to wear it as part of his p.j.'s and every time he came out of his room, it made me remember our 'Wonder'ful vacation.
k3chantal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:42 PM   #6
bahacca
Mouseketeer

My girls are IZZY from Jake and the Neverland Pirates, so they'd love to see Peter Pan that night! I wanted to get decked out, but flying across the country and trying to stick to only carry on items is putting a cramp in my pirate night plans. I'm heavily leaning towards making a shirt with a graphic of Disney princesses as pirates on it.
bahacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:48 PM   #7
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambergem108 View Post
Yes, we do

I've seen several Peter Pans, as well as Wendys, Captn Hooks, and Mr Smees on pirate night.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:55 PM   #8
ambergem108
Earning My Ears

Thank you all so much for the replies! I will start making my Peter Pan costume and convince the rest of my family to dress up too! Thanks!
ambergem108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:52 PM   #9
super mike b
DIS Veteran

We love the pirate night. The best part is all the different costumes.
super mike b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:00 PM   #10
sandiegosusie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
Yes, we do

I've seen several Peter Pans, as well as Wendys, Captn Hooks, and Mr Smees on pirate night.
so cute! I love the corset!

DCLWonder 2003
DCL Wonder 2007
DCL Magic 2009
DCL Dream 2013
DL annual passholders...too many trips to count.
WL 2003
CSR 2007
POR 2008
POFQ 2009
CR 2011
sandiegosusie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:05 PM   #11
juki
Earning My Ears

havent been on a cruise yet so i dont know how many people dress up but i bought a peter pan outfit for our son as well. he loves to watch jake and the neverland pirates and peter pan comes to visit... so dont see anything wrong with that choice

juki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:08 PM   #12
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

I saw two older teen girls dressed as John and Michael with their mom dressed as Wendy.
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:15 PM   #13
maggs1035
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahacca
My girls are IZZY from Jake and the Neverland Pirates, so they'd love to see Peter Pan that night! I wanted to get decked out, but flying across the country and trying to stick to only carry on items is putting a cramp in my pirate night plans. I'm heavily leaning towards making a shirt with a graphic of Disney princesses as pirates on it.
You can mail your costumes to the ship?
maggs1035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:20 PM   #14
crodrig1120
Earning My Ears

We are going on our first Disney cruise in November and we are considering dressing my daughter as a mermaid. Has anyone ever seen a mermaid in pirate night?
crodrig1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:25 PM   #15
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggs1035 View Post
You can mail your costumes to the ship?
You can mail a package to yourself at Port Canaveral. Max size 12X12X12. There is info for mailing in the FAQ sticky above, but I've read recently that this info may be dated. I'd call DCL and make sure of the address. You can't mail food or liquids.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: