Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 12:02 PM   #1
DocMcstuffin
Earning My Ears

Taxi / Hire Car Advice

Hi All

First post.....great site.

We have a group of 7 coming to stay at Cypress Pointe Resorts, Treasure Cay Lane off on 29th July for 14 days.

I don't really want to hire a car as we'd like to walk to restaurants and with such a big group we'd need a big van!

I'm trying to get an idea of how much Taxi's would be from the resort to the usual places;

Disney
Universal
Sea World
International Drive

Any tips would be gratefully received!

Dan
DocMcstuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:53 PM   #2
FoodLover
Founder of MouseSavers.com

You can certainly walk to a lot of restaurants from that resort.

As far as getting to the parks, Mears has a taxi fare estimator:

http://www.mearstransportation.com/s...-estimator.asp

There are only a few selected "from" locations in the calculator and your resort is not one of them. Mary Queen of the Universe seems like the closest location they list. It's not fantastically accurate but it will give you a general idea... something in the region of $14 plus tip (so $16-ish) each way to SeaWorld, for example. I have found the estimator is low, so I'd count on $20.

However, not all taxis will carry 7 people, so you may have to get two regular taxis or specially order a van.

I know you don't want to "hire" a car (presumably you are from the UK or Australia/NZ since you used that term) but it probably would save you a lot of money and hassle to rent a minivan or a large SUV, either of which should carry 7 people.

Mary
MouseSavers.com
FoodLover is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-20-2013, 01:23 PM   #3
DocMcstuffin
Earning My Ears

Thanks FoodLover - yes I am from the UK

You've hit the nail on the head with my dilemma, do I hire a mini van for about £600 / $880 which is about $70 a day in taxis.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:51 PM   #4
FoodLover

Another thought - I don't see a theme park shuttle listed on the resort's website, but some third-party sites say a shuttle is available for a fee. It might be worth checking on that with the resort. If the fee isn't too high, that would be the easiest solution and you wouldn't have to drive on the wrong side of the road.

Mary
MouseSavers.com
Old 01-20-2013, 02:50 PM   #5
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

I'll respectfully disagree with the PP. Mary Queen of the Universe is close to the OPs resort "as the crow flies" but it's on the other side of I-4. The driving distances will be off.

Use the actual address for the property (8651 Treasure Cay Lane) results in an $11 fare to SW.

I'll second the idea of renting a car.

There is a lynx stop near your property. You could take Lynx bus #50 to Seaworld, Downtown Disney or to the Ticket and Transportation Center.

I'm not sure, you might be walking distance to Downtown Disney. You'd save a few dollars if you took Disney transportation to DTD then took a taxi.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:30 PM   #6
DocMcstuffin
Earning My Ears

I did wonder about shuttles from our resort, I'll check. I have to say I'm warming to the idea of a car. Might be fun! Still will walk to eat at night, I need to have a beer with my food after all.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:42 PM   #7
FoodLover

Lewisc is right - I glanced at a Google map briefly to see where the resort is, but forgot about I-4. Getting to Disney property from the resort would be quite a bit faster/easier than from the church.

It would be 2-mile walk to Downtown Disney from that resort, so that's not an option for most people.

Lynx bus is a good idea, though it only runs every 30 minutes and it looks like it will take you about 30 minutes to get to Ticket & Transportation Center -- from there, you'd have to transfer to other Disney transportation to get to your final destination. Might not be much worse than a shuttle, depending on how often the shuttle runs, etc.

Mary
MouseSavers.com
Old 01-21-2013, 12:00 AM   #8
Alesia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoodLover View Post
You can certainly walk to a lot of restaurants from that resort.

As far as getting to the parks, Mears has a taxi fare estimator:

http://www.mearstransportation.com/s...-estimator.asp

There are only a few selected "from" locations in the calculator and your resort is not one of them. Mary Queen of the Universe seems like the closest location they list. It's not fantastically accurate but it will give you a general idea... something in the region of $14 plus tip (so $16-ish) each way to SeaWorld, for example. I have found the estimator is low, so I'd count on $20.

However, not all taxis will carry 7 people, so you may have to get two regular taxis or specially order a van.

I know you don't want to "hire" a car (presumably you are from the UK or Australia/NZ since you used that term) but it probably would save you a lot of money and hassle to rent a minivan or a large SUV, either of which should carry 7 people.

Mary
MouseSavers.com
I find taxifarefinder.com to be much more useful than the mears calculator.

Alesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:55 PM   #9
DocMcstuffin
Earning My Ears

I did all the maths & even if I assume all the taxis are in rush hour it only costs £100 more to use Taxis when compared to renting a 7 seated minivan. By the time we've paid for parking and fuel the difference will be minimal. So I will now relax and be driven!

Thanks for all advice.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: