DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 10:44 PM   #61
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripletsmama View Post
I think the HA booking category is a great idea. We had a HA unit at BLT last month. We talked about asking to switch rooms, but ultimately decided it's vacation, let's go with the flow.
In addition to what Dean said, bear in mind that booking categories would work both for and against members. While people who are confined to a wheelchair are aware of their needs 11 months out, other situations are quite different. I've read many stories over the years along the lines of "my daughter just broke her foot but we still want to go" or "I had unexpected surgery last week and my doctor says it's still OK to travel next month."

When issues arise unexpectedly, excess HA rooms gives the resort an opportunity to meet guest needs on the fly. With separate categories, someone who doesn't need a HA room has undoubtedly conceded to stay in one, leaving a newly impaired guest must either cancel or take their non-accessible room.

Not really sure which system would be better overall...but both approaches have their drawbacks.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
Old 02-05-2013, 11:16 PM   #62
dcfromva

Disney Fan

I think with a good design, the HC accomodations could be nearly transparent to folks who didn't need them.
Some of the HC rooms we have stayed in, it was no big deal. But, others it was a real pain.
For example, we stayed in a HC studio at BCV. The bathroom was huge, but there was no vanity--just a sink. So, no where to put stuff like tooth brush, tooth paste, brush and so on. I understand you have to make the sink accessible, but a shelf off to the side would have made things a lot easier to manage.
The same room had the microwave on the counter in the kitchenette, so virtually no place to put the toaster and coffee maker. Just around the corner from the kitchenette, there was plenty of space where a counter could have been installed to move the microwave over (or at least allow the other appliances to be put there.) Someone in a wheel chair is going to have just as much trouble trying to use the same appliances in such a tiny area.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-05-2013, 11:26 PM   #63
LisaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfromva View Post
I think with a good design, the HC accomodations could be nearly transparent to folks who didn't need them.
Some of the HC rooms we have stayed in, it was no big deal. But, others it was a real pain.
For example, we stayed in a HC studio at BCV. The bathroom was huge, but there was no vanity--just a sink. So, no where to put stuff like tooth brush, tooth paste, brush and so on. I understand you have to make the sink accessible, but a shelf off to the side would have made things a lot easier to manage.
The same room had the microwave on the counter in the kitchenette, so virtually no place to put the toaster and coffee maker. Just around the corner from the kitchenette, there was plenty of space where a counter could have been installed to move the microwave over (or at least allow the other appliances to be put there.) Someone in a wheel chair is going to have just as much trouble trying to use the same appliances in such a tiny area.
I agree. We had an HA studio at BWV. There was no place to leave anything in the bathroom even though there was plenty of room for storage shelves at an accessible height.

Instead of a closet there was a small armoire that was already full since it was also used to store the ironing board, vacuum cleaner and pack'n'play. I had to drag those heavy items out of the armoire so we could hang up some shirts. Want to put your valuables in a safe place while you head for the parks? Too bad, there was no safe in the room.

People who need an HA room deserve better. Those rooms should be at least as well appointed as the non-HA rooms.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:04 PM   #64
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfromva View Post
There are requirements as to what accommodations and how many villas must have X options. These have changed over the years and I'm not dramatically knowledgeable about the exact requirements. In general DVC and most locations have more HC rooms than they need, whether they have the rooms to accommodate a specific need is often a different situation entirely. I do not believe it's feasible or realistic to have one size fits all HC units and/or units that will make the rest happy and meet the legal requirements. If it were just wider doors, more space and hand rails, it'd be easy but it's far more complicated than that as I understand it.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:54 PM   #65
happyann79
Mouseketeer

Wow...that is amazing. I would be very upset however u cant let it ruin your whole vaca....write a complaint when you get home. I was placed in a smoking room once and nearly vomited over the smell...i demanded a new room. They found me one at the contemporary and even had a courtesy van take us. You just need to speak to the right people.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:22 PM   #66
rlovew

DISboards Moderator

I have only gotten HA rooms at OKW- in fact every first floor room we have had has been HA. The first time I called about the bathroom as soon as the first one of us took a shower and they sent extra towels no problem. The next time we had a first floor room I asked at the front desk if it was HA and they said yes and asked if it would be a problem. It doesn't matter to us there as we have enough room for our stuff on the vanity anyway at OKW- I just asked for extra bathmats/towels for the floor and they were actually hanging on our unit by the time we drove over and parked.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:05 AM   #67
shwn
Earning My Ears

I have been in a HA room several times as well and while it is not my first choice, I deal with it.

I just can not believe the attitude of some of the posters that state- they would not stand for being in one of those rooms. Just be very happy and thankful each time you are assigned to one of those rooms that you don't need one. If small things in life like this ruin a trip (or bother you), you need to learn to relax and enjoy life! Remember you are at Disney !
Old 02-07-2013, 10:17 AM   #68
irazabul
Mouseketeer

I was put in a HA room and just dealt with it. Just out of curiousity, and I know some if it is described here already, what are the major 'inconviences" of a HA room? I've heard no vanity and a lower bath tub and bed - what else?
Old 02-07-2013, 10:23 AM   #69
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by irazabul View Post
I was put in a HA room and just dealt with it. Just out of curiousity, and I know some if it is described here already, what are the major 'inconviences" of a HA room? I've heard no vanity and a lower bath tub and bed - what else?
The main issue is some have no tub, just a roll-in shower. With the roll-in shower, water can end up all over the bathroom floor.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #70
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
For some of them, no tub and a shower that sprays the entire bathroom and makes it wet and a fall hazard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwn View Post
I have been in a HA room several times as well and while it is not my first choice, I deal with it.

I just can not believe the attitude of some of the posters that state- they would not stand for being in one of those rooms. Just be very happy and thankful each time you are assigned to one of those rooms that you don't need one. If small things in life like this ruin a trip (or bother you), you need to learn to relax and enjoy life! Remember you are at Disney !
As I've stated, I'd rather not go than being in one. That said, it's part of what we all signed up for. Personally I'll ask to move and I'm willing to pay the fee if necessary and we've disturbed the room but I refuse to make it a big deal because it's part of the system. Not having a HC room is my #1 request now that NS is standard. However, the "Just be glad you don't need one and shut up" ploy simply rubs me the wrong way, IMO it's a copout. I refuse to feel guilty in this situation. We all have our trials and concerns. The ADA gives protections for those that need such though it's not perfect.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #71
irazabul
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
The main issue is some have no tub, just a roll-in shower. With the roll-in shower, water can end up all over the bathroom floor.
Yikes! I'm glad we didn't get that kind of HA. I can see that being really bad with kids.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:05 AM   #72
crisi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yikes! I'm glad we didn't get that kind of HA. I can see that being really bad with kids.
It used to be that this was only the case in studios. I'm not sure if there are some subsquent DVC configurations that don't have a tub in a one or two bedroom.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #73
sweetdana
DIS Veteran

I have not been assigned a HA room;

1 HUGE sell on the 1 bed room is the tub. If it had a big tub I wouldn't mind everything else. But if I used points for a 1 bedroom and it didn't have the big tub.. I wouldn't accept it.. Their web page clearly states whirpool tub on the ad, so I would expect that.

Prior to my new DD0 the reg tub missing in the studio wouldn't bother me; Having a DD1 -3 on the next few yrs of trips, I couldn't imagine trying to bathe her in the sink, or the shower.. I would have an issue for her for until I could help her shower. 2-3 yrs, (only if I needed the tub, and didn't get it).

Other than that I wouldn't care about most of it. missing counters, or short sinks, wouldn't bother me. .. no Tub if I needed one, or missed a big tub.. I would.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:06 PM   #74
circhead
Mouseketeer

I like the 1 bdrm at OKW for the tub. My oldest granddaughter(4) has Down's and loves swimming in the bubbles. Since the whirlpool tubs at OKW are huge I take my 2 young granddaughters ( 4 and 2) into it to go swimming.

I can manage the 2 of them by myself in the whirlpool but not in the resort pools.

If I ended up in an HA room that didn't have a tub it would ruin our vacation since I wouldn't be able to take the girls swimming!
Old 02-07-2013, 12:14 PM   #75
jekjones1558
Always happy at Disney

AFAIK, all HA 1, 2, and 3 bedroom villas have tubs.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: