Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 06:00 AM   #31
havaneselover
DIS Veteran

I clean with a vinegar and water spray. I make homemade bagels and waffles about once a week and freeze whatever isn't eaten (the cost of the ingredients for a bagel or waffle is about $0.10 each). My newest project is moisturizing spray for my daughter's curly hair. Her hair is very dry and frizzy. I bought aloe vera juice and glycerin and am hoping it is works as well as what we're currently using at a fraction of the cost.

Would love the instructions on how to make homemade drain cleaner.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:38 AM   #32
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

Bagel recipe please!

I make tons of "hot pocket" kind of things for dh to take for lunch. Ham and cheese. Also make breakfast sausage and cheese muffins for him to take too.
java is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-29-2013, 06:44 AM   #33
mrsbornkuntry
I'm worried about raccoons
I carry a diaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by java View Post
Bagel recipe please!

I make tons of "hot pocket" kind of things for dh to take for lunch. Ham and cheese. Also make breakfast sausage and cheese muffins for him to take too.
Would you mind sharing your hot pocket recipe? I spend a fortune buying them for DH's lunches.

Beret...$15.00
Boots..$135.00
Having them HOME
on the floor....
PRICELESS
mrsbornkuntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:44 AM   #34
Jenny3
DIS Veteran

Would love to get a tried and true laundry detergent recipe!

I make a lot from scratch, but my favorite is granola bars. So easy, and delicious, kids gobble them up!

My DH is a woodworker and very handy, so that has saved us thousands on home repairs and improvements.

Nov 2012 - IA & US Orlando, SW, DC
Dec 2011 - WDW, Boardwalk Villas
Feb 2004 - WDW, IOA, Fort Wilderness Cabins
April 2000 - DL & US Hollywood
Jenny3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:52 AM   #35
pocomom
Brr.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychunkymonkey View Post
Our dog LOVES when we take pumpkin and add some water and freeze it. A bit messy but its fun for him and a cheap treat.
Great idea, one of our homemade treats has pumpkin in it and the dogs love it. Mine are fond of icy cold carrots too!
pocomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:16 AM   #36
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

good recipe for drain cleaner? please share! I am also looking for a good diy wood furniture polish, something that I can rub it in and really get it clean and shiny looking,my piano is in a terrible state.....
Old 01-29-2013, 08:46 AM   #37
havaneselover
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by java View Post
Bagel recipe please!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/boiled-bagels/

Have been making bagels for about four years routinely. I just switched to this recipe which is great. I use 1/2 bread flour and 1/2 whole wheat and usually make a double batch in a big kitchen aid.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:01 AM   #38
tinkermom23
DIS Veteran

I make this taco seasoning recipe. There's a ton out there but we tweaked this one to our family.

Homemade Taco Seasoning:
2 parts chili Powder
2 parts cumin
2 parts onion powder
2 parts garlic powder
1 part crushed red pepper
1 part paprika

There's lots of other DIY recipes here that I want to try but haven't had time:

http://selfreliancebyjamie.blogspot....easonings.html
Old 01-29-2013, 09:56 AM   #39
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbornkuntry View Post
Would you mind sharing your hot pocket recipe? I spend a fortune buying them for DH's lunches.
I use various doughs based on what else I am making that particular week.

Lately I have been using Bobby Flay's Pizza dough

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/b...ipe/index.html

Then I vary the fillings

One week it was pizzay with a TBSP of sauce cooked ground beef and mozzarella cheese or just pepperoni and the stuff

Last week it was Ham and cheddar.

I have also used turkey broccoli and cheddar with a bit of Mayo mixed in because that one gets a bit dry.
I love these because really it's just using up leftovers into a pocket and he'll eat it! - I bake at 400 just until they start to lightly brown.

One and I forgot another one! Homemade Pizza lunchables!

I use the Bobby flay dough- roll it out into a rectangle- bake and then cute into 8 big squares. Freeze each one individually. Package up little sauce and cheese (I use tiny tupperwares) Just take one out in the morning pop it into a lunch box. I wasn't sure how those would go over but the boys loved them and their friends all want the "recipe!" how cute is that!

Thanks for bagel recipe! I am going to try that!
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:08 AM   #40
havaneselover
DIS Veteran

You are welcome. I tried homemade pizza lunchables once but will have to try this method.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:16 AM   #41
TNT21
I have the attention span of a squirrel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsmamato2 View Post
good recipe for drain cleaner? please share! I am also looking for a good diy wood furniture polish, something that I can rub it in and really get it clean and shiny looking,my piano is in a terrible state.....
Okay so it's not homemade, but I found a great alternative to using harsh expensive chemicals in the bathroom drains...
At menards they have a tool called Zip it. At my store they are in the check out aisles. It's a long plastic wand with barbs on it that you use to clean out the drain. They come two in a pack for like $3. Granted it's not exactly pleasant to see what you pull out, but I haven't bought drain cleaner in years!
I also will put a little baking soda and vinegar down the drain followed by some hot water to keep the pipes clean...
TNT21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:56 AM   #42
teacup princess
DIS Veteran

Not homemade but I'm trying to learn to cut little boys hair. Could easily save me $30-$40 a month. So far we've had an occasional bald spot when the clippers got away from me and a day or two where we decided hats were a great accesory, but I'm learning. If anyone has any tips I'd appreciate it.
teacup princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:05 PM   #43
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny3 View Post
Would love to get a tried and true laundry detergent recipe!

I make a lot from scratch, but my favorite is granola bars. So easy, and delicious, kids gobble them up!

My DH is a woodworker and very handy, so that has saved us thousands on home repairs and improvements.
1 bar of Fels Neptha, grated
1 cup of washing soda (NOT baking soda, washing soda can be found in the laundry aisle)
1 cup of Borax
Mix well, put in an airtight 32 oz container, use 1 tablespoon per load.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkermom23 View Post
I make this taco seasoning recipe. There's a ton out there but we tweaked this one to our family.

Homemade Taco Seasoning:
2 parts chili Powder
2 parts cumin
2 parts onion powder
2 parts garlic powder
1 part crushed red pepper
1 part paprika

There's lots of other DIY recipes here that I want to try but haven't had time:

http://selfreliancebyjamie.blogspot....easonings.html
Thank YOU!!! I've been wanting to make my own for the longest time but kept forgetting to search for a recipe! This is perfect!!

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:14 PM   #44
Pigeon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacup princess View Post
Not homemade but I'm trying to learn to cut little boys hair. Could easily save me $30-$40 a month. So far we've had an occasional bald spot when the clippers got away from me and a day or two where we decided hats were a great accesory, but I'm learning. If anyone has any tips I'd appreciate it.

My MIL was a penny pincher, and insisted on giving haircuts to her sons and any other slow moving male relatives who didn't get out of the way fast enough. The problem is, she was terrible at it and refused to read any books on the subject or look for help.

My husband and his brothers often went to school with their scalps strategically colored in with crayons.
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:40 PM   #45
abcboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacup princess View Post
This is just what I was getting ready to post that I do to save money. I cut my younger 2 boys hair at home. We probably save over $100/year. Most of the time the oldest still goes to the barber cause he is older and a little more picky. DH cuts his own hair in the summer. I don't really have any tips but I do think I have gotten a lot better the more I do it. The key for me is to cut off a little at a time and do more as needed. You can always cut off more but can never take it back! You can probably look up a tutorial on youtube. One thing I've learned after the first time or 2 is not to cut their bangs with the clippers! They end up too short...unless they like that. My middle DS cried and cried when I did that. Now I do bangs with scissors only.

I sometimes try to do my own household repairs but it takes me FOREVER to research stuff and try to figure out how to do it and DH is really no better than me. I fixed my dryer a few years ago with the help of my dad. I probably spent HOURS though looking up possible problems and how to fix it etc. I tried to tear into my dishwasher a few months ago but got frustrated and ended up calling a repair guy. I know NOTHING about fixing cars. I would probably spend 10 hours trying to fix something that someone else could do in 15 minutes.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: