DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 11:20 AM   #76
CarolMN
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekjones1558 View Post
AFAIK, all HA 1, 2, and 3 bedroom villas have tubs.
This is my understanding as well.

BWV - Early Morning on May 2, 2008
Old 02-07-2013, 11:22 AM   #77
twinklebug
Dreaming in Mickey Vision
Too bad I wasn't 20, oh, I mean 3 years younger

Location: Left my heart in WDW, if found please leave at WL frontdesk

Quote:
Originally Posted by circhead View Post
I like the 1 bdrm at OKW for the tub. My oldest granddaughter(4) has Down's and loves swimming in the bubbles. Since the whirlpool tubs at OKW are huge I take my 2 young granddaughters ( 4 and 2) into it to go swimming.

I can manage the 2 of them by myself in the whirlpool but not in the resort pools.

If I ended up in an HA room that didn't have a tub it would ruin our vacation since I wouldn't be able to take the girls swimming!
For cases like yours where a tub is a must (I'm thinking studios here as I thought all 1brs had the tub) add it to the requests. Of course it's not a guarantee, but when checking in note the request and specifically ask if it's been granted and don't be afraid to tell them why you need one for your grandkids. (Don't do online check in as it makes it harder to switch out rooms.)

Last edited by twinklebug; 02-07-2013 at 12:16 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-07-2013, 11:42 AM   #78
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolMN View Post
This is my understanding as well.
I *thought* I remember someone saying that the 1BR on the concierge floor at AKV doesn't have a tub.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:12 PM   #79
sgtdisney
DIS Veteran

I really wish they would make this a booking category as well. I think it would take the "surprise" away from people who didn't expect a HC room when they checked in. I would probably save some of the conversation between CM and Member from having to remember to ask if they are assigned a HC room before they leave the desk, or be surprised upon entering it. If a room needed to be switched, like any booking category where a room or rooms go out of service, the member would be notified (in most cases) ahead of time.

I am really glad they have HC rooms for those who need them. For those that don't need them they can be problematic. We had a HC room once, before I started asking at the front desk, with a roll in shower. This was at OKW. I know the roll in shower serves a good purpose for those who need them, but at least at OKW, they are DANGEROUS for those who don't.

My wife had a fall a few years back which ended up putting her in a Wheelchair for over a year with RSD, not at Disney, but at home. The point here is, after over a year of painful therapy and injections to correct the RSD and make it livable, she absolutely cannot afford to fall again. I make it a point now to make sure to ask at check in so we don't get a room with a roll in shower. You can put the towels down, but I still feel it's still pretty dangerous, especially for people with balance issues, older family, etc. I can accept a HC room as long as we have another option than using the roll in shower. I always ask now, and so far the front desk has always been accommodating.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:34 PM   #80
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
There is ONE 1 bedroom that does not have a Jacuzzi tub, it is located in Jambo House, and I think it is one of the concierge units. To the best of my knowledge all other 1 bedroom and larger units have a tub.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Old 02-07-2013, 02:57 PM   #81
LisaS
DIS Veteran

There are two 1BRs in Jambo House that have roll-in showers instead of tubs:
Code:
Room Size  Category   Trail   View       Comments
5319  1B   Sav View   Kudu   Arusha   Roll-in shower, no tub
6202  1B   Concierge  Lobby  Sunset   Roll-in shower, no tub. No kitchen island.
Jambo 1BRs do not have room for a separate shower stall, they have a combo whirlpool tub and shower. Therefore, when they put a roll-in shower into a 1BR it was put in place of the combo tub/shower, meaning there is no tub in the room.

Here is the full list of HA rooms in Jambo House:
Code:
Jambo House HA rooms with a roll-in shower:

5456  ST   Std View   Zebra   Pool    Roll-in shower
*5319  1B   Sav View   Kudu   Arusha   Roll-in shower, no tub
 5483  GV   Sav View   Zebra  Uzima    Roll-in shower in master bathroom
*6202  1B   Concierge  Lobby  Sunset   Roll-in shower, no tub. No kitchen island.

Jambo House HA rooms with a tub (no roll-in shower):

*5010  1B    Value    Giraffe  Pool    HA room with tub. No kitchen island.
 5414  1B   Std View   Zebra   Pool    HA room with tub
 5205  1B   Sav View   Lobby  Sunset   HA room with tub
*5431  1B   Sav View   Zebra  Arusha   HA room with tub. No kitchen island.
 5216  1B   Sav View   Kudu   Sunset   HA room with tub
*6205  1B   Concierge  Lobby  Sunset   HA room with tub. No kitchen island.

* Information verified via a room report
Old 02-07-2013, 03:05 PM   #82
LisaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by irazabul View Post
I was put in a HA room and just dealt with it. Just out of curiousity, and I know some if it is described here already, what are the major 'inconviences" of a HA room? I've heard no vanity and a lower bath tub and bed - what else?
As I mentioned in my post above, our BWV HA Studio had a small armoire instead of the usual big closet. It was full of stuff (ironing board, pack'n'play, vacuum cleaner) so we had to empty it out and pile that stuff up in a corner of the room so that we could hang up some clothes.

There was no wall safe in the room either. We always use the room safe so having to leave our valuables stashed in drawers while we're out of the room was a concern.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #83
crisi
DIS Veteran

Thanks Chuck and Lisa, that is what I was remembering, and frankly, I hadn't kept up on BLT configurations.

So if you NEED a tub, get a one bedroom, but not at Jambo where you might get stuck in a room without one. Or request a tub, knowing it isn't guarenteed (but is pretty unlikely that you won't get one).
Old 02-07-2013, 03:09 PM   #84
crisi
DIS Veteran

The room we stayed in did have the shower spray issue (a two bedroom at boardwalk) and that was our "major" inconvenience. The trash wasn't behind a drawer, which might be an issue with young kids - as the sink was roll in. No bar on the kitchen/living room (more room for a wheelchair). Lower counters and beds. No vanities. No closet in the studio.

That was what we noticed and the only thing I found inconvenient was the shower spray, but extra towels and moving the shower head worked, it just took a shower to figure it out.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:27 PM   #85
BEASLYBOO
It's part of the charm
They go through some serious mayo there

We got a HA villa once, while I enjoy having the jacuzzi tub, higher toilets etc.. those items aren't a need but rather a like to have, there's no need to complain or ask for a change of room IMO. I would reserve that right for someone who truly has a need of an HA villa and for whatever circumstance did not receive it, then I think a free change of room is in order at the earliest an HA villa can be located.

February 15th -18th, 2014 - OKW-GV

Last edited by BEASLYBOO; 02-07-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:00 PM   #86
edk35
DIS Veteran

Our very first DVC stay was in an HA 2 br villa at SSR back in 07. Funny thing.....since it was our first stay...we didn't notice at first...then after we were in there a couple of hours we noticed things. We were able to be moved as well..but it was the next day and we had to check out by 11:00 too. It was a minor inconvenience, but not horrible.

DVC MEMBERS SINCE JAN. 2007

Aug 14 SOG/OKW/VERO Aug 13 OKW/Providence Golf Club Villas March 13 SSR/AKV July 12 BLT/SSR May 12 SOG
March/April 12 Windsor Hills
Jan. 12 VWL (1/20-1/28) Jan. 12 POR (1/6/-1/11) Jan. 11 OKW July 10 SOG/SSR/VERO July 09 POLY/BCV/AKV Jan. 09 OKW Nov. 08 SSR/ASMU MVMCP July 08 OKW/BCV Jan. 08 SOG Nov. 07 SSR MVMCP Aug. 07 SSR/BWV P&PP Jan. 07 SOG BECAME DVC MEMBERS!!!
Nov. 05 SOG/CSR Jan. 05 SOG Nov. 02 CR May 98 Poly May 95 SOG Dec. 93 CR Dec. 92 CBR July 92 Dixie Landing First Family Trip Off Site 87,86,82 (Single With Friends)
Old 02-07-2013, 09:04 PM   #87
BeckyV
Mouseketeer

We own at Sunrise Ridge Resort in Tennessee which is a member of Amber Vacation Club. It has five resorts that you can trade into internally. It is also a points system with studios, one, two, and three bedrooms. You know when you book the unit if it is a handicapped unit.

If Amber Vacation Club can handle its inventory marking handicapped, looks like Disney could do it as well. At one time Disney had to keep track of smoking and nonsmoking rooms which must have been more involved.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:14 PM   #88
Lenc324
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyV
We own at Sunrise Ridge Resort in Tennessee which is a member of Amber Vacation Club. It has five resorts that you can trade into internally. It is also a points system with studios, one, two, and three bedrooms. You know when you book the unit if it is a handicapped unit.

If Amber Vacation Club can handle its inventory marking handicapped, looks like Disney could do it as well. At one time Disney had to keep track of smoking and nonsmoking rooms which must have been more involved.
I agree Becky.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:07 PM   #89
gdrj
DIS Veteran

The HA room did not bother me but my wife was not a fan, for the reasons that many have metioned (bathroom vanity, shower head, walk-in shower). The one aspect I did not care for was the folding seat in the shower, which obviously we folded up. To me the white plastic seat just seemed unhygentic and made me question how well the shower could/was cleaned with that in it (it is perm and attached to the wall).

The argument of seperate room category would leave rooms unoccupied and or have people grabbing them 7/11 months out when they don't need them because other accomodations are booked.

I think another answer (which won't happen) is making the units more universally friendly. Design seems to be the issue. The wet floor I would think could be solved with different drainage. The storage issue could be designed. By keeping design simple when they built it was most likely cost control.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:56 PM   #90
donaldbuzz&minnie
Happy to be here!

DVC Premium Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Premium Membership

I have stayed in a HA studio at BCV and agree with the poster who said that the main problem was not the HA features that needed to be installed, but rather the way in which the needs of anyone staying in the room were disregarded. Based on the indifferent, makeshift design of the room, I could only conclude that Disney's attitude toward their disabled guests is that a disability = no need for any counter space whatsoever in the bathroom or the kitchenette, or any closet space. So if you're disabled, that makes it ok to have to pull a plastic table from the balcony into the bathroom to have some place to put your toiletries? This really made me angry.

Apparently Disney considers disabled guests to be second class citizens. There is no other reason I can think of as to why these rooms can't be functional and attractive - I easily mentally redesigned the room I was in and I'm no architect.

Disabled guests are spending good money too, and have every right to expect a comfortable, attractive room. I would have no problem whatsoever staying in a well-designed room for someone who is physically challenged. No bathtub? Grab bars? Higher toilet? Counters lower than "normal"? No problem. Complete lack of counter and closet space? No one should have to put up with that. And there's got to be a way to manage a roll-in shower that doesn't involve risking life and limb on slippery floors. (Shouldn't that be a prime concern in a room for people who, by definition, may not be steady on their feet?)

IMO Disney could solve most of their problem in this area by simply caring enough about their less able-bodied guests re-design their HA rooms so that the rooms function properly. I don't buy the argument that "someone" has to get the loser rooms, and we should all just grin and bear it when our turn comes up. That argument suggests that "loser" rooms are inevitable and, by extension, disabled guests aren't entitled to rooms that function well. I may only have to put up with a poorly designed room once in awhile. Why should Disney expect disabled guests to put up with one on every single visit?

I would consider myself to be too much of a princess (and not in a good way) if I weren't willing to take my turn in a well-designed HA room once in awhile. But no one should have to meekly accept HA rooms as they are currently designed.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: