Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 01:31 PM   #16
BethC1952
DIS Veteran
Has been VERY patient and VERY helpful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetexas View Post

Celebrity Equinox 15 days FLL to Barcelona $ 1,962.96 ($65.40 pppd)

Independence OTS 13 days FLL to London $ 1,234.32 ($47.47 pppd)

Norwegian Epic 15 days MIA to Barcelona $ 930.76 ($31.03 pppd) No, that wasn't a typo and if I wasn't going to be in classes, I'd book it tonight!

Disney Magic 14 days Galveston to Barcelona $ 2,082.16 ($74.36 pppd)

TA's usually cost less per day; maybe they feel bad for us because we have to fly!
Not sure what to compare this to, since it will be my first non-Disney cruise, but Royal Caribbean, Adventure of the Seas, trans-Atlantic 4/21/13 is $1298 for two adults in the least expensive outside room. We were originally booked on the Magic trans-Atlantic sailing 5/18/13, same two adults, in a Cat. 11 B GTY, for $2,299.44, which we booked onboard back in June. We had to change our plans due to a a work commitment. We are aware that our room will be smaller, and that soda is not included, but the difference between $46/pp per night and $82/pp per night will buy us a lot of soda, wine, and a few other things. The itinerary is very different, since AOS stops at St. Thomas, St. Maarten, St. Lucia, St. Kitts and Ponta Delgado (Azores) before arriving at Southampton, England, and Magic stops at Castaway Cay, Funchal and Gibraltar before arriving at Barcelona, Spain.

We're going into this with an open mind, and plan to have a great cruise, and our original plan was to spend five days in London anyway, and that's what we'll be doing!

Beth
Old 01-29-2013, 01:48 PM   #17
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethC1952
Not sure what to compare this to, since it will be my first non-Disney cruise, but Royal Caribbean, Adventure of the Seas, trans-Atlantic 4/21/13 is $1298 for two adults in the least expensive outside room. We were originally booked on the Magic trans-Atlantic sailing 5/18/13, same two adults, in a Cat. 11 B GTY, for $2,299.44, which we booked onboard back in June. We had to change our plans due to a a work commitment. We are aware that our room will be smaller, and that soda is not included, but the difference between $46/pp per night and $82/pp per night will buy us a lot of soda, wine, and a few other things. The itinerary is very different, since AOS stops at St. Thomas, St. Maarten, St. Lucia, St. Kitts and Ponta Delgado (Azores) before arriving at Southampton, England, and Magic stops at Castaway Cay, Funchal and Gibraltar before arriving at Barcelona, Spain.

We're going into this with an open mind, and plan to have a great cruise, and our original plan was to spend five days in London anyway, and that's what we'll be doing!

Beth
Nice! Have a great time

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Register to remove

Old 01-29-2013, 06:08 PM   #18
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethC1952 View Post

. . . Royal Caribbean, Adventure of the Seas

. . . Ponta Delgado (Azores)
We've been to Ponta Delgado twice on RCI. It's a beautiful island worthy of a scenic tour.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:45 PM   #19
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethC1952 View Post

Beth
I think this is the key--if you go into it talking about what is or isn't as good as whatever other line, you are setting yourself up for disappointment. If you take each as "this is what this line is like" you'll probably find as we have--some things we like better on DCL, some things we like better on other lines. Have fun!
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:18 PM   #20
LoriV
Earning My Ears

We are sailing on the Fantasy in a few weeks. At the time I booked, I priced out the identical itinerary and week on RCL (can't remember if it was Oasis or Allure) and Disney came out significantly less expensive for us. The difference was that we have a family of 5. On Disney we can stay in a cat 4A and all fit in one room. On RCL, we would have had to get 2 staterooms. It all worked out well since Disney is our top choice anyway!
LoriV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:30 PM   #21
bibbidibobbidibecky
The Fairy Godblogger

We really wanted to do DCL 12-night Med in June, but for an O9D at 4056 per adult I found Norwegian with better ports for 1699 in an ocean view room. Yes the rooms are smaller (157 vs 214) but wow the difference. My kids are only $425.

I know we will miss the kids clubs but there are only two sea days and this way we get Venice AND Greece! I'm staying positive

DCL: 2014 Greek Isles out of Venice, 2011 Med out of Barcelona, 2009 4-night Wonder.
WDW: 2014 Jan., 2012 Oct., 2011 Oct., 2010 Oct., 2009 Dec., 2008 Oct., 2008 May, 2006 Oct., 1997 April, 1996 April, 1993 Feb., 1992 Feb., 1980s various trips, 1977 First trip.
DL California: July 2012
DL Paris: June 2014
bibbidibobbidibecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:04 PM   #22
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriV
We are sailing on the Fantasy in a few weeks. At the time I booked, I priced out the identical itinerary and week on RCL (can't remember if it was Oasis or Allure) and Disney came out significantly less expensive for us. The difference was that we have a family of 5. On Disney we can stay in a cat 4A and all fit in one room. On RCL, we would have had to get 2 staterooms. It all worked out well since Disney is our top choice anyway!
We have that family of five problem, too. We prefer separate cabins but one thing I learned about RCCL is that they have family OV staterooms that don't appear for booking online, you have to call them. The ones on Oasis and Allure accommodate up to six people. I asked them why they aren't available online and was told that they won't let smaller parties reserve them solely for more space, that they are held for families.

I actually like the looks of the ones on the other class ships, they have a separate little bedroom. Now, if they only had an additional BATHROOM, I might consider sharing with my kids

Old 01-29-2013, 10:16 PM   #23
LoriV
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetexas View Post
We have that family of five problem, too. We prefer separate cabins but one thing I learned about RCCL is that they have family OV staterooms that don't appear for booking online, you have to call them. The ones on Oasis and Allure accommodate up to six people. I asked them why they aren't available online and was told that they won't let smaller parties reserve them solely for more space, that they are held for families.

I actually like the looks of the ones on the other class ships, they have a separate little bedroom. Now, if they only had an additional BATHROOM, I might consider sharing with my kids

Thanks for the tip! I didn't know that. We have been considering trying out Oasis or Allure sometime in the future. Although, quite honestly, I'm sick of the Caribbean / Bahamas. Our upcoming cruise will be our 7th in that area. I really want to go somewhere different.
LoriV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:48 AM   #24
PrincessTrisha
I know what he won't do for love.
Tootsie Pottynose - Hey I kinda like the tootsie part

i think the pricing depends on a lot of factors.

It pays to check out each cruise you're considering individually.

For instance, last October we ended up booking the Carnival Dream and cancelling our Disney Fantasy cruise. I had booked the Fantasy only 1 year ahead and the cost was to be $4200 for the 7 night cruise. I was able to book the Carnival Dream for $1720 (really great deal). That was too great a difference to stick with DCL.

For this October - I booked 2 years out. I'm paying about $3400 for the Disney Fantasy. I've done some comparison pricing but because I've got the lower price for DCL, the cruises are coming up a lot closer in price so I think we may stick with the Disney Fantasy.

On the flip side, I'm paying the same for a 9 night on RCCL's Explorer of the seas this February as I paid for a 4 night on the Disney Magic last April.

There are times I can justify the cost difference and times I can't.
PrincessTrisha is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: